Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Head to head - in the field notebook

Gidi ­ Morris
394 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 09, 2008 02:38 |  #1

Hi,
I've reached a point where I'm need of a powerful notebook for doign the intial image selection & post production in the field.

I'm trying to figure out what the specifics should be for a laptop which will be able to run PS CS3 (and newer when applicable) + Lightroom + all daily uses of a laptop.

At the moment I'm trying to shoose between these two laptops:
1) HP Pavilion dv6790ej which cost me 6,900 NIS (about 2000$) and has the following specs:
Microprocessor 2.50 GHz Intel Core2 Duo processor T9300
Memory 4096 (2 x 2048 MB)
Hard Drive 250 GB (5400)
Screen ''15.4
(Many more details here: HP Specigfications (external link))

2) Apple Macbook Pro for 3,000$:
Microprocessor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2048 MB (can expand to 4GB later)
Hard Drive 200 GB (5400)
Screen ''15.4
(more Here (external link))

Assuming I plan on getting an external ruggedized HD so the intial HD size isn't very important to me.

The thing is, the Macbook looks like a silly decision because the specs seem lower & is 1000$ more, but everyone keeps telling me that graphics work much smoother on Macs- so I'm asking.

Which of the two?
Thanks!

flickr (external link) & deviantART (external link)
GMMorris.Com (external link)

Whats in my Domke?

sponsored links
Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,197 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 09, 2008 02:50 |  #2

Depends upon how much into the future your looking, I believe that the next version of Photoshop CS4?? is going to be Windows 64bit only. Who knows when this is going to be though:rolleyes:

Gidi ­ Morris
THREAD ­ STARTER
394 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 09, 2008 02:52 |  #3

Would a 64bit version of PS work on these laptops anyway?
Aren't these 32bit processors?

Whats in my Domke?

Stephan.
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 09, 2008 05:09 |  #4

I think most current processors are capable of running a 64-bit OS. They have "64-bit extensions" anyway. The only thing you do need however is a 64-bit OS. Right now, it should't be too much of an advantage because CS3 is reported to have some problems on Vista 64 here and there. It is only certified for the 32-bit version. I don't think that CS4 will be an exclusive 64-bit version. There are too many computers that run the tried-and-trued XP.

nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 09, 2008 08:46 |  #5

Trying to future proof technology (and especially computers) is a waste of time. Rather than buying the best and newest you do better buying a generation behind, saving lots of money and getting similar performance at a lesser price. For Photoshop (depending on exactly what you do) I would be more concerned with how much memory I could stuff into said laptop, and 64bit is almost no concern as most laptops don't do over 4gb of memory anyway.

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 09, 2008 08:59 |  #6

Gidi, does the HP allow RAM memory to be upgraded to 4Gb later? I won't choose it if it max out at 2Gb, especially if Vista is the platform.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

ELT_Photo
301 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 09, 2008 11:50 |  #7

You might look at a refurb Mac Book Pro - great bang for the buck - nadtz is right about futureproofing, the technology moves too fast.
Mac Book Pro is a great machine, mine got caught in a thunderstorm while open and running - had to pour water out of it - still works like a champ!
Plus, its a Mac.

Passion - Dedication - Inspiration (and some gear)

photographer ­ unknown
308 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 09, 2008 12:18 |  #8

The Mac Book Pro is a great machine. I just purchased one with the same specs you listed for $2000. I had/have a windows machine but I love the Mac Book Pro.

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 09, 2008 12:48 |  #9

If you can afford a Mac, take it.
You will save a LOT of time avoiding the virus screen software going through everything you download or receive in email related messages. IF you want to run XP, you can either boot up your Mac as a winmachine or use a simulation software. I also have XP on my Mac and I've used it twice. A terribly frustrating experience as the machine kept asking whether I REALLY wanted to launch the software that I just had bought.

The Mac built quality is something you might want to pay for as well. Or the ease of which networking, file sharing etc work with no rocket science required from the user's side.

so, if you want to "just do it" get a Mac

If you feel like installing, upgrading, screening viruses and so forth, you can also do it on an Intel Mac. Once you recovered your senses you can boot it up as a Mac again.

But if you do not have the money and you have the time, why not Windows.
If syncing a cell phone is an issue, Mac can be a real PITA.

bag

medic-on-fire
122 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 09, 2008 12:53 |  #10

After working for years and years on Windows PC's, I finally took the plunge and made the switch to Mac about two years ago. I'm running a MacBook Pro 15.4", and I couldn't be happier. The graphics are greatly improved over any Window's machine I've ever worked on, and the OS is so much more intuitive (IMHO). I still have a couple XP machines that I use within my network, but to be honest, I actually don't like using them -- I always reach for my Mac first!

I'm sure that your intention in starting this thread was not to create another Windows vs. Mac "urinating" contest, but fwiw, I would purchase the $1K more expensive Mac lappy without a moment's hesitation.

You know what they say: Once you go Mac, you don't go back! ;)

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do...

Gripped 40D | EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Original Lensbaby | Speedlight 430EX | Bogen Manfrotto 055XPROB | Bogen Manfrotto 488RC2

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 09, 2008 13:14 |  #11

I am sorry this a aside of the subject but probably you have all heard about the theory according to which a big enough crowd of monkeys given enough computers and time would eventually come up with Shakespeare's complete works.

A field test proved the premise false. A monkey is not a random figure generator.
What happened that the monkeys kept pounding mostly the letters in the middle of the keyboard. TYUHJNBGHYUJYHGBVNHJHY does not spell "Midsummernight's Dream" no matter how one encodes or decodes it. After a while our cousins got bored about the game, urinated and defecated on the keyboards and smashed them against rocks and tree trunks.

It was the Medi-con-on-fire who got me started on this.
His fault!

Ok 3 beers, time to log out.

bag

darksparkz
214 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 09, 2008 13:20 |  #12

Well, you do know that you need a 64-bit OS to be able to take 4GB of ram, otherwise a 32-bit OS would only show 3.2GB.

Speeds are very similar in both computers, with the MBP having a 8600M with 512MB and the HP having a 8400M with 256MB video card.

The reason why the mac has less ram is beacuse the OS itself doesn't require that much to begin with. Windows Vista in general requires more ram, that's why they offer 3GB or 4GB configurations, while 2GB on the mac is plenty. I run plenty of photoshop and illustrator applications as well as architectural programs and with my 2GB on my MBP, it's fine.

On the Windows side, you'll have to worry about all the virus/spyware as well as the occasional blue screen or any other errors you may run into. In general the Mac is a faster computer if you compare programs thats running on both at the same time.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Gidi ­ Morris
THREAD ­ STARTER
394 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 09, 2008 15:52 as a reply to  @ darksparkz's post |  #13

cfcRebel wrote in post #5292295 (external link)
Gidi, does the HP allow RAM memory to be upgraded to 4Gb later? I won't choose it if it max out at 2Gb, especially if Vista is the platform.

It comes with 4GB :)

ELT_Photo wrote in post #5293347 (external link)
You might look at a refurb Mac Book Pro - great bang for the buck - nadtz is right about futureproofing, the technology moves too fast.
Mac Book Pro is a great machine, mine got caught in a thunderstorm while open and running - had to pour water out of it - still works like a champ!
Plus, its a Mac.

Nope, no refurb for me- only new. I have a fobia of refurbs.

photographer unknown wrote in post #5293501 (external link)
The Mac Book Pro is a great machine. I just purchased one with the same specs you listed for $2000. I had/have a windows machine but I love the Mac Book Pro.

Not in Israel ;)
We have to pay a little more than you guys for this stuff.

medic-on-fire wrote in post #5293713 (external link)
I'm sure that your intention in starting this thread was not to create another Windows vs. Mac "urinating" contest, but fwiw, I would purchase the $1K more expensive Mac lappy without a moment's hesitation.

Not at all :)
I don't think those threads ever end well.

Just for you info guys - I am seriously leaning towards the Mac.

Whats in my Domke?

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 11, 2008 01:08 |  #14

About syncing a cellphone on the Mac...
There are companies who sell plug-ins that able iCal and Address book synchronization with iSync if the ones Mac itself comes with (quite a few) do not work with the latest of the latest. In which case you might have to resort to NovaMedia stuff http://www.novamedia.d​e/index_e.html (external link)

The only phone that absolutely ipponed me and my Mac was the SE m600i.
It also broke down 2 weeks after the guarantee expired. A beautiful phone that had been launched to be beta tested by end-users. Shameful!

So there goes another excuse to not to down the drain.
I am on the 4th year of my PBook G4. Getting a new battery.
An external HD for the Time Machine Backup...some of these things you really appreciate even if IT happens only once!

Back up. Time Machine which comes with the Leopard OS does it automatically if you want. SuperDuper I used to BU my startup disk. Then there is the ChronoSync which enables me to keep the two "Documents" folders on my 2 Macs synchronized.

It is funny how many things you learn when you dip a clic clac sofa on your laptop and the hard disk goes "Screech"....

bag

photographer ­ unknown
308 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 11, 2008 02:10 |  #15

Gidi Morris wrote in post #5294838 (external link)
Not in Israel ;)
We have to pay a little more than you guys for this stuff.

I looked to see if you had listed a location. :oops: But that is quite a bit more I would say. FWiiW, you will enjoy the mac.

sponsored links

2,638 views & 0 likes for this thread
Head to head - in the field notebook
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.