Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2008 (Sunday) 00:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 5D-what the heck!!!!

GerBee
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 27, 2008 05:13 |  #16

I've copied your image and imported it into PS, from level one white picker click on the brightest part of the sail makes it really pop.

Try is on your original, :)

limeydal wrote in post #5411501 (external link)
Well took my new 5D on it's first shoot covering sailing events in San Diego Bay.!
Yuk ! what the heck is going on.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
Paul ­ Pagano
68 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 27, 2008 07:12 |  #17

Higher end cameras usually meter a little darker so as not to blow out whites and lose detail. Cameras meter for middle gray, some a bit darker than others. Most amateurs don't care if they shoot white in sunlight and cannot see details in the white...they never notice. These bodies also expect that you'll be post processing and want more control over your images. Pattern metering will only cause the overall scene to be a bit darker than if evaluative metering was used.

| Canon 40D/BG-E2N | 30D/BG-E2 | 430 EX | 400mm f/5.6L |70-200mm f/4L | 85mm f/1.8 | 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Macro | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 |
flickr (external link)
Pbase (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 27, 2008 07:19 |  #18

Dal, my choice of metering for an event like this one would definitely be MANUAL for the camera and a handheld meter in incident mode to determine how much light is falling on the subject rather than depending on any type of reflected meter. You could use the camera's meter and a standardized gray card to get the incident reading, but it's much more awkward to use than a handheld meter.

I would absolutely NOT want an automated in-camera meter making the decisions for me because of the nature of the subject. As others have said, the large white sails will easily fool any reflected-light meter. In addition, the in-camera meter would make different decisions from shot to shot depending on what's in the viewfinder at the time.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

ijohnson
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Apr 27, 2008 07:28 |  #19

On a sunny day like this with white sails all over the place, I am very surprised that you wouldn't shoot in M. I can't imagine using anything else in that situation.

www.trickoflight.net (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/i​tj12345 (external link)
Original 5D still ROCKS!!!

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 27, 2008 09:19 |  #20

Tsmith wrote in post #5411520 (external link)
Partial metering and those white sails are probably the culprit.

Vignetting - gonna happen more with a full frame sensor than the APS-C.

Agreed.

Dial in +0.5-1EC if you put your center AF point (where the metering is - in the circle surrounding it). With the white sales against the darker blue sky, you pretty much got an 18% metered solution out of the camera - just what it is supposed to do.

You can try this in PS by adjusting exposure to see if this is it. Try to get it right in the camera.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 27, 2008 09:25 |  #21

SkipD wrote in post #5412521 (external link)
Dal, my choice of metering for an event like this one would definitely be MANUAL for the camera and a handheld meter in incident mode to determine how much light is falling on the subject rather than depending on any type of reflected meter. You could use the camera's meter and a standardized gray card to get the incident reading, but it's much more awkward to use than a handheld meter.

I would absolutely NOT want an automated in-camera meter making the decisions for me because of the nature of the subject. As others have said, the large white sails will easily fool any reflected-light meter. In addition, the in-camera meter would make different decisions from shot to shot depending on what's in the viewfinder at the time.

I shoot yacht racing and boats all the time. You don't need to shoot it in manual and I wouldn't.

Put the 5D in spot metering - aim the center spot at the sails and dial in +1 EC (maybe a touch more). This will be easy because of the size of the sails in relation to your frame. Very helpful if you separate the AF from the exposure with the custom configs and use the * button for AF control.

If you were trying to shoot this from another boat (<40'), a handheld meter and/or gray card is just not going to cut it. Too much stuff to fool with and no time to do it since the boats are moving surprisingly fast.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 27, 2008 09:40 |  #22

OP, off topic, but I think your calendar is incorrect. EXIF shows 4/27/08 image date.

My Gear

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 27, 2008 09:43 as a reply to  @ post 5412209 |  #23

I agree. Use spot metering and meter off of the white sails. You might blow out the sails depening on how much light is shining on them. It depends.

Photography ­ Krazee
56 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 27, 2008 09:53 |  #24

Now, now ya all!! One thing I have noticed on POTN is that some members can be quite snotty and sarcastic at times.

Come on...give people a break and respond with constructive criticism. Even if peeved, good natureness is appropriate and polite.

limeydal
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 27, 2008 10:34 as a reply to  @ Photography Krazee's post |  #25

Runninman, thanks for the info; on the date! All set now.
Krazee, thanks for the concern :D
Lots to try out and will see what works best for me.
As JohnJ says, I dont have much time to "mess around"in the type of shooting I do.
So need a workable way, to shoot yachts while bobbing around on a 20ft Inflatable.
Maybe should have stuck to the "Amateur cameras" :oops:
Appreciatte all the imput;
cheers Dal

totalbeginner
613 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 27, 2008 10:40 as a reply to  @ Photography Krazee's post |  #26

I'm using the 5D and this would be my advice...

Put the camera in manual mode. If it's a cloudless day, then it's unlikely that the light is going to change dramatically over short periods. Take a spot meter reading, followed by a test shot and then check the histogram.

Now that you're in manual, the camera won't change the Av or Tv values and you should get consistent exposures. In an automatic or semi-automatic mode, I find that when shooting scenes with a large dynamic range, the meter is fooled by the extremes and you get very inconsistent results.

If the sun's dipping in and out of the clouds, then I would suggest using Tv or Av and dialling in some EC.

View my gear list HERE
Don't submit to stupid rules, be yourself and not a fool. Don't accept average habits, open your heart and PUSH THE LIMITS!

dekalbSTEEL
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 27, 2008 10:54 |  #27

limeydal wrote in post #5413181 (external link)
Runninman, thanks for the info; on the date! All set now.
Krazee, thanks for the concern :D
Lots to try out and will see what works best for me.
As JohnJ says, I dont have much time to "mess around"in the type of shooting I do.
So need a workable way, to shoot yachts while bobbing around on a 20ft Inflatable.
Maybe should have stuck to the "Amateur cameras" :oops:
Appreciatte all the imput;
cheers Dal

Hire a driver;)

Grippy 30D, Tokina 300f4, Sigma 18-50f2.8, Canon 70-200f4L, thrifty50mkI, PM7500DX
Jon Gee Photography.com (external link)

Grentz
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 27, 2008 11:03 |  #28

Looks like you got 18% grey on the sails in the first pic ;)

I dont have anything to add really though, I think you have gotten some great advice from those above.

Search.TechIslands.com (external link) - Photography Shopping Search Engine

www.TechIslands.com (external link) - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 27, 2008 11:20 |  #29

totalbeginner wrote in post #5413201 (external link)
I'm using the 5D and this would be my advice...

Put the camera in manual mode. If it's a cloudless day, then it's unlikely that the light is going to change dramatically over short periods. Take a spot meter reading, followed by a test shot and then check the histogram.

Now that you're in manual, the camera won't change the Av or Tv values and you should get consistent exposures. In an automatic or semi-automatic mode, I find that when shooting scenes with a large dynamic range, the meter is fooled by the extremes and you get very inconsistent results.

If the sun's dipping in and out of the clouds, then I would suggest using Tv or Av and dialling in some EC.

You see, that is exactly the problem when shooting sailing. The light does change quite dramatically on the boat as it moves in relation to the sun and pitching due to the sea state. The sails can cast large shadows over the boat, or be quite dark in one orientation and then completely the opposite in another orientation. It can happen even with relatively small shifts in the trim of the sails or quickly when the boat tacks. So, it really isn't a static lighting situation.

Also, in order to get decent up close sailing shots, 90% of the time you need to be on another boat (or in an aircraft) unless - by chance - the boats are close to shore and you have some really long glass. Since pretty much any boat <40' is not a stable platform you often are in the mode of "one hand for yourself, one had for the boat." Most shooting of this nature is done from much smaller boats than that because of the maneuverability required to get to good shooting positions. That makes it quite difficult for any fooling with anything.

So, while in general I agree with the manual metering comments for outdoor bright shooting, I don't agree with it in this particular case. It is probably the most dynamic shooting situation I am in with both the shooting platform being unstable and the rapidly changing light.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

sevans16
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 27, 2008 11:46 |  #30

why not use Matrix metering? I find that I generally get better results with Matrix, I also use Spot metering but find that pictures are not consistent frame to frame. Use your histogram!! Oh yeah USE your Histogram!!

www.777Photography.com (external link)
D850, D810, Tamron 15-30 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8E VR, 24-70 f2.8E VR, 300 f4 PF, 200-500 f5.6E VR, 500 f5.6E PF, Nikon 85 f1.8G
Gitzo 3540/5540LS, Markins M-20, RRS B2 LR II, Wimberly WH200 Gimbal Head, CS6, LR4, 3-Elinchrom Style RX sets, Eli Quadras

sponsored links

10,440 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 5D-what the heck!!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.