Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Mar 2008 (Friday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best photography program in Toronto

NZDoug
"old fashion"
1,499 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: French Bay, on the shores of the mighty Manukau Harbour, Aoteoroa

Apr 01, 2008 21:06 |  #16

Ryerson photo course has been around since the 60s.
Most grads end up as sales reps for Father Kodak (old days) or Electronic flash distributers.
Get their hair cut and get a real job.... ;)

HEY! HO!
LETS GO!

sponsored links
telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 01, 2008 21:14 |  #17

I am going for the Humber Certificate in Photographic Techniques (6 courses to get the certificate). So I enrolled for Digital Photography 1, which should be a breeze since I have been learning on my on for about 2 years now, reading books and getting feedback here at POTN. Unfortunately its a pre-requisite for the courses I am really interested in which are: Portrait Photography 1, 2,3, Photographic Lighting, Fashion Photographer.

I am studying photography just to have a solid knowledge base and to learn technique. This is a hobby and a passion to me, not for changing my line of work. Apart from the big shot photographers of important magazines or recognized studio owners I seriously doubt I would be making more money than I am doing with my current job; so I am not planning to quit anytime soon...LOL...

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)
Gear -Model Mayhem -external linkFlickr -external linkWebsiteexternal link

Zvon
102 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 02, 2008 16:33 |  #18

Rafael,

I am just finishing up the Digital 1 class and its good, but it was a breeze - almost boring at times. The photoshop basic techniques are absolutely torture to go through as I've been using photoshop for almost 10 years and was hoping for something of a challenge, but it is an "intro" course so good luck and probably see you in one of the other classes you mentioned (Zvon is the real name, so you should easily recognize me)

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 02, 2008 21:12 as a reply to  @ Zvon's post |  #19

Thanks for the heads up Zvon. And yes may be I'll see you in the Portraiture classes.

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)

dredwings3119
181 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 07, 2008 13:12 as a reply to  @ telles75's post |  #20

Hi, I am new here.. I am also wondering about photography schools in Toronto.. I have went online to check them out and I would like to do some CE courses because I also want to work part time and stuff...... Anyways my question is with Humber College you have to take 6 courses to get a certificate..

So you sign up for these courses one at a time right?.. and then as you graduate from each class you move on to the next?.. I guess whats confusing me is what if they don't offer say fashion photography by the time I want to take it or it gets cancelled.. and how long do you have to complete the certificate?..

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated :)

Flickr (external link)

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 07, 2008 16:09 |  #21

If Humber is like Mohawk there are students that take a number of years to complete the certificate courses. there was one mature student in a course I took at Mohawk and he had been at it for 10 years (he was going for both the photography certificates = 11 courses) and could only take one course per year. Mohawk told me there is no time limit to program completion with the CE certificates. Might be the same at Humber. I also think you'll find these programs are well entrenched and quite popular so the chance of courses being indefinitely canceled is slim, though they might not be offered every term.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 07, 2008 23:47 |  #22

In just enrolled to Humber last week. You need to complete 6 courses to get the Certificate, but you do not need to sign up for all at once. You enroll one at a time. It will take me 6 semesters (that is 2 years) to complete it. Of course if you can finish it in less time if you take 2 courses per semester (that would be 1 year).

Rafael T.

dredwings3119
181 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 08, 2008 23:37 |  #23

Ok thank you so much to both of you for the replies :).. Im thinking of going to humber as well not sure about starting in may though but its a possibility.. Oh and one last thing do you know if there is a time limit to complete the certificate there?.. Thanks so much

Flickr (external link)

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 09, 2008 13:07 |  #24

As far as I know if you do not get out of school for more than 2 semesters, they should honour the program courses for the time you enrolled to the program. I think most colleges have a 3 to 5 year limit, but don't take my word for it. I work full time so 1 course at a time is the most I can devote to my hobby, so 6 semesters for me. Let me know if you enroll dredwings3119.

Rafael T.

offroadaction
20 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 17, 2008 11:18 as a reply to  @ telles75's post |  #25

Telles, how did your course go? I am looking at signing up for the same thing this fall...do the courses and get the diploma. Knowing that it was a beginner couse, and that it may be boring as Zvon pointed out, how was it?

Wes Kibble
Kamloops, BC
www.offroadaction.ca (external link)
www.offroadracecanada.​com (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 17, 2008 11:49 |  #26

Good luck with humber.

I've heard they're updating the lights they have with broncolor. Did that happen?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

BrandonSlaa
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 17, 2010 22:10 |  #27

hello, i have a similar question, yesterday i had my portfolio interview at humber college for creative photography, and i checked the ontario colleges site today and i have been accepted, my question is:
should i wait to see if i have got into sheridan where i have also applied, or should i just go and accept the humber one and go there. i am not too sure what different things are taught at each school and have nothing to base a decision on. please help.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 17, 2010 23:11 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

I hear good things about loyalist college near toronto. Perhaps give them a try.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 17, 2010 23:12 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

NZDoug wrote in post #5241636 (external link)
Ryerson photo course has been around since the 60s.
Most grads end up as sales reps for Father Kodak (old days) or Electronic flash distributers.
Get their hair cut and get a real job.... ;)

I think Ryerson may be graduate students only.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 17, 2010 23:25 |  #30

To be honest I only went to the first 4 weeks at Humber and was so bored I decided to quit and ask for a partial refund. Since that time (about 2 years ago) I have went to photography workshops and although more costly I really learn faster and find it more interesting than regular college curriculum. I have read more than a dozen photography books in this past years as well, ranging from modeling posing to lighting. I am really excited about attending a workshop at New York this April offered by Frank Doorhof, who happens to be one of my favourite photographers. A part from that I have been doing photoshoots at least 2 or 3 times a month, so I am happy with my progression so far. I am not sure if College would had worked better or not, but at least for me I think it wasn't meant to be.

Rafael T.

sponsored links

19,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best photography program in Toronto
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.