Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Apr 2008 (Friday) 18:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D with the 300 2.8 lens ??

Paul ­ S
585 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 11, 2008 18:58 |  #1

Until I got the 300mm lens my 70-200 2.8 was the champ. I also used the 1.4 tc with it and it worked ok but the images were a liitle on the soft side.

So I just shot the last 3 LAX games - about 300 pics/game and this it what I'm getting

about 50% of the photos are razor sharp

about 35% seem to be in focus but soft as I would be using my 70-200 zoom w/ 1.4 TC

about 15% OOF or wrong focal point.

Would this be user error?? This starting to bug me :(

Profile / Maxpreps (external link)  (external link)

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 11, 2008 19:05 |  #2

JMO, but if you are achieving razor sharpness on 50% of your efforts, then the other 50% is probably due to the usual things:
- Low Shutter Speed
- IS Not Locked Up
- Misfocus

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Paul ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
585 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 11, 2008 19:15 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #5310427 (external link)
JMO, but if you are achieving razor sharpness on 50% of your efforts, then the other 50% is probably due to the usual things:
- Low Shutter Speed
- IS Not Locked Up
- Misfocus

The last game the SS was 3 to 5K IS seems to be on but how could I tell? things happen really fast.
Misfocus - me or the camera ?

Thanks

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,979 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 12, 2008 05:34 |  #4

Just takes a little getting used to the extra weight and inertia, thats all. You'll end up with too many keepers in 6 months, and will actually delete shots that were previously "your best ever shots, man!!!"
Oh, and pics or it didn't happen...

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,039 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 12, 2008 06:51 |  #5

I dont think its user erro %50 REALLY SHARP is quite good going on a moving target .
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

MattS
Hatchling
6 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 12, 2008 07:45 as a reply to  @ Paul S's post |  #6

Paul,

IS is useless with shutter speeds that fast. In fact, you are SLOWING down the autofocus by using it. This may be what you are experiencing. Try turing it off. I've shot soccer for a number of years and rarely found a circumstance that IS added to my percentage of keepers.

Best Regards,
Matt

Best job I ever had? Being retired!

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,435 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 12, 2008 08:29 |  #7

I agree with MattS. It takes a second for the IS to spool up and at fast shutter speeds it does you no good whatsoever. I discovered this a few years ago on my 100-400. The AF was a little sluggish with IS on but almost instantaneous with it off. I always shut it off on my 300 f 2.8 when my shutter speeds are fast.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

Paul ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
585 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 12, 2008 09:43 as a reply to  @ Larry Weinman's post |  #8

Thanks for Replys I will try shooting the next game with it tuned off. I still can't get over the IQ I'm getting with this lens - Maybe one of my best purchases yet. :D

sponsored links

978 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D with the 300 2.8 lens ??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.