Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Business Card C+C!

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 16, 2008 18:44 as a reply to  @ post 5343368 |  #16

I'd like to see the telephone number be a bit more noticeable. You kind of have to search for it the way it is now. Other than that I think it looks fine.

sponsored links
figmented
640 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 16, 2008 18:59 |  #17

Ledrak wrote in post #5343661 (external link)
I'd like to see the telephone number be a bit more noticeable. You kind of have to search for it the way it is now. Other than that I think it looks fine.

There isnt much to go searching around on a tiny biz card for a phone number.. im sorry but 'having trouble finding his phone number on the card' is the least of his worries.

in fact, I designed the business card from LARGEST to SMALLEST in importance and what I want the viewer (ie: client) to notice first. I figured since he was a high school kid, he'd rather want his clients to go to his website first, rather then call him while he is at school. With his name and website more pronounced, I think it works better this way.

A lot more go into graphic design then just text on a background. I'm in no way a pro, but I know what to look for.

Canon 5D - Canon 20D - 580ex - Gary Fong Dong - Stofen
70-200 2.8L IS - 24-70 2.8L - 50 1.8 - 17-55 2.8 IS - 85 1.8
Lightroom & Photoshop Pro
www.slantphoto.com (external link)

Tumeg
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 16, 2008 19:22 as a reply to  @ figmented's post |  #18

figmented wrote in post #5343368 (external link)
Woot..

You guys also have to keep in mind that Tumeg is 15 years old. He is going to be handing these out to high school kids & friends for the most part. I'm hoping he doesnt stick with this design too long because im sure he'll be a lot 'bigger' with photogrpahy when he is 18-21-25..

basically what im saying, is none of his friends are gonna have sweet cards that come close to this.

I've seen more biz cards then probably anyone, and i have a nice biz card collection of my own (tons of photographers, i collect biz cards, im a nerd) and I think this suits his age and demographics.

I made it REALLY simple, yet still stylish.. I really like it imo, but its up to Tumeg.

btw, he is a very awesome photographer for being 15. :)

just my 2 cents :)

Yeah, thanks for pointing all this out, I was about to but didn't :D
I do really like the card, and I probably wont be using it for TOO long, I am the kind of guy that likes to change stuff constantly (like my site, I have given it about 1 major facelift every 2 months). I love your thoughts behind the design, such as having them go to my site first instead of calling me while in school. I will be handing this out only to friends, and I will handing a few out to people that of course ask, and if I do shoots I will give people bis cards including people that start asking me questions while on shoots\shooting on my own :lol: hopefully these cards will help me get my first paid shoot!

Thanks a TON Figmented!!

| Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 17-40MM F/4L | Canon 50MM F/1.4 | Canon 85MM F/1.8 | Canon 580EX II |

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 16, 2008 19:26 |  #19

figmented wrote in post #5343734 (external link)
There isnt much to go searching around on a tiny biz card for a phone number.. im sorry but 'having trouble finding his phone number on the card' is the least of his worries.

in fact, I designed the business card from LARGEST to SMALLEST in importance and what I want the viewer (ie: client) to notice first. I figured since he was a high school kid, he'd rather want his clients to go to his website first, rather then call him while he is at school. With his name and website more pronounced, I think it works better this way.

A lot more go into graphic design then just text on a background. I'm in no way a pro, but I know what to look for.

But the phone number is not obvious. I'd want people to visit the website 1st as well, but I think the phone number should still be easily visible and distinguishable. If it was placed on the back of the card under the website addy (in addition to where it is now), I think that would be sufficient.

As far as the design goes... it's a business card. We've all seen seen tons of them, and the bottom line is after you look at it once no one cares anymore. As long as you can find and easily distinguish your name, phone number, and web address on the card then you'll be fine. You can make it look like a Picasso piece, or a plain white stock with black lettering. As long as it looks professionally done and not something a kid drew up most people could care less, and it won't affect your business.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 16, 2008 21:54 |  #20

Ledrak wrote in post #5343918 (external link)
But the phone number is not obvious. I'd want people to visit the website 1st as well, but I think the phone number should still be easily visible and distinguishable. If it was placed on the back of the card under the website addy (in addition to where it is now), I think that would be sufficient.

As far as the design goes... it's a business card. We've all seen seen tons of them, and the bottom line is after you look at it once no one cares anymore. As long as you can find and easily distinguish your name, phone number, and web address on the card then you'll be fine. You can make it look like a Picasso piece, or a plain white stock with black lettering. As long as it looks professionally done and not something a kid drew up most people could care less, and it won't affect your business.

I disagree. If your business is empirical in nature, like a technician, repairman, lawyer, or back office employee, a simple business card is expected and accepted.

However, if you make your living as an artist, then creativity is expected in all that you do. This is not his business card, its his CALLING card. In fact, its probably 50% of his program. This card has to make a statement and an impact.

Initially, the card did not appeal to me, for many of the reasons that you stated. But once I heard figmented thoughts, I became a believer. Kudos to figmented for digging deep for his customer, and also for delivering on the promise. (I have had 3 folks promise me help with a Biz Card, only to be abandoned. -- sigh.)

This space for rent.

johnny0415
236 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2008 04:21 |  #21

Tumeg wrote in post #5341493 (external link)
Like I said, I love the design and colors, but would like some more opinions on it!

Here are my two cents, coming from a graphic design major student. First, do not fall in love with anything. Once you do, your views of something will be distorted as your opinions will be favoured towards it. Good that you welcome opinion and I'll try not to be harsh.

Starting with the back (this is easiest as its simple). Drop the drop shadows (inconsistent theme with front). Would be better if the URL was color coded to be consistent with the front as well (creates a coherent style as opposed to random choices).

As for the front, I personally like the "PHOTOS BY BRADLEY" in huge letters sitting in the background. However, where the name is... the choice of whitespace appears to be random (I know this is to align "Bradley" to the left and "Capote" to the right, but choice of spacing is not that great, try playing around with font sizes, kerning, etc to align everything in a formal grid); reading is really hard with rivers (not properly aligned lines), especially with a phone number hanging in there too.

Overall, the design is very clear with well chosen hierarchy - props to the designer. Yes, it will easily become dated, but this is what is trendy right now so that is not a problem unless you think it is one. One thing that would help bring out even more contrast is introducing one more color, say orange (complementary to the blue), to really bring out the hidden elements that you want to show.

But as all great designers do - we usually create more problems than solve :D

7D | 350D | Speedlite 430EX
EF 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 |
Peleng 8mm Fisheye | EF 70-210mm f/4
Manfrotto 190PROB | Manfrotto 141RC

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2008 09:25 |  #22

mattograph wrote in post #5344931 (external link)
However, if you make your living as an artist, then creativity is expected in all that you do. This is not his business card, its his CALLING card. In fact, its probably 50% of his program. This card has to make a statement and an impact.

I disagree with that. Sure it doesn't hurt to have a creatively artistic business card, but it's not be all or end all of you. It's mostly the artists themselves that place so much importance on their business card... not the clients. It's your portfolio that you're gonna be judged on, not the artistic creativeness of your business card.

When I hire an artist, I could give a damn what his/her business card design is like, so long as it looks professional. What I want to see is a portfolio of great work. You can have the best business card, with all the best photography equipment money can buy... but if your portfolio is crap you're not getting hired... period.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 17, 2008 09:43 |  #23

Ledrak wrote in post #5347771 (external link)
I disagree with that. Sure it doesn't hurt to have a creatively artistic business card, but it's not be all or end all of you. It's mostly the artists themselves that place so much importance on their business card... not the clients. It's your portfolio that you're gonna be judged on, not the artistic creativeness of your business card.

When I hire an artist, I could give a damn what his/her business card design is like, so long as it looks professional. What I want to see is a portfolio of great work. You can have the best business card, with all the best photography equipment money can buy... but if your portfolio is crap you're not getting hired... period.

Are you hiring as a profession? If so, let me ask you a question -- Do you look at every portfolio you receive?

This space for rent.

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2008 11:39 |  #24

mattograph wrote in post #5347879 (external link)
Are you hiring as a profession? If so, let me ask you a question -- Do you look at every portfolio you receive?

Well, I’m not like some super company who has tons of people aspiring to work/shoot for me. So I’m not screening slews of candidates. I have a crew that I like to work with and prefer to stay with those same guys if I can.

But in the case that I have to hire new people, before I hire a photographer, the 1st thing I want to do is see some of their work. One time I was forced to hire a photographer (without seeing any of his work) and that turned out to be a costly mistake.

If someone comes in and wants to work with me; has an amazing business card but can't show me anything they've done... it doesn't really mean much of anything to me.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 17, 2008 12:04 |  #25

Ledrak wrote in post #5348603 (external link)
Well, I’m not like some super company who has tons of people aspiring to work/shoot for me. So I’m not screening slews of candidates. I have a crew that I like to work with and prefer to stay with those same guys if I can.

But in the case that I have to hire new people, before I hire a photographer, the 1st thing I want to do is see some of their work. One time I was forced to hire a photographer (without seeing any of his work) and that turned out to be a costly mistake.

If someone comes in and wants to work with me; has an amazing business card but can't show me anything they've done... it doesn't really mean much of anything to me.

Can't argue that. One of the things missing from my analysis is what he hopes to accomplish with the business card in the first place. If he is just looking to drum up business from his inner circle, thats one thing, and if hes looking to turn pro at 15, thats another. Portfolio is the most important part of the marketing program -- its the "show me" moment. So we don't disagree there.

Selling to a professional buyer is a b2b transaction, which is a wholly different proposition than selling direct to a consumer. If he is after "consumer" business, the extra attention is meaningful. If he wants to shoot commercial, the business card is just a small part of a myriad of things that need to be tight, coherent, and congruent.

Either way, I do admire his spunk!

This space for rent.

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2008 15:20 |  #26

mattograph wrote in post #5348753 (external link)
Can't argue that. One of the things missing from my analysis is what he hopes to accomplish with the business card in the first place. If he is just looking to drum up business from his inner circle, thats one thing, and if hes looking to turn pro at 15, thats another. Portfolio is the most important part of the marketing program -- its the "show me" moment. So we don't disagree there.

Selling to a professional buyer is a b2b transaction, which is a wholly different proposition than selling direct to a consumer. If he is after "consumer" business, the extra attention is meaningful. If he wants to shoot commercial, the business card is just a small part of a myriad of things that need to be tight, coherent, and congruent.

Either way, I do admire his spunk!

I think I see what you’re getting at. I can see how an artistically creative business card may be good to pass out to random people you meet, who don’t know you and aren’t shopping for a photographer, as a means of advertisement and to try and impress them… and maybe when/if they ever do need a photographer they’ll say, “hey, I remember that guy I met at the bar with the cool business card… I’ll give him a call”. But then of course, if they’re at all serious… the 1st thing they’re going to ask is “let me see some of your work” :).

But I know with me, if I’m at that bar and I take your card then I’m already going to be interested in you… so if your card is a little less than stellar, I most likely wouldn’t give a 2nd thought to it (so long as it looked professional). In that situation, your presentation carries you much farther than your business card can with me. Because guess what… if you couldn't peak my interest during my chat with you… even if your business card looked like a work of art, it’d be going right in the trash.

figmented
640 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 17, 2008 18:34 |  #27

All good points guys..

I like johnny0415's suggestions, as based on his analysis, is a better designer than I. (while things he pointed out, I knew about, but being a free card, i didnt try to spend too much time on it, as it was just for play that turned out to be liked)

If I see someone with a crappy business card, it usually matches the rest of their work. But it is also very easy to have a really sweet card, and have shotty work.

BTW, my personal business cards are pretty sweet, and square, and have alternate rounded corners.. EVERY time i give this card to ANYONE they are like WOW THESE ARE COOL.. Being different really helps B2C commerce, not so much for B2B as was mentioned earlier.

Canon 5D - Canon 20D - 580ex - Gary Fong Dong - Stofen
70-200 2.8L IS - 24-70 2.8L - 50 1.8 - 17-55 2.8 IS - 85 1.8
Lightroom & Photoshop Pro
www.slantphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Business Card C+C!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.