Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Apr 2008 (Thursday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Legal question?

Michael1116
429 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 17, 2008 14:43 |  #1

Is it ok to take a picture of a picture and post it on a web host? Specifically, Baron Wolman (Rolling Stones magazine) took some awesome shots of Janis Joplin in the 60's. I was given a large book of his work. I didn't think it would work too well, but I have a couple of decent pictures of his pictures.

MySpace (external link)
My Flikr (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
bpiper7
that type of outlier
1,299 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 17, 2008 15:13 |  #2

If you don't have permission from the owner of the copyright you have no right to do that.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 17, 2008 19:24 as a reply to  @ bpiper7's post |  #3

Really think about this. Would you want someone that has one of your prints to take a picture of it and post it elsewhere.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

trailblazer
599 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 17, 2008 20:27 |  #4

While not 'morally/ethically correct' and maybe not ok, there is nothing illegal about it. You own your own pictures, even if it is a picture of another picture

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Apr 17, 2008 21:48 as a reply to  @ trailblazer's post |  #5

If the pictures are copyright (and they likely are ) then you are making a copy of them and then publishing them, so that would definately be infringing on the copyright.

I know I would be very upset if you were to do that to my pictures without compensation or permission.

The only exception would be an editorial use.

Note: I am not a lawyer, seek one for accurate advice.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

illm4k3uscr3am
50 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 18, 2008 00:03 |  #6

Well, we could apply the magazine rights to this. They may allow reproduction as long as you do not sell it for profit, or they may not. It really more or less comes down to a what it says ordeal. Technically you paid for the picture when buying the magazine, but I highly doubt at ALL that Rolling Stones will come after you unless you make thousands off of reselling the picture. So I would post it without worries. My only stipulation is DO NOT RESELL IT! Which, I mean even that could be argued before a judge, there are hundreds of Rolling Stones magazines on eBay, so why are they going after each and every one for "violating" the copyright laws of the photographs in and/or on said Magazine? I don't think so.

amccomis
361 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 18, 2008 00:33 |  #7

Michael1116 wrote in post #5349701 (external link)
Is it ok to take a picture of a picture and post it on a web host? Specifically, Baron Wolman (Rolling Stones magazine) took some awesome shots of Janis Joplin in the 60's. I was given a large book of his work. I didn't think it would work too well, but I have a couple of decent pictures of his pictures.

It sounds as if you have made a deliberate attempt at a digital representation of the original. Do you have a flatbed scanner? If not, if you did have one, would you scan the book in?

I think there's a 25-year limit on copyrights (http://www.copyright.g​ov/docs/203.html (external link)) but I don't pretend to understand all of that law.

It's ok to take the pictures, but it's not ok to try and sell them.

Had gear, but sold it off. Starting back in with a SL1 / kit lens. Looking to expand the collection.

Michael1116
THREAD ­ STARTER
429 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 18, 2008 07:13 as a reply to  @ amccomis's post |  #8

Thank you all for your input. I think I will just print it to poster size, frame, hang, and enjoy the memories of a great time I enjoyed in my life.

MySpace (external link)
My Flikr (external link)
Gear List

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 18, 2008 12:43 |  #9

amccomis wrote in post #5353149 (external link)
It's ok to take the pictures, but it's not ok to try and sell them.

um... just like its ok to copy pictures from anyone here as long as I have a print of their's right? http://www.copyright.g​ov/circs/circ15a.html (external link) was the best answer I was able to find about lengths of copyrights. If Baron Wolman still owns the copyright then I am sure he is hoping that you have to legally wait at least 80 more years before you can copy his work since it becomes public domain 70 years after his death. He does sell prints and a quick search will turn up some legal ways to get yourself a poster of his work. The Janis Joplin prints start around $800 :)

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

amccomis
361 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 18, 2008 14:52 |  #10

Stocky wrote in post #5356037 (external link)
um... just like its ok to copy pictures from anyone here as long as I have a print of their's right? http://www.copyright.g​ov/circs/circ15a.html (external link) was the best answer I was able to find about lengths of copyrights. If Baron Wolman still owns the copyright then I am sure he is hoping that you have to legally wait at least 80 more years before you can copy his work since it becomes public domain 70 years after his death. He does sell prints and a quick search will turn up some legal ways to get yourself a poster of his work. The Janis Joplin prints start around $800 :)

Exactly!

Had gear, but sold it off. Starting back in with a SL1 / kit lens. Looking to expand the collection.

Adaptive
don't defend yourself, call modday
1,018 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2008 22:06 |  #11

Would you be posting it just to display how cool it is?

OR

Would you be posting it claiming it as your own?

One of these is ok and will not matter, the other one might not be a good idea...

sponsored links

1,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
Legal question?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.