Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Apr 2008 (Thursday) 07:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Website

this thread is locked
lbeck
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 07:35 |  #1

edit: If you are a web designer or graphic designer, please PM me and I will send you the link.

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

sponsored links
lbeck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 07:35 |  #2

removed

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 24, 2008 07:38 |  #3

Use the /!\ button to alert a mod to do it for you.

Great looking site too :D

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

lbeck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 07:40 as a reply to  @ Anke's post |  #4

Thanks Anke. I notified them ;)

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

PhotosGuy
75,915 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 24, 2008 08:19 |  #5

It takes a while to load (cable connection, which I have because I don't want to wait.) & the kids will love it, but it's a bit too cute for me. "Mystery Meat" navigation in that you have to hunt for the links. Individual index pics are partially hidden so you can't see what image you want to look at, & NO, I don't want to see your entire slide show.
And, search engines don't care for flash from what I've read.

You need to have at least Flash Player 8 to view.

While I have it, I exit any site that wants me to download a plug-in.

So the question is, what do you want the site to do? Show off your design skills to the cool crowd, or entice we dinosaurs to buy a confusing website? ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

lbeck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 08:28 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #6

removed

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 24, 2008 09:56 |  #7

I have to agree. I view tons of flash sites every day and it does load a bit slow--not sure why or what you can do to speed it up. I am not a web expert by any means just offering some feedback.
I love the look and feel of the site--- the colors are great.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

lbeck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 10:02 as a reply to  @ stathunter's post |  #8

removed

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2008 11:05 |  #9

lbeck wrote in post #5394086 (external link)
Not to be rude, but you said it all right there. Sorry man, look around the web all the good sites are now flash based. If this site is confusing to you then there is a problem.

I totally disagree. For some reason photographers have got it in their head that a website must be flash in order for it to be good :rolleyes:. That's BS. I (and many others like myself) don't like flash sites. And IMO, a flash site is the WORST type of site to have when you're showing off image galleries. Flash does have it's place in websites, but it doesn't have to take up the entire website. More often than not, flash sites just end up being an irritation and causing confusion. But when you believe that you have to follow all the other photographers and build a flash site just because that's the "thing to do"... what more can you say? But besides that, your site in particular is just plain hard to navigate.

lbeck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 12:03 as a reply to  @ Ledrak's post |  #10

removed

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

lbeck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 12:07 as a reply to  @ Ledrak's post |  #11

removed

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

reneethomas
Demoted and banished by the TF
3,051 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 24, 2008 12:45 |  #12

lbeck wrote in post #5395262 (external link)
What are you smoking? Hard to navigate? Seriously, like I said before, if this site is confusing or hard to navigate then you should not even be online.

May I ask to see your website?

You don't have to be rude to people when you are asking their opinion!

Hard to navigate? No, a bit annoying to navigate yes. I just don't particularly like all the drop down text when you mouse over images. Personally on the front page I think it would be nicer to have those menu images with the words on the image instead of it dropping down. Also if you go to your portfolio and click on kids the "film strip" at the bottom gives a horrible squashed preview.

You don't have to have all "flash" on the site for it to be hip or cool. Removing some of the flash will not throw it into the prehistoric age either.

Racquel is my real name
Gear List Flickr (external link) BugGuide (external link)Facebook (external link)

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 24, 2008 13:22 |  #13

I have a lousy connection here and gave up after waiting about 5 minutes on the first page. I may not be your target audience, but I like a lot of the sites I see in signatures here, but I didn't even wait long enough to see yours.

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

lbeck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 13:37 as a reply to  @ Stocky's post |  #14

removed

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

reneethomas
Demoted and banished by the TF
3,051 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 24, 2008 13:44 |  #15

lbeck wrote in post #5395801 (external link)
I knew I shouldn't of posted this thread because my experience here is that most photogrpahers don't have an inkling of design experience. Which is very easy to tell based off of their own websites.

If your "crappy" connection is a dial up connection, then yes, it will take forever to load. I do all of my business through word of mouth, and every single one of my clients have raved about my new site, and I guess thats all that matters.

I just have a sore spot for the flash ahters who wuotmatically dismiss a good site because its flash. Seriously people, get a clue.

Seriously check your attitude at the door and get over yourself. Just because somebody does not like your design does not mean they do not have design experience or their opinion does not matter. Not everyone is going to like your site and just because someone does not like your site there is no need to insult them. And please don't ask for opinions if you don't want to hear somebody say they do not like it. I guess only people who praise your work is allowed to respond.

Racquel is my real name
Gear List Flickr (external link) BugGuide (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,839 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Website
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.