Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 20 Apr 2008 (Sunday) 00:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Path of Glory.

Tom ­ K.
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 20, 2008 00:38 |  #1

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/2426511863_77b24ece78_o.jpg

Please proceed, Governor.
Visit Me at Flickr ~ http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tomkaz/ (external link)

sponsored links
jbdavies
Cream of the Crop
5,738 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 20, 2008 00:41 |  #2

Oooooooh! Very nice photograph!! I like it a lot. :)

-Jeremy-
UPDATED!! www.sur-realphotography.com (external link) UPDATED!!
Facebook Profile (external link) | Facebook Page (external link)
Google+ (external link)

Gary ­ Lindquist
592 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 20, 2008 00:44 |  #3

Excellent shot!

Gary
Gear: Canon 5D, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Flickr (external link)

drkstang00
339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 20, 2008 06:06 as a reply to  @ Gary Lindquist's post |  #4

beautiful!:D

40D | 300 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/4L | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 85 f/1.8 | 30 f/1.4 EX | 60 f/2.8 Macro | Canon 1.4x TC | Kenko tubes | 430EX

flickr (external link)

jaharris1001
Goldmember
2,199 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 20, 2008 07:35 |  #5

very nice dramatic shot,, the sky is what makes this shot,, nice strong colors

Jim

" I'm growin older,, but not up"
Jimmy Buffett

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 20, 2008 07:57 |  #6

It's an interesting shot and the inscriptions on the stones make you want to find about more but aesthetically it's let down by the sky.

I presume a grad filter was used here. It has over-darkened the nearest clouds but in the distant sky the sky remains pale, and the contrast looks odd and artificial to me.

That's why I prefer exposure blending, that way you have complete control where you adjust the exposure, rather than relying on the straight dividing line on a grad filter.

Photos from Iceland (external link) | London (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

Tom ­ K.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 20, 2008 10:47 |  #7

curiousgeorge wrote in post #5366492 (external link)
It's an interesting shot and the inscriptions on the stones make you want to find about more but aesthetically it's let down by the sky.

I presume a grad filter was used here. It has over-darkened the nearest clouds but in the distant sky the sky remains pale, and the contrast looks odd and artificial to me.

That's why I prefer exposure blending, that way you have complete control where you adjust the exposure, rather than relying on the straight dividing line on a grad filter.

So you want my photos to look more like this one you took?: http://www.georgeandre​ou.net …y/main.php?g2_i​temId=1149 (external link)

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 20, 2008 11:21 |  #8

I can't believe you've gone through my website looking for bad photos!

No, that is an awful picture from my film days.

I was talking about about blending exposures with digital exposures (but I think you knew that).

Actually I'm keen to go back to the States so I can take some better pictures with the knowledge I've gained in the last two years.

Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

andrew748
Goldmember
1,365 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 20, 2008 11:24 |  #9

i like the photo Tom K

but i think your attitude stinks :(

www.andrew748.com (external link)
drawers full of slightly mouldy Leica kit, a couple of newish Japanese bits, nearly every cheap Chinese flash modifying toy ever sold on ebay and sooooo many batteries the TSA have me on a no fly list ;)

Tom ­ K.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 20, 2008 14:40 |  #10

curiousgeorge wrote in post #5367340 (external link)
I can't believe you've gone through my website looking for bad photos!

No, that is an awful picture from my film days.

I was talking about about blending exposures with digital exposures (but I think you knew that).

Actually I'm keen to go back to the States so I can take some better pictures with the knowledge I've gained in the last two years.

My apologies for the confusion. I didn't realize you were referring to blended exposures. I used a graduated neutral density filter to capture the shot I posted above. Makes for some wide dynamic range without all the digital blending problems such as halos.

I do like this method of digital blending when needed however: http://www.adidap.com …namic-range-optimization/ (external link)

All the best,
Tom K.

Tom ­ K.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 20, 2008 14:41 |  #11

andrew748 wrote in post #5367352 (external link)
i like the photo Tom K

Many thanks to you sir.

int3rc3ptor
625 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 20, 2008 15:46 |  #12

I think I like the sky coupled with the stones, gives a moody forboding impression of a path you want to avoid

Canon 7D, Canon 18-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, Jessops 360 FGun, Lowepro Stealth Bag
Buy Landscape Prints (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 21, 2008 08:00 |  #13

Tom K. wrote in post #5368280 (external link)
My apologies for the confusion. I didn't realize you were referring to blended exposures. I used a graduated neutral density filter to capture the shot I posted above. Makes for some wide dynamic range without all the digital blending problems such as halos.

I do like this method of digital blending when needed however: http://www.adidap.com …namic-range-optimization/ (external link)

All the best,
Tom K.

That's the method I was referring to (though I erase from the top layer instead of using masks). I don't like HDR methods either, which attempt to automate this process and end up causing unsightly problems.

The point I was making is that grad ND filters are often not suitable because they dictate what part of the frame is darkened and by how much, and they don't allow for uneven horizons.

bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 21, 2008 16:20 as a reply to  @ curiousgeorge's post |  #14

stunning shot I love it for the initial impact, then the perspective leading the eye through the frame....

Eos 6D Mk1, 300D & G7x modified for Infrared, 17-40f4L, 70-200f4L, 100-400 f5.6 ISL, 15mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, various Lensbaby lenses, a few tripods, flash, GoPro 7 black.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 21, 2008 20:10 as a reply to  @ bikerider's post |  #15

Good work, Tom! ;)

Can you tell us more about the path of glory? What is supposed to be about...I can't make out the inscriptions in the stones.

Cheers! :)

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links

3,356 views & 0 likes for this thread
Path of Glory.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.