Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Apr 2008 (Tuesday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What sig do you use?"
"Your name" only
64.1%
"Your name photography"
20.5%
Logo only
12.8%
"Your name photography" and logo
0%
Your name" and logo
2.6%

39 voters, 39 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Signature on prints

microman23
728 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2008 18:21 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

What do you use?

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,285 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 01, 2008 18:27 |  #2

In all my years of looking at gallery exhibits I've never seen anything more than simply "the name." Besides, "Ansel Adams Photography" would look sort of dorky on a print of Half Dome.

I only sign my first and last name, but I do include the year.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,353 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 01, 2008 18:57 |  #3

First/last name and year...bottom right side in either black or silver.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 01, 2008 19:00 |  #4

Nothing...

If someone is going to pay me for one of my prints, IMO, they're entitled to the entire print and I shouldn't make an ad out of it.

I would consider adding my contact info and copyright statement on the back, however.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

canuck88
237 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2008 19:02 |  #5

Why don't you have 'nothing' as an option? I agree with flyingphotog.

Scott

5DII, 40D, + a bunch of lenses, studio strobes, & other stuff.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,285 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 01, 2008 19:06 |  #6

You know Flying, you make an excellent point and I was a bit hasty in my response. I've actually never signed any of my prints. I do sign the matte though that goes over them. And like Mike said, bottom right hand corner. I may even include a typed artists statement on back of the matte out of sight.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #5240821 (external link)
Nothing...

If someone is going to pay me for one of my prints, IMO, they're entitled to the entire print and I shouldn't make an ad out of it.

I would consider adding my contact info and copyright statement on the back, however.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

microman23
THREAD ­ STARTER
728 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2008 19:08 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I never sign any of my prints either... digitally or with a pen.

This will be for my portfolio pictures.

Yanis
433 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 01, 2008 22:12 as a reply to  @ microman23's post |  #8

Another vote for no sig on photos. Same reason as FlyingPhotog.

I do, however, try to remember putting a signature when posting my photos on the web.

Peace,
Yanis :D

Gear:
5D MK IV | 30D | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 2x II Extender | AB400 | AB800

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 02, 2008 23:35 |  #9

Ansel Adams said it best, "God doesnt sign his work, so why should I." I only sign if asked by the customer though.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

NZDoug
"old fashion"
1,499 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: French Bay, on the shores of the mighty Manukau Harbour, Aoteoroa

Apr 02, 2008 23:48 |  #10

I sign the matt with the name and year using a charcoal pencil.
You get charcoal pencils from artist supply places.
I do some test signings on scraps before the final as Ive screwed up my name when the pencil has dug into the matt.
Its a big moment and easy to screw up.

HEY! HO!
LETS GO!

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,254 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 02, 2008 23:49 |  #11

I sign some landscapes with my first name, last name and year. Silver pen usually.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,285 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 03, 2008 05:36 |  #12

Besides NZDoug and myself, is anybody else matting and framing their work for presentation/sale and signing accordingly?

GEAR LIST

Ved
20 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 03, 2008 08:54 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #13

I put my full name in either bottom corner of the actual print. It's usually covered by the mount upon framing. I think its nice, as in years to come someone might like to know who took the photograph and now they will.

The Mr Adams quote makes me chuckle, in-fact so does religion...sometimes.

keegsmeister
380 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 17, 2008 04:34 |  #14

Do people normally sign on Canvas prints? I'm invited to a gallery to present one of my work and I'm thinking of placing my digital signature on the bottom right hand corner, not sure whether it will ruin the balance of the image though.

Keegan.
5DMK2+50D | 70-200mm f/2.8L and f/4L IS USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f4L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 580EX2 | 430EX |
http://www.keeganwong.​com/blog (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,285 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 17, 2008 08:08 |  #15

I suppose it depends on how large/intrusive the signature is relative to the size of the final image. I've never done a canvas print myself, but my father was an oil painter and always signatured his work in the lower right. He'd usually somehow incorporate into an element of the image.... quite clever actually ;).

keegsmeister wrote in post #5346613 (external link)
Do people normally sign on Canvas prints? I'm invited to a gallery to present one of my work and I'm thinking of placing my digital signature on the bottom right hand corner, not sure whether it will ruin the balance of the image though.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
Signature on prints
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.