Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Apr 2008 (Tuesday) 00:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Florida Business questions

Mama ­ Tried
150 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 29, 2008 00:42 |  #1

Well I decided I need to get a license and have some questions about getting one in Florida. What do I need to do to get one? From what ive been reading it sounds like I need a federal EIN, a state EIN, and a license from every county I shoot and sell in. Is this right? seems like a lot. I will put it as a sole Proprietorship if that helps.

Body: Canon 50D
Lenses: Canon EF 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 28-135MM 1:3.5-5.6 IS USM, 50MM 1.8 II
Flash: 580 EX II
NotNormalPhotography.P​hotoreflect.com

sponsored links
Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 29, 2008 09:29 |  #2

A license for what?

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 29, 2008 10:38 |  #3

You really need to check with your local governments, rather than here.

There may also be a small business incubator or something similar in your area that can help with relevant advice.

In the end, you will probably need to talk with a local attorney and a local CPA who are both well versed in these matters.

In your question you are already mixing up the business license, federal tax ID (aka Employer Identification Number, which you may or may not need depending upon whether or not your business employs people), and business structure, which are all separate, but possibly related matters. You haven't mentioned fictitious name registration (or similar) or sales tax license (or similar), which are a couple other major considerations for a small business that sells things to the public.

Many of these requirements vary from city to city, county to county and state to state in terms of what's required and even what it's called. So, get local info that's meaningful and correct, to do it right and not end up with problems later.

In many localities, your physical place of doing business decides what you need in terms of certain licenses. You may go to another locale to shoot photos, but not need a license to do that. On the other hand, if you are actually directly selling in another locale, you may need a license, possibly a temporary one if only doing biz there briefly, and to charge, report and submit sales tax locally.

You might find some info on various local government websites, too, if they have them and are good about putting info up online.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Mama ­ Tried
THREAD ­ STARTER
150 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 30, 2008 11:34 |  #4

I asked on here because I thought someone might have gone threw it in florida and give some advice. Ive been browsing the government sites and they havent been very helpfull. I remember when I used to work for a trucking company we had our office in Orange county but had to have a license in every county we did jobs in.

Body: Canon 50D
Lenses: Canon EF 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 28-135MM 1:3.5-5.6 IS USM, 50MM 1.8 II
Flash: 580 EX II
NotNormalPhotography.P​hotoreflect.com

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 30, 2008 13:21 |  #5

Here in Bradenton, I had to register a federal EIN (this isn't necessary unless you intend to hire employees or incorporate), register a fictitious name with the state, pay a local business tax to the city, and register to collect sales tax. The "local business tax," however, varies from place to place. It's my understanding that usually a county will require some sort of tax and the city won't, but here it's the reverse.

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

shellti
48 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 30, 2008 21:06 |  #6

www.myflorida.com (external link)

You can get most all your answers there.

Shelly
http://www.shellshots.​com (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 02, 2008 07:32 as a reply to  @ shellti's post |  #7

How to start a business in Florida (external link)

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

sponsored links

1,035 views & 0 likes for this thread
Florida Business questions
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.