Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 12 Nov 2006 (Sunday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,113 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 26, 2008 10:47 as a reply to  @ post 2252735 |  #181

Primes are great when...

Prime lenses are great. Normally, they are usually lighter in weight, often-sharper and normally have wider apertures than many zoom lenses. The only downside is that they do not zoom.

In the many-many years in which no self-respecting photographer would touch a still-camera zoom lens, many professional photographers using 35mm and just about all photojournalists used multiple bodies in order to increase the versatility of their prime lenses.

Even though, I have several zoom lenses, I am a great proponent of the multiple camera body system. I believe that using more than one camera is tantamount to being essential when using primes and is still very handy when using zooms.

Switching lenses is simple and efficient when you are carrying two or more bodies. While you do not quite have the versatility of a zoom lens; using two or more bodies does free you from being locked into one focal length without the bother of switching lenses.

When using Leica M-2 film cameras, my favorite combination for general shooting was the 35mm on one body and 90mm on another. That combo was great for up close people shooting such as at a wedding reception (I never used 35mm equipment for the ceremony or portrait shots but, did use 35mm for wedding candids).

If a person was to use a 200mm on one body and a 100mm on the other, he or she would be pretty well set up for many shots requiring tele capability.

I have a 30D and a 350D. Between them, they are probably worth somewhere around the price of a 40D. However, I would much rather shoot with these two bodies than to be restricted to only one body and one lens at a time. IMO, these two bodies, set up with two great lenses, are more capable than a single 40D would be; even with the availability of those two lenses. Sure, I'd like a pair of 40D cameras, or even a pair of 30D's, but my two cameras do a great job!

My standard set-up these days is the two bodies with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses attached. I carry one body on a strap around my neck and the other body with a hand strap attached, ready to shoot in a holster case at my left side. With these two lenses, I have a great focal range with awesome image quality. I don't miss the gap between 55mm-70mm a bit!

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 26, 2008 11:06 |  #182

perryge wrote in post #5126796 (external link)
With 1.4x TC attached:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/perryge/2305529​652/  (external link)

Wow that is an awesome shot! Great job!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 04, 2008 13:47 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #183

A little tough to follow the incredibly fabulous images above! But here's one I took this afternoon indoors after receiving this fine lens. Not much done in PP except a boost in contrast, slight lightening of shadows and a tiny bit of sharpening. (forgot to add - slight color correction)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

D40
ISO: 800
shutter speed: 1/100
aperture: f/3.2
2/3 ev (just playing)
window light only

Cleo
50D
smugmug (external link)

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 06, 2008 09:57 |  #184

TheHoff wrote in post #5194650 (external link)
Nephew's baptism; ISO 800, 1/160 @ 2.8

QUOTED IMAGE

I love this. Was this hand-held?

Cleo
50D
smugmug (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 06, 2008 10:59 as a reply to  @ Mum2J&M's post |  #185

Thanks! It was. I'm a monopod kinda guy but for this I used the church pew as a brace.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 10, 2008 16:32 |  #186

used a a set of Kenko tubes to get closer to the subject, which measures approximately 1/4" across the top. It's s small cone of tamarack tree (a relative, I guess), found in the interior of Alaska.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

7D, 5DII

totalbeginner
613 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 15, 2008 15:07 as a reply to  @ Rafromak's post |  #187

One of my favourite lenses!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND

View my gear list HERE
Don't submit to stupid rules, be yourself and not a fool. Don't accept average habits, open your heart and PUSH THE LIMITS!

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 15, 2008 18:11 |  #188

totalbeginner wrote in post #5335003 (external link)
One of my favourite lenses!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gorgeous pics! Wish I could've afforded to keep mine, but had to sell it in order to get the shorter focal lengths for now. Your shots look great - and sharp!

Cleo
50D
smugmug (external link)

totalbeginner
613 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 16, 2008 09:55 as a reply to  @ Mum2J&M's post |  #189

If you've got a flash with a long enough reach it takes great portraits too! :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

View my gear list HERE
Don't submit to stupid rules, be yourself and not a fool. Don't accept average habits, open your heart and PUSH THE LIMITS!

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 16, 2008 16:59 |  #190

Stan43 wrote in post #2978165 (external link)
Just got from spring break. Loved the 200 2.8. Size , colors, IQ . You can shoot low key.
Enjoyed the scenery.

I will need some 100% crops of specified areas in order to evaluate properly. (the spring break image)

John_TX
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 16, 2008 17:48 |  #191

totalbeginner wrote in post #5340417 (external link)
If you've got a flash with a long enough reach it takes great portraits too! :)

Very nice, I like the compression it gave to that group shot.

Question: Were the lines/stripes on their legs caused by the flash or some sort of reflection of the sunlight (e.g. off a car windshield)?

5D4 | 5D3 | 16-35 f4 IS | 24-105 f4 IS | 70-200 f4 IS | 100-400 II | Sigma 20 f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART | EF 1.4x III | EF 2x II | 430EX II |

Bill ­ Pham
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 16, 2008 18:49 as a reply to  @ John_TX's post |  #192

one with the kenko 1.4 stack at f4. no flash natural light.

Bill

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i161.photobucke​t.com …lphotos_2008/IM​G_0102.jpg (external link)

winning is fun and second is for loser
I got Mitch hook on wide angle :lol::lol:
Gear list
http://billpham.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

totalbeginner
613 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 17, 2008 12:52 as a reply to  @ Bill Pham's post |  #193

Were the lines/stripes on their legs caused by the flash or some sort of reflection of the sunlight

Well spotted! They're actually sat infront of a swimming pool. The lines are the flash reflecting off of the water. (something I didn't consider) :rolleyes:

View my gear list HERE

John_TX
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 17, 2008 14:47 |  #194

totalbeginner wrote in post #5349015 (external link)
Well spotted! They're actually sat infront of a swimming pool. The lines are the flash reflecting off of the water. (something I didn't consider) :rolleyes:

At least you had the common sense to back up to the other side of the pool before taking the shot!

I can see it now "one sec, let me take a few more steps back so I can fit everyone into the frame...splash!" :mrgreen:

Definitely something I would have done!

5D4 | 5D3 | 16-35 f4 IS | 24-105 f4 IS | 70-200 f4 IS | 100-400 II | Sigma 20 f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART | EF 1.4x III | EF 2x II | 430EX II |

totalbeginner
613 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 18, 2008 13:48 as a reply to  @ John_TX's post |  #195

one sec, let me take a few more steps back so I can fit everyone into the frame...splash!"

Reading that made me cringe! My poor 5D!!! :eek:

View my gear list HERE

sponsored links

1,232,268 views & 405 likes for this thread
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.