Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Apr 2008 (Friday) 07:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon or Nikon for Beginners?

sgogula
777 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 25, 2008 07:17 |  #1

I am asking this questions as Nikon has more lens for beginners like 18-200 VR, 16-85 VR, etc..

Is Canon targetting only professionals in terms of releasing their lens? Most of inexpensive lens in canon starts from 24-XXX, which are not wide enough for crop camera's.

I know canon has 18-55 and 17-85, which people in this forum says useless lens!!!

This is just my view, people may differ..

Canon 5D III | Canon 24-70 L II | Canon 50D | Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II | Sigma 17-50 OS | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | 580,430 EX II Speedlite

sponsored links
FelixP
516 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 25, 2008 07:19 |  #2

I'm fairly sure consumer grade Nikon lenses wouldn't compare favourably with the higher end Nikon lenses either though.

1N HS - 1D MKII - 16-35 2.8L II - 50 1.4 - 80-200 2.8L - 550EX - 430EX

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,100 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 25, 2008 07:20 |  #3

C'mon man, obviously Canon has a huge stable of lenses geared towards beginners..
Canon Invented the "beginners" DSLR with the Rebel/300D and invented the "crop only" lens with the 18-55mm kit lens.

This is a Canon forum made up mostly of Canon shooting beginners.
How can you postulate to us that Canon is not for beginners?

17-85mm useless?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Mike ­ Bell
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 25, 2008 07:22 |  #4

Canon make a 10-22 specifically for their crop cameras. Also there are Sigma and other makes.

Choice of camera brand should be made on a whole variety of criteria. There is a huge range of lenses of all prices for both Canon and Nikon.

What do want to do with your camera? What's your budget? :)

Canon EOS 5DS R EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 28mm f/1.8 USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM TS-E 17mm f/4L TS-E 45mm f/2.8 TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 25, 2008 07:29 |  #5

Professional and advanced amateur photographers tend to overemphasize the shortcomings of the cheaper lenses. Of course inexpensive lenses like the Canon 18-55 and 17-85 (and Nikon 16-85) have weaknesses, that's part of the compromise in getting a cheap lens.

Many good shots can be taken with cheap lenses from either manufacturer.

The one piece of kit that I do think is hostile to a beginner is the Nikon D40/D40X. This camera cannot AF most Nikkor primes which is crippling for anyone who buys one and gets really interested in photography. If you just want a dSLR for a top level P&S then the D40 is OK but it is not a body to grow with.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Subimatt
522 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 25, 2008 07:31 |  #6

the kit lens is fine for beginners and you can take some great shots with it. Sure there are better lenses out there but I wouldnt call it garbage. The new version that comes with the XSi is even better and has IS. Not to mention they now have the 55-250 IS lens available giving you comple FL coverage from 18-250. Just noticed your a local... Go to Xgates and play with them and see which works best for you. Both Nikon and Canon have capable entry SLRs.

5D2 x3,5Dc,60D,40D,16-35LII,24-70L,70-200L 2.8IS,15 FE,24LII,35L,45TSE,50Lx2,85LII,100L Macro,135L,580exII x5
BLOG (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)
Facebook! (external link)

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 25, 2008 07:31 as a reply to  @ Mike Bell's post |  #7

Both are good for beginners. In fact, just about every brand is. It's only when we start talking about more specialized equipment that Canon and Nikon pretty much separate away from the other brands.

For beginners, I think a Canon 450D and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS would be very nice. But read very carefully before you buy anything. Ask for user opinions, read reviews. Try them yourself at the store.

LightWorks Portfolio (external link)
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiae (external link)
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 25, 2008 07:44 |  #8

What does being a beginner have anything to do with it? Buy good eqipment and learn how to shoot, period. Good being any consumer/prosumer level dslr equipment will do, period.

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 25, 2008 07:45 |  #9

Its a flip of the coin as to witch is better.

I am a Canon guy ONLY because my father had a Canon. When I started, I got a body and a lens, then borrowed his long lenses. I do love Canon but I am not a 'brand guy' I would most likley be a Nikon guy if my father had a Nikon. When I transfered over from the AE1 to the EOS line, I only stayed with Canon because of the EOS RT. At the time the pellical mirror was what I really needed. To bad it didnt catch on. It was great that the viewfinder never blacked out when you released the shutter.

Today there is really no bad cameras. Sure there are ones not of professional quality. But for the most part a beginner can pretty much go blindly and pick a camera up and you will end up with a decent camera.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

lildexmom
258 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 25, 2008 07:48 as a reply to  @ Mike Bell's post |  #10

I think Sgogula has a point. My 40D was the first DSLR that I ever bought, and I was very happy with it and the 17-85mm kit lens until I started hanging around this forum. Then all of a sudden I found out from the forum members that it was a "over-priced piece of crap". I baught into that line of thinking and sold it so that I could have "the best lens made for the 1.6x cameras".

Now dont get me wrong the 17-55mm f/2.8 is very nice and since I am gainfully employed I could afford to own it - but the truth is my limited photography experience does not justify the purchase, I got caught up into thinking the average Canon "consumer" lenses are no good. Just earlier some one was telling another member that the 50mm f/1.8 was "crap" now this kind of feed back could easily get some one new to photography thinking that maybe since they cant afford to buy the more expensive "not-so-crappy" Canon lenses that maybe they should consider investing into a different camera system where the begginers equipment is not considered to be crap.

Canon ~ 7D, 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS,
and, 430EX ll

sgogula
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 25, 2008 07:50 |  #11

I know both Nikon and Canon have Camera's for beginners but my question was who has better lens for beginners Canon or Nikon?

Canon 5D III | Canon 24-70 L II | Canon 50D | Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II | Sigma 17-50 OS | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | 580,430 EX II Speedlite

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 25, 2008 07:57 |  #12

sgogula wrote in post #5400926 (external link)
I know both Nikon and Canon have Camera's for beginners but my question was who has better lens for beginners Canon or Nikon?

Truth is both Nikon & Canon have similarly marginal consumer level lenses. The entry level kit lenses on both (and I have worked with each) are plastic & cheap and of equal quality in build and IQ. As you move to the big guns, the price of telephotos & high end zooms are lower with canon than Nikon.

More interestingly however, is that I personally think Nikon has a more robust and durable entry level camera set-up than Canon. The Nikon D40, D60 series are much better built than the Canon Rebel series which feel far more plasticy and lightweight than the Nikon equivalent.

In the end it hard to go wrong with either system....just don't turn into some religious fanatic once you pick a side ;)

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 25, 2008 08:00 |  #13

sgogula wrote in post #5400926 (external link)

Doesn't matter, really. If you went with Nikon, you could get their 18-200mm VR. Go with Canon, and you have the Sigma 18-200mm OS. I reckon they'd be pretty much on par in terms of performance.

If you seriously wanted just a beginner system (ie. a camera and standard zoom and nothing else) and never wanted to delve any deeper or expand your system, look at Pentax's K10D or K20D. That way, you pretty much get an image stabilized lens at no extra cost.

I cannot tell you which brand has better lenses for a beginner because to my mind, photographic experience doesn't dictate the choice of gear. It's the size of the wallet. And on top of that, you generally get what you pay for. So whether you're a beginner or pro, if pay more, you get more (generally).

So the ultimate question would be 'What's your budget?' Then with that in mind, check out the reviews and do some shopping. People at this forum will also help of course.

LightWorks Portfolio (external link)
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiae (external link)
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 25, 2008 08:02 |  #14

You buy Canon for the glass and the simplicity. Canon is a very easy camera to use. If you start with a Rebel series, the camera can do most of the work, other than composition. You can take some very good images with a Rebel and kit lens. Look at the kit lens thread. As you progress, the Canon system allows for growth, from the camera doimg nearly everything to completely manual. Read lots of books, take lots of images and study the exif to see the numbers.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

sgogula
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 25, 2008 08:07 as a reply to  @ T.Hogan's post |  #15

Infact I use Canon and I would disagree if someone asked me the same question but I know myself what is the fact!!!

I see most of the replies from Senior Members who must be using 'L' lens and FF camera's but being a beginner, I choose one lens for all..

sponsored links

2,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon or Nikon for Beginners?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.