Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 17:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CF cards.

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 02, 2008 17:21 |  #1

I have looked over all of the specs and cannot find a definitive answer.

I have a great deal on the following.

• General Features:
  • 5 GB capacity
  • Type II CF+ interface
  • 3600 RPM speed
  • 2 MB buffer
  • 16.0 ms average seek time (Read)
  • 8.3 ms average latency
Seagate ST1 5 GB CompactFlash Card.

Will the 40D work with this card.
I have been unable to get a reply from canon and there is no real info on it.
Plus the forum searches here revealed nothing.

So do the experts here have any clues for this lost one.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

sponsored links
Doug ­ Pardee
838 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 02, 2008 17:30 |  #2

Yes it will work, but I'd wonder why anyone would want to mess around with a Microdrive these days. Actual flash memory is dirt cheap, a lot faster, and (anecdotally) more reliable.

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 02, 2008 17:35 |  #3

If I remember right the ST1 was considered a micro drive, and these drives have the same pin layout as standard CF cards. I used one years ago with a Nikon D1H and worked fine with that. My thought is that the micro drives are like hard drives that they have a platter system that it records on, and that would make more prone to damage then CF cards.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Apr 02, 2008 17:39 as a reply to  @ gromeo's post |  #4

I would pass on the Microdrive--slow and not very energy efficient.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 02, 2008 19:28 |  #5

Pass - Seagate makes MicroDrives with 2 different interfaces, and it's never easy to be sure you're getting the right one. The wrong one will fit, but not work. And, as others have said, Microdrives may be less durable and are slower than flash memory cards. Also note that Canon specifically says not to mix Live View and microdrives.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

DSMITH131
850 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 02, 2008 20:05 |  #6

I hear if you drop them they are trash

Daniel W. Smith Photography (external link)
Mayhem (external link)
Gear

X-WoodButch
438 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 02, 2008 21:00 |  #7

Jon wrote in post #5248033 (external link)
Pass - Seagate makes MicroDrives with 2 different interfaces, and it's never easy to be sure you're getting the right one. The wrong one will fit, but not work. And, as others have said, Microdrives may be less durable and are slower than flash memory cards. Also note that Canon specifically says not to mix Live View and microdrives.

Jon is absolutley correct! Micro-drive's run hot anyway so any additional heat will slow down Live-View or it could stop working all together!:confused:

Canon 50d+Grip, 40d+grip, 20d+grip, Nikon D300+grip, Canon MR-14EX TTL Ring Lite, Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash, Canon EF 70-200mm F4.0 L USM, Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 2 Niffty-Fifty, Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm, Tammy 28-75mm, Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC lens, Tokina 12-24mm f4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO HSM Macro, Manfrotto #3047 legs & head, Bogen/Manfrotto 676B Monopod, Canon Monopod 100, Slik Pro 340 DX Tripod and a bunch of NIKON stuff...

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2008 21:02 |  #8

Pass. I prefer to use cards I can drop because it's pretty much guaranteed I will drop them.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

DDan
Goldmember
1,725 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 02, 2008 21:04 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #9

Microdrives have moving parts. Flash memory does not have moving parts. Moving parts fail sooner. :lol:

My Gear
DansRacePhotos.com (external link)

Dangerous Dan

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,212 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 02, 2008 21:04 |  #10

Yikes.. Pass=Microdrives

Made sense a few years back, but not with the new CF cards efficency and SPEEEEEEEEED

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

Stormin_24
Cream of the Crop
5,810 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 03, 2008 01:47 |  #11

Your better off with the flash card from Sandisk... http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …eme_III_Compact​Flash.html (external link)

New Hampshire State Bird: Purple Finch
http://www.netstate.co​m …birds/nh_purple​_finch.htm (external link)
Gear
Norman
Did they get you to trade, your hero's for ghosts?

flyingwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 03, 2008 16:47 |  #12

Yep, found a good price for some Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB cards.
Planning on picking up about 10 of them, I figure its better to have 2 gigs of picture lost if the card goes nuts then to have an 8 gig card crap out.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 03, 2008 17:39 |  #13

Costco was selling the 4GB SANDISK Ultra II last week for $28 at the counter with the instant rebate. Can't beat that, so I bought another...

-Mario

Gear List

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Apr 03, 2008 19:13 as a reply to  @ m3rdpwr's post |  #14

I had a 4GB Seagate on my 20D for a while, it ceased working after a firmware upgrade, and had known issues with most of the current Canon DSLRs at the time.

The other thing was I was really paranoid about it, it was just not nice to have around, always concerned it would get bumped to hard, squeezed to tight etc.

In the end I got my money back as Seagate at the time did not have a fix for the firmware issue.

On the 5GB cards, most don't actually support the CF functions, only ATA so don't work in cameras.

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

sponsored links

1,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
CF cards.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.