Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Apr 2008 (Sunday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade 30D to 40D?

intrinsicvalue
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 06, 2008 13:58 |  #1

Hello everyone,

I've had my 30D for a little less than a year and a half and love it. It is my first dslr after upgrading from a powershot, and I have never experienced any problems. At this point I am very familiar with its functionality, performance, etc. You might even say I'm attached to it in a way I could only expect other photographers to understand.

I have the opportunity to "upgrade" to a 40D for little to no cost if I so desire. I'm aware of the new features such as Live View and the self cleaning sensor, and the differences in the menu set up. I've even gotten to snap a few shots with my friend's 40D. When I asked him if he felt the 30D out performed the 40D in any way, or if there were any features that were part of the 30D that were not available with the 40D, he simply said no.

My question is, should I trade in my 30D for the 40D? I've read several complaints about the 40D on this forum which give me pause. Is my hesitation unfounded, or should I hold on to my 30D?

All opinions are welcome!

Visit me please! stefaniepoteet.com (external link) :)

sponsored links
ooo
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 06, 2008 14:01 |  #2

Well, if someone doesn't need it and their going to hand you it for free, then a 40d is definitely an upgrade to the 30d. More mp, live view, etc. You will see little differences in the quality of the prints. I haven't seen any posts about posts with 40d.

DDan
Goldmember
1,725 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 06, 2008 14:07 as a reply to  @ ooo's post |  #3

I wouldn't worry about a few posts on here about problems. For every problem posted here there are a million good cameras out there.

My Gear
DansRacePhotos.com (external link)

Dangerous Dan

overclock
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 06, 2008 14:19 |  #4

My 40D consistantly gives blurry, out of focus (OOF), barely recognizable shots, not to mention the absolute worst composition and framing...when my 5 year old is snapping away. I really have to get her her own camera. However, in my hands, well I still get the same results but more because of user error than camera error. I have never had a problem with my 40D. In the end my upgrade from the 30D cost me about $30 and it was worth it. You have absolutely nothing to lose so go for it!

I love the 6.5 fps, dust shaker, and the custom menu is the bomb. I have quality, format, white balance and a couple of other things in My Menu and really like not having to tab around to do those things I do about 99% of the time.

MrChad
Goldmember
2,815 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 06, 2008 15:11 as a reply to  @ overclock's post |  #5

I don't notice any difference in prints or photos. I do however like the new menu setup of the 40D and the larger viewfinder prism. If you won't pay much out of pocket go for it. But if you have other things to spend money on I'd do that instead.

I shoot them both side by side often, the 30D is a very good camera. I actually prefer the button layout around the LCD better on the 30D, else the 40D is a very nice rig.

I kaNt sPeL...
[Gear List]

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 06, 2008 15:14 |  #6

DDan wrote in post #5272141 (external link)
I wouldn't worry about a few posts on here about problems. For every problem posted here there are a million good cameras out there.

Well stated

I upgraded from the EOS 30D which I throughly enjoyed in every aspect of its use. The EOS 40D has been a nice step up with all the available new features and yes Live View is very helpful in Macro & Landscape work. The ability to check focus at 10x works wonders.

IQ wise the two are nearly the same but with the 40D's 14 bit RAW file will give you smoother transitions in the color levels.

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 06, 2008 18:03 |  #7

MrChad wrote in post #5272490 (external link)
I shoot them both side by side often, the 30D is a very good camera. I actually prefer the button layout around the LCD better on the 30D, else the 40D is a very nice rig.

I prefer the button layout as well, but figured I could adjust.

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 06, 2008 21:59 |  #8

No other thoughts?

Ever
47 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 06, 2008 22:33 |  #9

I'm in the same dilemma. I got a good feel of the camera and got to play around with the menu a bit. It really wasn't all that hard to figure out it's sub-menus and custom settings.

I really like the fact that you can have 3 different custom settings and still be able to make change,s if need be. The 6.5 fps is really nice too.

Check out this review (external link)..it's a good read, good luck.

John ­ T
128 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 07, 2008 03:56 as a reply to  @ Ever's post |  #10

If, as you say, if you can change for "little or no cost" - well why not? :)

However, I suppose it really depends if you call yourself a "photographer" or a "camera collector" ;)

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Apr 07, 2008 04:08 as a reply to  @ John T's post |  #11

The 14 bit processor and improved AF made it an easy decision for me.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 07, 2008 05:16 |  #12

If it were me in the same position, the 40D would be in my hands right now.:)

Marbeck
606 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 07, 2008 08:27 |  #13

The 30D is a great camera but, if you can get the 40D for little or no money extra then I say go for it.

Martin Birkbeck :Canon EOS 6D(Gripped):) Canon PowerShot G12:),Canon EOS 1000 film, Canon EF 24-105mm F/4L :cool:Canon EF 17-40mm F/4 L ;) Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 is L,:D Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 IS L :D Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 :cool: Canon EF 1.4x II Converter, Kenko Extension Tubes,Canon 430EXII, 430 EX, & 420EX speedlights,Canon ST-E2 speedlite transmitter, Canon ML-3 Macro Ringlight,Tamrac Expedition 8x Bag, www.martinbirkbeckphot​ography.co.uk (external link)

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 07, 2008 09:20 |  #14

I have a 30D and 40D. There are a few things that might appeal to you. First of all the focusing is faster and more accurate on the 40D and that includes Servo. If you like to photograph birds in flight etc. the 40D is a better camera. Live view is something I thought I wouldn't use but it is very helpful in landscapes as you can get a much better view of what is acceptably in focus. If you like to shoot macro the live view will help you there as well as you can magnify the image 10X for critical focusing. Beyond that it is all little stuff, another frame and a half pe rsecond of continuous shooting, a different menu layout, highlight priority,etc.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 07, 2008 10:16 |  #15

Larry Weinman wrote in post #5277349 (external link)
I have a 30D and 40D. There are a few things that might appeal to you. First of all the focusing is faster and more accurate on the 40D and that includes Servo. If you like to photograph birds in flight etc. the 40D is a better camera. Live view is something I thought I wouldn't use but it is very helpful in landscapes as you can get a much better view of what is acceptably in focus. If you like to shoot macro the live view will help you there as well as you can magnify the image 10X for critical focusing. Beyond that it is all little stuff, another frame and a half pe rsecond of continuous shooting, a different menu layout, highlight priority,etc.

In what instances do you choose to use the 30D over the 40D, or does it simply serve as a back up?

sponsored links

2,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade 30D to 40D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.