Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 20D ?

Melissa ­ in ­ ND
188 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2008 15:12 |  #1

Hope that everyone is having a great day~ we folks here in my neck of the woods got freezing rain this am, so now it's warming up and finally melting away some ice.

But I have this one burning question for anyone of you that can help me with it- here it goes

I just rec'd my Canon 20D today that I purchased from here, and I knew that when they shipped it that it was missing the battery compartment door(they used a grip with it - do you have to take the cover off when using the grip - I don't know anything about the grip) so today when I wanted to make sure that the camera worked, like I pretty much new that it would, the camera wouldn't power up - both batteries are fully charged and then it registered that maybe a person DOES need the battery door on the camera, because it looks like there is a little button that needs to be depressed in order for the camera to work, can anyone relate to this? I tried holding this little button down with the tip of a mechanical pencil and then the camera takes wonderful pictures. The party that I bought this camera from had to order a new battery cover and when they get the part they will mail to me, but what do I do in the meantime while waiting for the door to arrive - any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon. I have to mail off my XT tomorrow to the person that bought that from me.

TIA

Melissa in ND:)
Canon T3i
50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300
Canon 28-135mm IS

sponsored links
nburwell
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2008 15:19 |  #2

There should be a little white clip that holds the battery in place - make sure the battery clicks into place and locks. You should be able to flip the "on" switch from there and start using it. I've used my 20D and my 5D briefly without the battery door attached, and they work fine. I normally use a battery grip anyway, but they did work nonetheless. But just make sure you slide the battery past the white clip and click it into place, so the battery doesn't fall out.

X-WoodButch
438 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 21, 2008 15:21 |  #3

The only other way you can get around this Melissa is, an AC adapter. It will work without the door. I think you're just gonn-a have to wait for the batter door! Bummer!!:confused: X

Canon 50d+Grip, 40d+grip, 20d+grip, Nikon D300+grip, Canon MR-14EX TTL Ring Lite, Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash, Canon EF 70-200mm F4.0 L USM, Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 2 Niffty-Fifty, Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm, Tammy 28-75mm, Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC lens, Tokina 12-24mm f4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO HSM Macro, Manfrotto #3047 legs & head, Bogen/Manfrotto 676B Monopod, Canon Monopod 100, Slik Pro 340 DX Tripod and a bunch of NIKON stuff...

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 21, 2008 15:23 |  #4

Yes, you do need the battery door in order to be able to turn the camera on. There's a micro-switch which closing the door will also close. If you can rig something to depress the switch, you should be able to get it going long enough to test it. It's possible the previous owner stored the door in the space provided (in the grip) and forgot it was there.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

fillet1970
212 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 21, 2008 15:26 |  #5

Whatever the solution you come up with, make sure you don't break that switch (button). Have any idea when you might get the door? It's approx a $15 part. Do you think you can get it quicker from Canon or a local authorized repair facility might have one handy for you?

Canon 7D & 40D EF17-40L, EF24-70L EF70-200 f2.8ISL, EF50 f1.8, 580EXII, 550EX (2x)

Melissa ­ in ­ ND
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2008 15:35 |  #6

Thanks for you ideas, but the person I bought this from sold his battery grip without realizing that the battery cover door was there, so he had to order one and once he recieves the cover he will mail to me, but until then, I don't know what to do. I live in very rural ND and there in nowhere and I mean NOWHERE that I can find one of these. Although I do know someone that might have one, I will have to try.

Canon T3i
50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300
Canon 28-135mm IS

mikerault
Goldmember
1,725 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 21, 2008 16:00 |  #7

two words...Duct Tape...:)

Mike

Mike Ault
Have 20D will travel (20D 17x85 IS USM, 90x300 EF,70x200 IS USM L2.8, 50mm mac, 100mm mac, 16x55 EF all Canon)
http://www.scubamage.c​om (external link)

nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 21, 2008 16:10 |  #8

Just wait it out (or get a replacement locally), no point faffing about with the micro switch (which might be easily broken) if you have the door coming to you as soon as the seller receives it. That said I know how hard twiddling thumbs can be, but anxiety is probably easier to deal with than a canon repair bill =)

Ianfp
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 21, 2008 17:45 |  #9

I'm sure that it is possible to figure a temporary way of holding the battery door switch in. A small piece of palstic carefully placed in the switch recess and held in place with something like Blue Tac (if you've heard about that stuff)? Be careful not to poke anything to far into the recess,
Ian

Ian
Nikon D850, 85mm f/1.4G
5D2
EF17-40 f/4.0 L, EF135 f/2.0L EF200 f/2.8L

EF24-105L, EF100 f/2.8L Macro. EOS-M, 22mm f/2
Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80mm f/2.8

dekalbSTEEL
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 21, 2008 17:49 |  #10

Would have been nice if the seller had arranged to ship the door directly to you from where he's getting it from.....

Grippy 30D, Tokina 300f4, Sigma 18-50f2.8, Canon 70-200f4L, thrifty50mkI, PM7500DX
Jon Gee Photography.com (external link)

Dan ­ Lorth
530 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 21, 2008 17:53 |  #11

i heard the 20D is better than the mark III image quality wise, you should hang onto that camera.

Melissa ­ in ­ ND
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2008 17:59 |  #12

Dan Lorth wrote in post #5376278 (external link)
i heard the 20D is better than the mark III image quality wise, you should hang onto that camera.

Not sure where you got that info, am I missing something? Are you stating that I should indeed hang onto the Canon 20D or the XT that I just sold?

Please help me understand

Canon T3i
50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300
Canon 28-135mm IS

Dan ­ Lorth
530 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 21, 2008 18:23 |  #13

haha no its just a joke about another thread on this message board. the 20D is a great camera, better in my opinion than the XT. congratulations.

Melissa ­ in ­ ND
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2008 18:50 |  #14

Thanks everyone.

Now with the Canon 20D I have lots and lots and lots to learn, but so wanting too, just hope I have enough patience, which is very thin at the moment, with three young daughters (6,4 and 2) there are days like today that I am so ready to walk outside or just go somewhere and HIDE!!!!! CALGON PLEASE take ME AWAY!!!!!!!! Wish it were that easy though.

Thanks again.

Canon T3i
50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300
Canon 28-135mm IS

Velvet ­ G
47 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 21, 2008 18:56 as a reply to  @ Melissa in ND's post |  #15

You could ask whoever you bought it from if the door is still sitting on the grip. Most of the 20D users I know, myself included, just took the door off and clipped it to the battery grip in the space it fits in.

Every time one of them says that they lost it, I tell them to look at their grip and then they have a "doh!" moment.

My opinion, I know you want to play with your new gear but I'd just wait until you have the part so you don't do anything to break it.

sponsored links

1,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 20D ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.