Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 30 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 13:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Street Performers: "We ask people to give us a dollar for taking our picture"

Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2008 16:14 |  #16

No one said they aren't allowed to do anything, they do it all day, every day. No one is trying to stop them. I'm just saying we don't have to give them money for taking their picture.

~Kat
Gear: continually growing and changing!!!!
http://kittygraphix.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/749345 (external link) http://myspace.com/kit​tygraphix (external link) ittygraphix@yahoo.com (external link)

sponsored links
BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Apr 30, 2008 16:16 |  #17

Moppie wrote in post #5435994 (external link)
So Street performers aren't allowed to do a little marketing or diversification?

So long as "No" is an acceptable answer, they're free to ask. However, they are in no way entitled to money from anyone who takes their photos or tapes their performance.

There's a guy who rides around the French Quarter with two large boa constrictors on his bicycle. I asked him if he'd mind if I took his picture. He said he charges people to take his picture. I said "The shot ain't worth a buck" and I walked away. It really wasn't worth a damn to take his picture. He wasn't doing anything but sitting on the seat of his bike with a snake on the handle bars and one on his shoulders. Some of these street "performers" are quite lazy.

If he was something worth photographing, I could still have taken the photo. My reply could be something like "It's nice to ask. Isn't it?"

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2008 16:21 as a reply to  @ BillsBayou's post |  #18

I guess I look at it differently...they are providing me with entertaining urban shots...what's a buck in the scope of things?

They certainly have the right to ask. And I believe the right to deny the shot (though I suppose in different areas that may not be true). In any case, if it provides a decent photo, I'll pay $1....I've certainly wasted more money on nonsense that doesn't help anyone .

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Apr 30, 2008 16:21 |  #19

BottomBracket wrote in post #5436083 (external link)
Here in NYC street performers and musicians are viewed as struggling artists. It is good form to give them a dollar or whatever change you have if you are pleased with their performance. After a hard day's work, weary commuters struggling to get home in the subway are awakened and refreshed by these performers, whose repertoire include classical violin, drumming empty cans to a primordial beat, crazy hip-hop/breakdancing routines, and everything in between. To me I view them as reincarnations of Orpheus (external link), as they calm the beasts that reside within each weary NYC commuter.

They are our friends.

I guess it's a cultural thing.

My view is, if you make a spectacle of yourself in public, the public doesn't owe you anything. If you don't make any money at it, you weren't worth it. If you WERE worth it and you're not making any money, you're not entitled to anything. Regardless of your efforts, skill, overhead costs, education, time, and so forth, you're doing something in a public place and everyone has equal opportunity to pass and do as they please within the confines of the law.

I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

Discov3ry
250 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 30, 2008 16:24 as a reply to  @ BillsBayou's post |  #20

Picture or it hasn't happened!

Haha, no really, can we see the pic please?

Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2008 16:25 |  #21

BottomBracket wrote in post #5436083 (external link)
Here in NYC street performers and musicians are viewed as struggling artists. It is good form to give them a dollar or whatever change you have if you are pleased with their performance. After a hard day's work, weary commuters struggling to get home in the subway are awakened and refreshed by these performers, whose repertoire include classical violin, drumming empty cans to a primordial beat, crazy hip-hop/breakdancing routines, and everything in between. To me I view them as reincarnations of Orpheus (external link), as they calm the beasts that reside within each weary NYC commuter.

They are our friends.

Maybe in NYC, but here in NOLA they just wanna know "Where ya got your shoes?" (this is a joke)

And yes there is a HUGE difference between the kind of street performers Bill is referring to and the musicians and artists that we all respect in any major city that work on the street. Bill is referring to the "Peacock" lady that is walking down Bourbon street who has no noticable talents except the fact that she woke up this morning without OD'ing last night and wants a dollar for us to take her picture.

~Kat
http://kittygraphix.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/749345 (external link) http://myspace.com/kit​tygraphix (external link) ittygraphix@yahoo.com (external link)

flipstyle72
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 30, 2008 16:31 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

oh yeah, that's happend to me. I went to take a shot of one guy playing a guitar and he quickly stopped when he saw me go to shoot. But then again, before I even went to shoot another couple of guys, I had put a tip in for the opportunity and they were very happy to oblige.

Moppie
14,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 30, 2008 16:32 |  #23

Kittygraphix wrote in post #5436144 (external link)
Bill is referring to the "Peacock" lady that is walking down Bourbon street who has no noticable talents except the fact that she woke up this morning without OD'ing last night and wants a dollar for us to take her picture.

If that is the case, then she is not a legtimate street performer, but still has the right to ask.

And no point is anyone required to give them a dollar, but there is a moral requirement to respect their privacy.
If their privacy happens to only cost a dollar, and there is a good photo in it, then it is a very cheap photo.
If you can't see a dollars worth of photo in them, then why waist your time pointing the camera at them to start with.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 30, 2008 16:36 |  #24

So you take their picture, put it on your website and then someone rips it off and uses it elsware, you feel pissed off?

Live with it is the repose of the street artist you took the picture of

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 30, 2008 16:36 |  #25

Discov3ry wrote in post #5436143 (external link)
Picture or it hasn't happened!

Haha, no really, can we see the pic please?

I owe you a picture. :)

Gear List

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 30, 2008 16:39 |  #26

Moppie wrote in post #5436188 (external link)
If that is the case, then she is not a legtimate street performer, but still has the right to ask.

And no point is anyone required to give them a dollar, but there is a moral requirement to respect their privacy.
If their privacy happens to only cost a dollar, and there is a good photo in it, then it is a very cheap photo.
If you can't see a dollars worth of photo in them, then why waist your time pointing the camera at them to start with.

If they make themselves up to be stared at, then there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. If they're just a guy on a bike with two snakes, I asked. He said he wanted a dollar for it, I made a counter offer and walked away.

Some shots are worth shooting without being a waste of time and without wanting to waste money in the effort.

Gear List

Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2008 16:43 |  #27

Moppie wrote in post #5436188 (external link)

If she is making a PUBLIC display of herself in the middle of Bourbon street than she is giving up privacy therefore I no longer have a moral obligation of respecting her privacy. SHE is making her "privacy" public and I don't need to pay her for it so she can buy another crack rock.

But again if she were a legitimate street performing artist.....that is another story:)

~Kat

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 30, 2008 16:44 |  #28

BillsBayou wrote in post #5436129 (external link)
I guess it's a cultural thing.

My view is, if you make a spectacle of yourself in public, the public doesn't owe you anything. If you don't make any money at it, you weren't worth it. If you WERE worth it and you're not making any money, you're not entitled to anything. Regardless of your efforts, skill, overhead costs, education, time, and so forth, you're doing something in a public place and everyone has equal opportunity to pass and do as they please within the confines of the law.

But aren't those street performers part of your culture? Do they not have a hand in making New Orleans more colorful? In your first post you declare this: "I'm local, go hustle the tourists," and walked on. I find this attitude kinda heartless, especially since you deemed that the scene was worthy of taking a photo.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 30, 2008 16:45 as a reply to  @ BillsBayou's post |  #29

If I am reasonably entertained, I wouldn't mind giving the "performer" some change or a dollar. However, I have a problem when they become pushy with the donations. They are in a public place "performing". It would be different if they were in some venue, having to pay to "perform" at that venue. But then, you would pay before entering also so...

I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't pressure you for the donation.

The thing about NYC is, yes there are tons of "struggling musicians" out there. In fact, there are no less than 3 where I get on the subway to go home. Really annoying too. Playing the same crap every friggin day burning my ears. same tune. Same pet phrases/licks. Zzzzzzz....I usually put on my iPod and call it a commute. Street performer or not, you've got to earn it. If you suck, then you ain't getting jack from me. And a lot of the performers in NYC perform on the street for a reason...b/c they suck. Sorry...that's the truth!:cool:

Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2008 16:51 |  #30

BottomBracket wrote in post #5436265 (external link)
But aren't those street performers part of your culture? Do they not have a hand in making New Orleans more colorful? In your first post you declare this: "I'm local, go hustle the tourists," and walked on. I find this attitude kinda heartless, especially since you deemed that the scene was worthy of taking a photo.

A turd on the floor could be worthy of taking a picture but it doesn't mean I should have to pay a dollar to take the picture.

At what point does "gimme a dollar for nothing" have a limit?

By the way and AGAIN I don't think Bill is referring to New Orleans popular jazz musicians and tap dancers on the streets which is what makes our city colorful. He is referring to people who have NO talent and are doing nothing but dressing unusual to get money from tourist who don't know any better. They are using the tourist and therefore adding to the dirt in the city which is NOT part of our culture or colorful city:)

~Kat

sponsored links

9,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
Street Performers: "We ask people to give us a dollar for taking our picture"
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.