Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Apr 2008 (Saturday) 16:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

From Hobby To Making Money In Photography-Advise Please.

Josh ­ V
236 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 26, 2008 16:30 |  #1

Hi all,this is my 1st post here in this forum.

I always had an interest in photography always taking picture everywhere with a point and shoot film and digital camara.I finaly got my 1st DSLR camara a few months ago and been taking a lot of photos and a lot of experimenting and learning a lot on my own.I have been wanting also to take some photography classes.

Anyway Im also a DJ at different clubs and have friends who promote,DJ and Female dancers who also model.Ive already done photo coverage of certain events and clubs and I've done some photo shoots for Promoters/DJ's to be added on to Club flyers.taking these low light photos is a challenge I hope to master some day.

Well Im always getting asked "How much do you charge" or like th other day I took some photos of my friends and he insisted on paying me.

I am still very much an amature and still have a lot to learn however I wont pass an oppurtunity if given but I dont charge anything because I guess I dont feel confident enough to do so yet and take on these photo shoots to get real life experience as opposed to looking at videos and reading books and Im learning agreat deal.

The more Im doing,Im finding myself dealing with other people rather than just friends and I know I cant just take everyones Photos and not suggest a price (I learned this well from the DJ game).I just dont know how to charge or what to base it on.

I have a friend who wants to get me some work with his company who works with freelance photographers.Hes The lead designer and over looks some of the photo assignments.He said I just needed to build a portfolio.He showed me photos recently from a photographer they work with and told me they have been unhappy with him and my friend told me that I can do better.I dont mean to sound to harsh or arrogant but for the money this guy is making for the shots he's taking,I feel confident enough to do this with a point and shoot.So its a matter of building a portfolio right now.

I have an album cover to shoot this weekend for some local rappers and also taking action shots of my friends Paintball tournament.Sometimes I think Im getting ahead of myself but I want to get all the experience I can with many types of photography.I just wanted to do this for fun like my muisc but 1 thing leads to another sometimes and I do aprreciate that.My photos may not be as good as I know I can eventually get them to look but if others like what Im doing so far and if I can make a little $$$,Why Not?

Sorry for the long post :-)
Any Advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

5D Mark II, 580 ex II, 24-70mm f/2.8L

sponsored links
Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 26, 2008 19:52 |  #2

So what exactly is your question? :confused:

tangcla
Cream of the Crop
9,779 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 26, 2008 20:08 |  #3

yeah, so what is your question? :p

It's fair to charge for your time, but just remember that what you charge should be dictated by how good your shots are. It will also dictate how much you will be able to charge in future, too, so if you do lots of free stuff now, it might be hard to get a break in the game later.

Clarence
www.tangcla.com - photography (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS| 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

Josh ­ V
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 26, 2008 20:49 |  #4

tangcla wrote in post #5410285 (external link)
yeah, so what is your question? :p

It's fair to charge for your time, but just remember that what you charge should be dictated by how good your shots are. It will also dictate how much you will be able to charge in future, too, so if you do lots of free stuff now, it might be hard to get a break in the game later.

Actually,thats the kind of answer I was looking for I guess.Thanks.

So would you suggest then I dont go outside my "friend zone" untill I feel confident in my shots to take photos for other people?

5D Mark II, 580 ex II, 24-70mm f/2.8L

tangcla
Cream of the Crop
9,779 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 26, 2008 20:52 |  #5

You can approach it in several ways.

Take photos and sell the prints would be the easiest, however I doubt you'd get much sales (from personal experience).

If you're approached to cover an event, you can either charge hourly (which could get messy), or charge as a lump sum (which might seem expensive).

At the end of the day, it's like webpage designers - there's a HUUUUUGE flood of people who are 'professional photographers', and some of them might do it for free. What makes yours better than theirs? Is it really worth paying for your shots, versus whatever freebies these amateur photographers give?

Clarence
www.tangcla.com - photography (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS| 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

John ­ Mireles
259 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 26, 2008 23:13 |  #6

Charge or don't charge. Doesn't matter. Just don't promise anything you can't or don't feel comfortable delivering. At your stage, the people that want to hire you don't have much money so you're about all they can afford. Just be honest about your experience and your abilities. It's buyer beware in the marketplace so if people hire you, they get what they get.

John

www.photographerstoolk​it.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,910 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 27, 2008 10:01 |  #7

or like th other day I took some photos of my friends and he insisted on paying me.

For A GOOD friend, who occasionally buys me a beer, & can keep his mouth shut, I'd give a good price, as in my cost. For anyone else, I'd charge for the shoot, include a set # of prints or web images, + charge for the individual rights.
I'd be sure to give those figures to my friend so he'd be able to say what the shoot cost him when someone asks. ;)

I have a friend who wants to get me some work with his company who works with freelance photographers.

ASK him what the good free-lancers are getting?

Some links: (More links at the bottom left hand corner of this thread.)

Concert Photography Tips: A FAQ Perhaps

Night Club Photography Tips and Techniques

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

1,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
From Hobby To Making Money In Photography-Advise Please.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.