Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Apr 2008 (Tuesday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D or Nikon D300

docmarioce
171 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2008 21:32 |  #1

Any body has had or tried both cameras? What you think about about them?

Thanks

Mario
Canon T2i |17-40 4L |70-300 IS |Sigma 50 2.8 Macro

sponsored links
Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 29, 2008 21:56 |  #2

Out of curiosity Mario are you considering a switch or an addition to your lineup?

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 29, 2008 22:08 |  #3

Not sure you'd get many 5D users saying that they'd switch...

I have a 5D, and sure do like it. Never used the Ni***, but, I wouldn't want to switch and have to start all over.

Good luck in your quest. Maybe check with a user with the name of TMR Design...he's one that switched from a 30D to a D300 (I think)...but made the switch from Canon to Nikon, for sure.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2008 22:15 |  #4

5d and d300 are completely different beasts... very, very few 5d users will switch to the 1.5 crop d300... FF will do that to you... d3 on the other hand, perhaps, though unlikely due to the costs involved. starting out, i'de look at lower end models, perhaps a 60d (nikon, not 8th generation advanced amateur canon line) or xsi.

in your case, you have a decent deal of lenses in the nikon side, but it's still low enough to switch. 17-55 doesn't have a true competitor in the canon side, but 24-70 is a great contender on a 5d

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 29, 2008 22:18 |  #5

There are plenty of reviews and comparisons between the 2. Usually between the Nikon D3 vs. the Canon 5D and the D300 as the middle man in optics and noise control.
The 5D out performs the D300 in noise and image quality. Since the 5D has a full frame sensor it will boast higher resolution and noise control over most Nikons besides the D3 which is a hair better.

http://patrickengman.c​om (external link)
Instagram: brotherly_dove
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2008 22:21 |  #6

What has me even more confused is why he's asking this on a Canon forum. That's like going to a ford dealership and asking which do you prefer, ford or chevy!?!?

Most of us here (I do know some on here who are nikon shooters, the heathens! Just kidding!) are Canon users. I wouldn't want to switch to nikon because I'd have to get new lenses, new flash, new ... bleh. Not worth the trouble when I'm perfectly happy with my camera system.

To the OP - you already have Nikon equipment. Why not stay nikon? Save yourself the headache of switching over to Canon, unless somehow, you've seen the light. :P

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 29, 2008 22:36 |  #7

Maybe he's realizing Canons are usually the big guns around here.

GET IT?? CAUSE CANONS ARE LIKE GUNS? RIGHT?? WHO'S WITH ME!?! HIGH 5?

Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

greg20d
Typo King
1,972 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 29, 2008 22:42 |  #8

EOSBoy wrote in post #5431296 (external link)
Maybe he's realizing Canons are usually the big guns around here.

GET IT?? CAUSE CANONS ARE LIKE GUNS? RIGHT?? WHO'S WITH ME!?! HIGH 5?

Thanks for the laugh ...:lol::lol:

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

docmarioce
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2008 22:44 |  #9

Zansho wrote in post #5431214 (external link)
What has me even more confused is why he's asking this on a Canon forum. That's like going to a ford dealership and asking which do you prefer, ford or chevy!?!?

Most of us here (I do know some on here who are nikon shooters, the heathens! Just kidding!) are Canon users. I wouldn't want to switch to nikon because I'd have to get new lenses, new flash, new ... bleh. Not worth the trouble when I'm perfectly happy with my camera system.

To the OP - you already have Nikon equipment. Why not stay nikon? Save yourself the headache of switching over to Canon, unless somehow, you've seen the light. :P

Yes, I have seen the light !!!

Mario

docmarioce
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2008 22:51 |  #10

docmarioce wrote in post #5431332 (external link)
Yes, I have seen the light !!!

I started my photography journey with an XTi and my experience was so good that I keep coming back to this forum more often than to Nikon forums and keep dreaming about the 5D but I can't make my mind, also, i know some Canon shutters will be willing to try Nikon and maybe someone will be willing to trade. In the meantime I'm trying to get some impressions about what you experienced photographers think. I like the combination 5D and 24-70 2.8 (the beast)+ 24-105L 4+ 70-200 2.8, I'm realizing that in the long run Canon lenses are cheaper and in a good body the IQ is insuperable. Although the D300 with a couple of similar lenses is a machine that deserves respect too.

Mario

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 29, 2008 23:09 |  #11

docmarioce wrote in post #5431358 (external link)
I started my photography journey with an XTi and my experience was so good that I keep coming back to this forum more often than to Nikon forums and keep dreaming about the 5D but I can't make my mind, also, i know some Canon shutters will be willing to try Nikon and maybe someone will be willing to trade. In the meantime I'm trying to get some impressions about what you experienced photographers think. I like the combination 5D and 24-70 2.8 (the beast)+ 24-105L 4+ 70-200 2.8, I'm realizing that in the long run Canon lenses are cheaper and in a good body the IQ is insuperable. Although the D300 with a couple of similar lenses is a machine that deserves respect too.

I say go for it, I don't see the obstacle of reselling your current gear to afford the 5D and the set of lens big enough to prevent you from reaching true satisfaction. The D300 may be a beast, but the 5D is the ringleader.
Better noise control, 35mm sensor, better image quality, greater depth of field and future lens line up is well worth the switch back. And by my experience Canon users tend to be more manly and good-looking and as the women shooters are also Maxim models. Weird huh, I read this statistic in some extremely factual magazine. No lie.

Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

ll ­ PaSt ­ ll
65 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2008 23:13 |  #12

docmarioce wrote in post #5431358 (external link)

Why not a D3? that thing looks like it rocks.

docmarioce
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 29, 2008 23:41 |  #13

ll PaSt ll wrote in post #5431445 (external link)
Why not a D3? that thing looks like it rocks.

That's a good question too.. Hmmm

Mario

sevans16
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 29, 2008 23:41 |  #14

I have the 5D and recently went on a wildlife photo workshop. I got to use others Nikon gear. including the D3 and D300. I would say for action/wildlife the D300 would have the advantage. I really liked the overlay histogram that covers the whole image on the screen unlike the little view we get on the 5D. But the 5D was not intended to be a sports action camera though. For portrait, landscape etc.. the 5D has the edge IMHO. The D3 is just a beast though. It is one fine camera granted I have not got my hands on any of the new 1D series bodies. Then you get the good ol' FF vs Crop thing. The D300 has better weather protection. It looks like you have Nikon gear already so I would not make the switch if I were you. Stick to one system. Cameras come and go. I am sure Canon will be releasing the 5D mkII or a 50D to one up Nikon. It is always the same old story.

www.777Photography.com (external link)
D850, D810, Tamron 15-30 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8E VR, 24-70 f2.8E VR, 300 f4 PF, 200-500 f5.6E VR, 500 f5.6E PF, Nikon 85 f1.8G
Gitzo 3540/5540LS, Markins M-20, RRS B2 LR II, Wimberly WH200 Gimbal Head, CS6, LR4, 3-Elinchrom Style RX sets, Eli Quadras

ll ­ PaSt ­ ll
65 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 30, 2008 00:34 as a reply to  @ sevans16's post |  #15

I love canon and can't wait for a killer FF for the price of a D300 :) and when that happens, only then I would ask this question of VS, but I think everyone will know what the answer to that will be by then ;) This site is a lot more informative than ni*** forums I've found too which got me sold on XTi, 40D, & a G9 and few lenses.
I can't wait for a new FF. (MK III Ds is way out of my Budget)
I'd still go D3, its so kool (at least for now).

but 5D MK II here I come ;) (when ever that happens)

sponsored links

9,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D or Nikon D300
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.