Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 13 Mar 2008 (Thursday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Some Advice On Event Setup

fk6065
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 13, 2008 11:35 |  #1

Hi Everybody,

I have been shooting children's sports for a while and have just done sales by the business card route off my Smugmug Page.

I just got a request to shoot a very large hockey tournament. The catch is they require on site printing.

I have two laptops and a Canon Pixma 5000 printer. I need to get another printer any sugestions or any suggestions on workflow.

I really don't want to embarass myself and would rather turn the job down than mess it up.

Thanks

sponsored links
cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 13, 2008 11:56 |  #2

I think the trick will be to be able to produce good quality JPEGs right out of the camera. I have shot a bunch of minor hockey this year and the one and only time I shot JPEG I was not happy. Lighting is so iffy in most minor hockey rinks that there is almost a need (at least for me anyway) to shoot RAW and then adjust the images in post processing. This of course takes time and probably not something that will work when parents are at your booth 60 seconds after the final buzzer looking for Johnny's picture of the breakaway he had in the first period (which of course will be the one image you did not get)!

I have seen many photogs set up at hockey tourney for this though. Clearly they are either processing very quickly and then posting images, or they are shooting JPEG and parents / players pretty much get what comes out of the camera.

If you can master the image quality aspect you should also have a couple of monitors set up so that people can view the games you have shot on the monitor. They then need to be able to order an image or more. Have order forms handy that they can write team name, game and image number on and of course have prices on this. Another option too is to offer digital images. I once bought an image of my son for $25 burned on CD and then I could reproduce anyway I wanted.

Make sure that you build in some lag time for printing photos. For example if a parent orders a photo, have it ready for pick up the following morning or in X hours. I don't think you should be expected to produce a print immediately on request, particulalrly if you get busy.

You should also let parents know that ALL images will be available on your web site after the fact so that they can come back and order if needed. Make sure you give out cards with the address and such.

As to shooting, part of my problem with time to process is that I commonly shoot ~400-500 frames a game. Clearly you won't be able to do this so you probably need to ensure you get at least one "hockey card" type shot of each player on each team for each game. Or you simply shoot what you can and so be it. Also, you will no doubt get request s from parents to specifically shoot Johnny during his game. No problem with this...simply make sure you focus on all your request shots first and then do the rest second.

You will clearly also need another person to assist so that your booth and laptops etc can be manned while you are shooting the games. They can also assist at DLing (and processing and printing) the photos from the cards and making sure you have blank cards ready for the next game.

Keep things simple...some photogs offer specialty prints )e.g. mock magazine covers, etc) but again this means you need someone who can do this quickly in PS or other program and get it printed.

Obviously you will need to ensure you have lots of paper,ink,CDs, etc on hand and that the rink has a secure place (with outlets handy) that you can set up at and store all your stuff).

Hope that helps a bit. I have never attempted this (largely because of all the issues I discuss above, but I am contemplating it for the future).

Good luck and let us know how it goes (or not!).

Cheers!
Chris

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

fk6065
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 22, 2008 19:55 |  #3

Good luck and let us know how it goes (or not!).

Total disaster!

docfav
459 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 22, 2008 20:03 |  #4

I wish you well on this. I thought about this for other events and could never get it going do to the fact of so many things can and will go wrong.

However,the Epson picture mates are great for printing smaller pictures (4x6). You can get refurbushed ones cheaply online. A couple of those for either proofs or wallets (you can set them up to print wallet sized) would help a great deal.

And again, let us know how you do!!!

Doc

My Gear
My Flickr (external link)

athsmom
31 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 23, 2008 08:44 |  #5

Total disaster!

Care to elaborate. Have been asked to do something similar and would appreciate the advise.

40D & 50D w/BG-E2's EF 50 1.4. EF 85 1.8
EF 70-200 2.8L, EF 100-400, EF 28-135 IS
EF 1.4X TELE CON 580 EX and430EX Speedlites and some Buzzin' Bees

coleygm
317 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 23, 2008 11:18 |  #6

fk6065 wrote in post #5384218 (external link)
Total disaster!

please share...I never learned anything from something i did right!

Greg
DigitalTheta.com (external link)

sponsored links

904 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Some Advice On Event Setup
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.