Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Apr 2008 (Friday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

medium format camera

jd40
333 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 11, 2008 08:31 |  #1

why do they cost so much????
such as this:
http://www.adorama.com​/HS503CWK.html (external link)

how is it different than a regular DSLR?
I suppose all them crop factor, but what else?
what kind of flexibility does it provide?

I thought all there is to the camera is shutter speed and aperature.

camera don't shoot people, lens don't shoot people, people shoot people

sponsored links
Pete-eos
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 11, 2008 08:34 |  #2

jd40 wrote in post #5306558 (external link)

Sensor size plays a massive part, as the surface area increases so does the cost, drastically. I'm sure someone will chime in with the figures... you'll then have other costs like the much bigger view finder and many use higher grade glass.

Edit: checked the link, thats an SLR, check the price of a medium format digital!

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2008 08:35 |  #3

It’s all in the CCD/CMOS sensor size. Big chips are very expensive to manufacture. The bigger, the more costly.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,468 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 11, 2008 08:37 |  #4

1. Everything is bigger, so it is inherently more costly to produce (like buying meat by the pound)
2. Fewer people buy them, so economies of scale are not present
3. Geometrically increased cost to fabricate huge sensors

Industry has taken a long time to produce 24x36mm sensors by other manufacturers besides Canon. So imagine the complexity when the sensor is almost 40x55mm

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Richard_Miami
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2008 08:42 |  #5

That was the film version. Here is one of the digital versions of the Hassy:
http://www.adorama.com​/HSH3D392.html (external link)

You are looking at extremely high quality tools. The Hasselblad system gives you interchangeable EVERYTHING such as backs, viewfinders and more, not just interchangeable lenses. In addition - the LARGE sensor. To quote:

"the largest image sensors currently available 48x36 mm - more than 2x the size of even the largest 35mm camera sensors. These sensors hold more & larger pixels, ensuring ultra sharp images without gradation break-ups in even the finest lit surfaces"

These cameras tend to be used by high end studio photographers and others demanding only the best quality images (think fashion photogs..etc.).

I wish I could afford one - I will keep buying those lottery tickets! :D

I am the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

Gear

RSPhotoGallery.com (external link)

jd40
THREAD ­ STARTER
333 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 11, 2008 08:42 |  #6

but what is the advantage of having big sensor? Is it less noise?

btw, thnx admin for moving the thread

Richard_Miami
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2008 08:45 |  #7

"These sensors hold more & larger pixels, ensuring ultra sharp images without gradation break-ups in even the finest lit surfaces"

I am the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

Gear

RSPhotoGallery.com (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2008 08:45 |  #8

jd40 wrote in post #5306629 (external link)

It’s the exact same principals as to what makes a 5D a better camera than a crop or a 40D a better camera than a P/S. More resolution with larger individual sites lead to sharper, more detailed pics.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

jd40
THREAD ­ STARTER
333 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 11, 2008 08:46 |  #9

oh ok
In the movie "Cherry Crush" character Jordan Wells uses one of them to take photo of the models

Richard_Miami wrote in post #5306628 (external link)

You are looking at extremely high quality tools. The Hasselblad system gives you interchangeable EVERYTHING such as backs, viewfinders and more, not just interchangeable lenses. In addition - the LARGE sensor. To quote:

"the largest image sensors currently available 48x36 mm - more than 2x the size of even the largest 35mm camera sensors. These sensors hold more & larger pixels, ensuring ultra sharp images without gradation break-ups in even the finest lit surfaces"

These cameras tend to be used by high end studio photographers and others demanding only the best quality images (think fashion photogs..etc.).

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 11, 2008 16:47 |  #10

Not all medium format cameras are expensive; what you're looking at here is near the top end of the spectrum. For example, I paid $200 for my Pentax 67. For something with interchangeable backs, you can get a Mamiya RB/RZ for dirt cheap prices these days. They're still very high-quality instruments.

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 11, 2008 17:03 |  #11

jd40 wrote in post #5306629 (external link)

Not always. The real advantage of a larger sensor is the same as the advantage of a larger piece of film. There is significantly less enlargement needed from captured image to print. This means the fine detail is better retained as it is enlarged less.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Mcary
978 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 11, 2008 17:53 |  #12

My Dream" Money is no object system" would be the Leaf AFI +65S back cost about 30K
28MP 44x33 3x4 ratio sensor
Rotating back (turn the back instead of the body for portraits)
Leaf shutter= Sync speed of 1/1000 of second even with studio strobes

Mike

OMG I saw a nipple, my eye's are bleeding!
Visit http://www.mcaryphoto.​net (external link) (Nudity) warning most images found on this website were shot with cheap plastic lens (50mm 1.4 85 1.8 and 35 2.0)

Analog6
565 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 11, 2008 18:00 |  #13

Richard_Miami wrote in post #5306628 (external link)

And many of the old Hasselblads will take a digital back (the backs, of course, cost from $AUD 15,000 upwards) but it's cheaper then a whole system.

Me too! I think the lotteries are rigged!

I had a Hasselblad film version for a while many eyars ago (it was stolen) and the quality is amazingly high. If you g=have the moeny, they are well worth it.

Of course, with digital images that big you need much more computer storage and processing capacity and so it goes on . . . .and on!

I still have a Seagull TLR film camera which I got for just $50 over the net, and the quality of the lens and the results are excellent.

Odille
---------------
My Facebook (external link) / Photo Blog (external link) / RedBubble shop (external link) / My Calendars (external link)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 11, 2008 19:02 as a reply to  @ Analog6's post |  #14

jd40 wrote in post #5306558 (external link)
why do they cost so much????
such as this:
http://www.adorama.com​/HS503CWK.html (external link)

how is it different than a regular DSLR?
I suppose all them crop factor, but what else?
what kind of flexibility does it provide?

Hey guys, the camera in the link is a FILM Hasselblad... As was mentioned above, Hassy's are quality tools. They are the Ferrari's of the medium format world. If you're looking for something a little less pricey, then I'd suggest Pentax, Mamiya or Bronica. Again, these are all film cameras.

John

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,468 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 11, 2008 19:56 |  #15

JWright wrote in post #5310416 (external link)
Hey guys, the camera in the link is a FILM Hasselblad... As was mentioned above, Hassy's are quality tools. They are the Ferrari's of the medium format world. If you're looking for something a little less pricey, then I'd suggest Pentax, Mamiya or Bronica. Again, these are all film cameras.

Correctamundo! People really should be asking why the Ferrari of medium format film costs 25% less than a 1Ds body! :mad:
or they should marvel at the cost of a digital Hassy!:cry:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
medium format camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.