Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 27 Feb 2006 (Monday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Show us your Macro Rig

newb2pro_1day_or_so
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 30, 2008 01:29 as a reply to  @ post 1272433 |  #241

I'm getting ready to buy the 430EX canon flash and the Imported version is currently out of stock. I know this may sound stupid, but should I wait for the imported version to get in stock, or just buy the USA one? I honestly don't know if there are rumors on quality or not, just thought I'd double check with the pros. Thanks

Dan, www.dandexterphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Canon 50D, 50 1.8 II, 100mm macro, Tubes, 430ex, 70-200 2.8 IS, 17-55 2.8 IS, MPE-65 & MT-24ex flash.

sponsored links
dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 30, 2008 09:22 |  #242

Dan, I think your understanding of what Import vs. USA are confused. There is absolutely no difference between the USA and Import version (they are all made in the same Japanese factory). But for the few dollars you save you give up a the Canon USA warranty. Buying gray used to save you some money, but with the prices I've seen lately on B&H and Adorama there is no reason to buy Gray. In fact the prices on B&H right now are the same.

I assume you live in the US. If yes, then you should certainly buy USA.

When you go to B&H and pull up the 430EX, click on the link for the word IMPORTED. It explains the difference. This is a partial quote from B&H:

What are the differences as far as a customer is concerned?

In most cases the difference between a USA import and a Grey Market, or imported product, is the cost of the item and the terms of the item’s warranty coverage. The products themselves are otherwise identical in every way. Occasionally the manufacturer might change a product name of model number to differentiate between products targeted for US distribution and products targeted for distribution elsewhere.

When they say product name, they mean Rebel XTi vs. Rebel 450D. Same camera, just different label.

P.S. The Adorama prices are the same as well. Stick with USA.

Darrell
My SmugMug Nature/Landscape Gallery (external link)
Gear List

macgruder
164 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 01, 2008 16:16 |  #243

My lord! I never knew how much equipment was needed to shoot in macros, shows how little I know about the subject. Pretty cool stuff.

Canon 50D. Canon 28-135mm IS / Canon 50mm f/1.4 / Canon 70-300mm IS f/4-5.6 / Sigma 10-20mm / Canon Speedlite 480EX II
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stevenbley/ (external link)

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 01, 2008 22:14 |  #244

ben_r_ wrote in post #4471262 (external link)
Well here's a crappy pic with an old sony p&s of the macro rig. Heres the specs:
  • StoFen Omni-Bounce Flash Diffuser Set

ben_r: talk about the Stofen diffusers you have on the MT-24 flash units. Which are they, are they somehow modified and how are they attached?

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,887 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 04, 2008 15:28 |  #245

b.d.bop wrote in post #5242069 (external link)
ben_r: talk about the Stofen diffusers you have on the MT-24 flash units. Which are they, are they somehow modified and how are they attached?

Stofen makes a kit specifically for the canon macro twin light flash. They simply slide on just like any other stofen for a flash. Heres a LINK (external link).

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/442435.jpg

I have since ordered and will be making the switch over to the GaryFong Puffers though. They seem to diffuse the light better but require a more custom install as they are no made specifically for the mt-24ex. They also cost twice the price. LINK (external link) (you need to order two).

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/522116.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2291/2325759199_0d8ec75b95.jpg

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 04, 2008 18:02 |  #246

ben_r_ wrote in post #5260603 (external link)
Stofen makes a kit specifically for the canon macro twin light flash. They simply slide on just like any other stofen for a flash. Heres a LINK (external link).

I have since ordered and will be making the switch over to the GaryFong Puffers though. They seem to diffuse the light better but require a more custom install as they are no made specifically for the mt-24ex. They also cost twice the price. LINK (external link) (you need to order two).

QUOTED IMAGE

Right, Ben.
dalantech hot glues them on, I did this modification (see bottom of page) instead:

https://photography-on-the.net …hread.php?t=473​589&page=2

Either way, really nice diffusers.

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

newb2pro_1day_or_so
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 05, 2008 16:39 as a reply to  @ post 1272433 |  #247

Alright, I could use some help from the pros. I just purchased the biggest pos flash bracket that's out there...the salesman said it was great. Anyways, I would like to know what types of flash brackets are a safe bet that I'll get something that will do a great job and last! I guess it would help to know that I have the 430ex canon flash and am using the 100mm macro w/full set of extension tubes.

Dan, www.dandexterphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Canon 50D, 50 1.8 II, 100mm macro, Tubes, 430ex, 70-200 2.8 IS, 17-55 2.8 IS, MPE-65 & MT-24ex flash.

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 06, 2008 11:31 as a reply to  @ newb2pro_1day_or_so's post |  #248

This is my rig, 30D/40D with the MACROPOD, which I constructed to work as help and assist when shooting macro :cool:

IMAGE: http://www.anderssonbros.com/photo/Macropod_kitchen1.JPG

for more info on the Macropod see
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=481577

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

rndman
928 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 07, 2008 18:58 |  #249

Can you adjust light output of those?

MiCTLaN wrote in post #5086146 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mictlan74/22950​20862/  (external link)

I've had a bit of success with this 'ghetto rig' :D

EOS 40D with two Quantaray MS-1 slave flashes bungeed to the 28-135 kit lens, mounted on a full set of Kenko extension tubes... I used a small adjustable LED light to assist with focusing.

Flickr (external link)

pekpek
25 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 11, 2008 08:27 as a reply to  @ newb2pro_1day_or_so's post |  #250

here's mine.
30D with kenko tubes canon 100mm 430ex and velbon ballhead spectralight diffuser. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Sample image of this setup
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

www.flickr.com/photos/​ayong (external link)
Canon 30D
Canon 100mm f2.8 macro
Kenko Tubes
Canon 430EX (santa i want the MPE-65) PEACE:D

Ballen ­ Photo
19,794 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Apr 11, 2008 09:32 |  #251

pekpek wrote in post #5306538 (external link)
Sample image of this setup.

Very nice! ;)
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

shadowkipper
491 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 11, 2008 15:23 |  #252

pekpek how much did that macro lighting setup cost you?

Im getting the 100mm macro lesn and im interested in buying a good lighting set up in a month after

Site (external link) | Twitter (external link) | deviantART (external link) | 400D | Grip | 17-40 L | 70-200 L | 85 | 430EX

pekpek
25 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 11, 2008 22:24 |  #253

shadowkipper wrote in post #5309139 (external link)
pekpek how much did that macro lighting setup cost you?

Im getting the 100mm macro lesn and im interested in buying a good lighting set up in a month after

@shadowkipper
around $350 including the off shoe cord.
if you are going to buy a flash gun buy the 580II instead.:)

@ballenphoto
Thanks for the nice comment.

www.flickr.com/photos/​ayong (external link)
Canon 30D
Canon 100mm f2.8 macro
Kenko Tubes
Canon 430EX (santa i want the MPE-65) PEACE:D

adam ­ 91
244 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2008 09:27 |  #254

im ordering a sigma 105 (probably, still undecided on that or the 150) and a canon 430 speed light, and was wondering if most of the brackets on here are homemade or bought? how does the off shoe cord connect to the bracket? just a screw thread?
thanks, adam :)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/adampalmer91/ (external link)
70D, 400D, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm VC USD, Sigma 150-600mm C, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 430EX II

dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 30, 2008 09:01 |  #255

If anyone is interested, I have a Kirk FB-9 flash macro bracket for sale: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=494057

Darrell
My SmugMug Nature/Landscape Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

1,007,274 views & 29 likes for this thread
Show us your Macro Rig
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.