Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 08:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Help Removing People in Background!

intrinsicvalue
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2008 08:37 |  #1

I shot my sister's senior pictures last weekend and am in the process of editing before sending them to my parents for review and selection. I would love to keep this picture because the expression is great and I didn't manage to capture it in any other shot over the course of four days. Unfortunately, the two beachgoers in the background are killing me! I tried cloning them out to no avail. I've posted the full res image here:

http://www.mediafire.c​om …ckkey=m0a4rbx1m​mf&thumb=4 (external link)

Your help is greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

Stefanie

Visit me please! stefaniepoteet.com (external link) :)

sponsored links
sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 09, 2008 09:06 |  #2

this is my meager attempt....

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 261283 does not exist. ]

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2008 09:09 |  #3

sidx001 wrote in post #5292341 (external link)
this is my meager attempt....

What did you do? Anyway to upload a high res version?

yanz
499 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 09, 2008 11:12 |  #4

Here is my try at it. It's a little bit soft on the right side but it might work.

IMAGE: http://images22.fotki.com/v837/photos/5/55129/3411285/IMG_0331a-vi.jpg
Here is the link to the full size image http://images22.fotki.​com …129/3411285/IMG​_0331a.jpg (external link)
Let me know what you think.

Good luck,
Yan

Canon 5D, Rebel XTi
Canon 24-105 F4L, 10-22, 50 F1.8, 100mm F2.8 Macro
Canon 430EX 2 Alien Bees B800
http://public.fotki.co​m/yan1978 (external link)
http://www.devicefulph​oto.com (external link)

krusnof
252 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 09, 2008 11:48 |  #5

In Photoshop it is simply the Clone tool! Good luck there are 1000s of tutorials on the net. Google it! ;-)a

Best regards

Kristian Kruse
40D + 50mm f/1.4 + 17-40mm f/4.0L + 430EX + Epson R1800

www.designforlife.dk (external link) + Flickr profile (external link)

sniperkittie
42 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 09, 2008 11:52 |  #6

My version.

I have no account to upload the larger file. Mediafile will not let me open a free account.
Any suggestions?

Edit Mediafile finally let me open an account. Here is the link to my version of your image.

http://www.mediafire.c​om …ckkey=gzcdir0yh​r1&thumb=4 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jack
Amateur Corel Photo-Paint user.

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2008 12:38 |  #7

krusnof wrote in post #5293329 (external link)
In Photoshop it is simply the Clone tool! Good luck there are 1000s of tutorials on the net. Google it! ;-)a

I tried cloning... I had issues with the portion of the man that was behind her hair, and ended up with a nasty pattern. It clearly looked edited. After an hour I gave up.

suzyb
358 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 09, 2008 14:00 |  #8

I was bored, so I went overboard just for the fun of it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Roach711
717 posts
Joined May 2004

Apr 09, 2008 14:01 as a reply to  @ intrinsicvalue's post |  #9

Use the patch tool to get rid of the guys upper bodies (select the patch tool, click/hold and draw around the two guys' bodies then drag the selection to the sand area to the right of your friend). You may need to use the clone stamp to clean up the bottom of the selection near the cross bar.

Use the clone stamp to get rid of their legs. When cloning it's usually best to make several small repairs instead of one or two big repairs.

Removing the guys will probably also take out part of her leftmost hair strands between the green cross bars. I would clone out the outer strands to avoid a "hacked" look.

---------------
50D, 100-400 L IS, 100 Macro 2.8, 24-105 L IS, 420EX, No talent

Shoot 'em all and let Photoshop sort them out.

mlou5ca
29 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 09, 2008 14:05 |  #10

Hi:

There are several ways to remove the background. You can use Photoshop CS3 via Filter/Extract. You can also use Vertus's Fluid Mask, as well as OnOne Mask Pro. Either of these can completely remove the background and you will be left with just your sister and whatever color background you want.

Have fun.

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2008 14:14 |  #11

suzyb wrote in post #5294088 (external link)
I was bored, so I went overboard just for the fun of it.

Wow, you went all out. What all did you do? I'm new to portraiture and feel like I'm having to slowly re-learn how to pp photos. It's not at all like pp landscapes or nature shots.

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2008 14:14 |  #12

Roach711 wrote in post #5294094 (external link)
Use the patch tool to get rid of the guys upper bodies (select the patch tool, click/hold and draw around the two guys' bodies then drag the selection to the sand area to the right of your friend). You may need to use the clone stamp to clean up the bottom of the selection near the cross bar.

Use the clone stamp to get rid of their legs. When cloning it's usually best to make several small repairs instead of one or two big repairs.

Removing the guys will probably also take out part of her leftmost hair strands between the green cross bars. I would clone out the outer strands to avoid a "hacked" look.

Thanks for the detailed description. I'll give it a try and see what I come up with! :D

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2008 14:15 |  #13

yanz wrote in post #5293130 (external link)
Here is my try at it. It's a little bit soft on the right side but it might work.

Here is the link to the full size image http://images22.fotki.​com …129/3411285/IMG​_0331a.jpg (external link)
Let me know what you think.

Good luck,
Yan

Looks darn good to me, that's what I think. Thank you very much for your help!

intrinsicvalue
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2008 14:17 |  #14

sniperkittie wrote in post #5293358 (external link)
My version.

I have no account to upload the larger file. Mediafile will not let me open a free account.
Any suggestions?

Edit Mediafile finally let me open an account. Here is the link to my version of your image.

http://www.mediafire.c​om …ckkey=gzcdir0yh​r1&thumb=4 (external link)

Wow. That looks wonderful. What tools did you use? I'm guessing it took more work than just cloning.

And thank you very much for your help!

sniperkittie
42 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 09, 2008 18:14 |  #15

intrinsicvalue wrote in post #5294216 (external link)
Wow. That looks wonderful. What tools did you use? I'm guessing it took more work than just cloning.

And thank you very much for your help!

The removal was done using a clone tool. Brush settings were slightly transparent and had a feather edge. Cloned from the right side and a few other areas depending on what I need. This removed the hair strands also. Those were hand painted back in on a new layer with a brush set to 1 or 2 pixels and mostly transparent and feathered a lot. Colors were selected from the existing hair. The layer was then blended using overlay and opacity adjusted to match the existing hair. You could also clone the hair strands in using the clone tool and very small brush on a new layer.

Jack
Amateur Corel Photo-Paint user.

sponsored links

1,649 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Help Removing People in Background!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.