Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

sunpack 555 and vivitar 285hv power

dirt ­ lover
337 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 23, 2008 16:16 |  #1

Right now I'm using regular AA's but would like something that last longer, gets better recycle time and would possibly produce more light. I can't afford the quantum packs or a blackbox right now.

Does anyone use these (external link) for their 555? How does it compare to regular AA's?

For the vivitar, I should probably get rechargeable NIMH AA's? Which ones?

Dakine Sequence { 20D | Sigma 10-20 f/4| Tamron 17-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 55-200 f/4 | 3 Vivitar 285HVs | 3 Pocket Wizards }
PBmedia (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 23, 2008 16:21 |  #2

If the weight is not a consideration and you need high capacity batteries, then sealed lead acid batteries are very good for the purpose. They're cheap too, but you need a lead acid charger for them though.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

new_user
138 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 23, 2008 21:44 |  #3

dirt lover wrote in post #5389935 (external link)
Does anyone use these (external link) for their 555? How does it compare to regular AA's?

For the vivitar, I should probably get rechargeable NIMH AA's? Which ones?

for 555, the packs indicate that they are nicad packs. Not really sure how they would compare to Nimh cells. It will give you faster re-cycle times but not as long I would think.
I would suggest picking up a LSD Cells (ie. sanyo enelope, pre-charged). I picked up a pack from Costco for about 20 bucks which included charger, 4 AAA and 8 AA. They recycle faster (than nicad or alkies) ,last longer.

I would stay away from some of the 2500 mAh or 2650 mAh rated Nimh cells due to them loosing their charge too quickly when not used. And stick to known brands such as sanyo who makes the best cells as far as I know.

Regards.
Victor

New to XTI Jan-2008
Kit lens.

dirt ­ lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 23, 2008 23:05 as a reply to  @ new_user's post |  #4

Thanks for the help!

Aren't the quantum and black box battery's lead acid? What's the difference between those and regular lead acid batterys?

How would this work? http://www.parts-express.com …tl.cfm?partnumb​er=140-455 (external link)

Dakine Sequence { 20D | Sigma 10-20 f/4| Tamron 17-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 55-200 f/4 | 3 Vivitar 285HVs | 3 Pocket Wizards }
PBmedia (external link)

dirt ­ lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 23, 2008 23:20 |  #5

Those eneloops look really good. I should get some of those!

PBmedia (external link)

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 23, 2008 23:39 |  #6

You might be able to run the 285HV on lead acid batteries (6 Volts), but you are going to have a hard time finding a suitable lead acid battery for the 9 Volts required by the Sunpak 555 without employing a lot of complicated electrical shenanigans..

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

dirt ­ lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 24, 2008 02:42 |  #7

Would that 12V lead acid battery work for them?

PBmedia (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 24, 2008 10:28 |  #8

dirt lover wrote in post #5393109 (external link)
Would that 12V lead acid battery work for them?

No, you'll kill your vivitars with 12v.

I've seen separate lead acid cells sold on the internet somewhere. If you just connect them in series you'll be able to use them, but how to charge them is another question.

Alternatively, you can just modify a standard car battery and use only half the cells that are in there at a time, but that again might present a charging problem.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

NVcameraman
263 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 24, 2008 11:09 |  #9

dirt lover wrote in post #5392122 (external link)
Aren't the quantum and black box battery's lead acid? What's the difference between those and regular lead acid batterys?

You have to be careful on making sure you get the proper voltage. I have a couple of Sunpack 544's and I looked in to Al Jacobs batteries but they have to be special builds for the voltage (9volt) needed and he quoted me $200 so I didnt buy any as I could not afford to get the 2 I would need to run both flashes from separate locations. I do use his tuxedo battery for my 550's and 580's and it is a great battery so when i can afford the others it will be worth it.

Ben Morrow :) www.eagleeyephotograph​y.us (external link)
20D|Rebel XT|D30|Sigma 120-300 f2.8|Sigma 70-210 f2.8|Sigma 24-70 f2.8|Sigma 12-24 f4.5-5.6|Tamron 75-300 f4-5.6|Canon 50 f1.8|580EX|420EX|Sunpa​k 544 x2| Quantum 1+ battery|DIY battery pack

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 24, 2008 13:01 |  #10

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #5394680 (external link)
No, you'll kill your vivitars with 12v.

I've seen separate lead acid cells sold on the internet somewhere. If you just connect them in series you'll be able to use them, but how to charge them is another question.

Alternatively, you can just modify a standard car battery and use only half the cells that are in there at a time, but that again might present a charging problem.

This is still a problem with the 555, that is looking for 9 Volts. Lead acid cells produce just a bit over 2 Volts.

So, even connecting individual lead acid cells in series to for a battery, you will end up with an anemic 8 Volts, or a bit too much 10 Volts.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

b1gdaddy
348 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 24, 2008 15:45 as a reply to  @ FlashZebra's post |  #11

Using an LM338 voltage regulator with variable resistor, will probably allow you to use a 12v SLA to power your flash. Not sure how much current the 555 draws but this regulator will give 5A with 7A peak, I have used this regulator a few times to power radios/TV's from a car battery & normally works fine. I plan to try this with my sunpak 3600's at some point but it is on my ever increasing "to do" list ;). There are normally simple circuits on the component data sheet.

dirt ­ lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 30, 2008 19:33 |  #12

I ordered some some Eneloops and the Kodak charger. I wonder how much longer they will last with my flashes compared to alkalines.

PBmedia (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,479 views & 0 likes for this thread.
sunpack 555 and vivitar 285hv power
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.