Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Apr 2008 (Thursday) 10:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

17-55 IS & dust problems?!?

BluP
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2008 10:22 |  #1

good day

I'm planing ot buy EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens but I read on some forums and news groups that this lens have huge problems with dust and IS electronic is very perishable so do you (meaning 17-55mm owners) have the same problems like that guys that wrote that conclusions? thay say also that 17-55 is like dust pump so they must clean sensor very often. what do you think on all of that??

greetings

by
BluP

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 10, 2008 10:37 |  #2

The dust issues are about getting dust inside of the lens, not on the sensor. There was a poll here not too long ago. I think about 78% of people reported that it was a non-issue. I know it isn't for me.

GEAR LIST

MischiefK9s
378 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 10, 2008 10:41 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #3

I have had no problems with dust. It is my second favorite lens (behind the 70-200). Takes beautiful pictures.

Gayle
Gear

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 10, 2008 11:13 |  #4

I've had this lens for just under a year. Personally I have had no issues with dust and I just love the performance of this lens. I have seen many discussions on the dust and many state the dust comes through the front element and that a UV filter for protection protects it. I personally put a UV filter on every lens and have one on the 17-55 as well. Maybe I have no dust as a result of this but I cannot say it for sure. Now personally, if do add a UV filter make sure to get a good one. GO with a B+W or Hoya and make sure it is multi-coated. This way your image quality will be maintained.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

Bollan
635 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 10, 2008 11:23 |  #5

Same here i bought it the same week they released the lens and no issues at all. It's always on one of my cameras in a very dusty environment. I guess that i have shot 5000+ images with it so far. I also know 5 photographers with the same lens and no issue with it either.

Honestly i think the "dust issue" with this lens have been highly exaggerated on the forums.

The lens is one of the best zooms ever produced, razor sharp with great contrast and colour rendition. You will fall in love with this lens. There is no better "walk around" lens for a cropper.

My Gear
My Equestrian Gallery (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

rkkwan
134 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 10, 2008 11:41 as a reply to  @ Bollan's post |  #6

Some copies of this lens definitely get a lot of dust. Mine is like that. Canon cleaned it for me for free just before warranty ran out, and now I use a filter and no dust so far.

So, if one's considering this lens, ask yourself whether putting a filter on it is a problem or hardship for you. And how unhappy will you be if you insist to not use a filter and do see dust inside - even if it doesn't affect image quality.

If you just cannot use a filter and you'll be very upset to see dust inside, then you may want to stay away from this lens, as yours may attract dust like mine (and a not-insignificant number of others').

rkkwan.zenfolio.com (external link)
5D/BG-E4; 70-200/2.8L IS II, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 28-75 Asph, Tokina 10-17 Fish, 1.4x III; 580EX II; G7 X
Full Gear List

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 10, 2008 11:43 |  #7

My most used lens, no filter, no dust. Go figure...

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

BluP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2008 15:24 |  #8

tnx on answers folks ;-)a

i'll buy it and i hope i'll enjoy in that lens like you do!!!

tnx once again

by
BluP

gvg45
534 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 10, 2008 16:52 as a reply to  @ BluP's post |  #9

My first one, put a UV filter on it right away, dust still developed. I returned it due to focusing issues. Got the second one, UV filter right away and no dust. Go figure.

Regardless of possible dust issues, this is a great lens.

~Greg

MinhThien
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 10, 2008 17:00 |  #10

The other day I went to tested the brand new 17-55mm f2.8 IS at a local camera shop and what do you know... there is a whole bunch of dirt already in there! So i asked the manager and he said "Thats Japanese Dust!"
I was gonna buy the 17-55 lens but now i might wait until they release the 17-55L f2.8 IS or just settle for the 24-70 f2.8! any suggestion?

Eric
R6 | rf50L | rf85L DS | ef200L IS | 470ex | 190CXPRO4 | 498RC2 | TT Streetwalker Roller| TT Restro 7 | F-stop Kenti |

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 10, 2008 17:06 |  #11

rkkwan wrote in post #5300608 (external link)
Some copies of this lens definitely get a lot of dust. Mine is like that. Canon cleaned it for me for free just before warranty ran out, and now I use a filter and no dust so far.

So, if one's considering this lens, ask yourself whether putting a filter on it is a problem or hardship for you. And how unhappy will you be if you insist to not use a filter and do see dust inside - even if it doesn't affect image quality.

If you just cannot use a filter and you'll be very upset to see dust inside, then you may want to stay away from this lens, as yours may attract dust like mine (and a not-insignificant number of others').

Why would anyone pay $1000 for a lens that may have to be sent in after a short time for cleaning? Then have to pay for a UV filter to prevent future dust or have to pay Canon to clean it after the first year? Why should the consumer pay top dollar and then have to pay to fix the issue? I have no idea why a very reputable company like Canon hasn't recalled this lens, and fixed the problem like they have done on the flare issue with the 24-105L.

I would love to have this lens but there are just enough reasons to keep my Tamron 17-50 2.8 for a 1/3 of the price. If Canon ever fixes this lens I'll be the first to buy one!

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

Kruzkal
393 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 10, 2008 17:37 |  #12

I have had mine for over a year. And I have been taking photos on a regular basis in dusty and smoky places with no problems at all. I do have a B+W UV filter on the lens though.

Anyway, dust is easy to remove if you know how to:

http://alan328.com/17_​55_Dust.aspx (external link)

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 11, 2008 08:01 |  #13

I've had my lens for 1.5 years and dust is not an issue with it.

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

LightRules
Return of the Jedi
9,911 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 14, 2008 01:02 |  #14

I've just finished my own Dust Removal Procedure on a 1755 IS. You can read/see it here, shown step-by-step http://www.pbase.com/l​ightrules/drp (external link)

mantra_sone
45 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 14, 2008 01:04 |  #15

I have the lens and after warranty was up, I cleaned it myself (very easy). Now the problem is non-existent for me.

sponsored links

1,908 views & 0 likes for this thread
17-55 IS & dust problems?!?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.