Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Mar 2008 (Monday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby's lighting gear recommendations

MrChad
Goldmember
2,815 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 31, 2008 21:12 as a reply to  @ post 5194248 |  #31

Figured I might list a "MrChad" starter kit (don't confuse this with a Mr. T starter kit)...it's likely not as awesome as the Kelby kits, but this is what I have been using so far. And it's a tick more budget, at least in the ball park of a bunch of flash guns, light stands, and chicken wire.

Calumet Genesis 200 2 light kit $330
http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/CF0502K1/ (external link)

Calumet Heavy Duty Background system $159 on sale
http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/MF6095/ (external link)
(you will need a paper roll or muslin- approx. $45 for a 9' wide paper roll.)

Sekonic L-358 flash meter $259
http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/SE4052/ (external link)

<$750 out the door. The light kit was actually on sale for $316 last month.

The twin light kit includes umbrellas, some decent stands, sync cords, and of course the strobe heads. The background system is very nice. It even includes a great case for storing or traveling with the stands and cross bar. I store my light stands and umbrellas in a Bogen tripod bag (not included). Still looking for a way to store the strobe heads. I currently store them on a closet shelf when not in use.

I've included the flash meter because, if you don't have one you will want one to adjust the lights. You can use your LCD and histogram at first if need be, but this is more accurate and you will eventually desire one. Another nice thing about the twin lights is you can have the flash meter sync'd to one light and the camera sync'd to the other. This way you don't have to plug and un-plug your camera from the sync cable to check the light readings. Not as trick as Skyports or Pocket Wizards but hey...the cords come free in the box :)

The only other item I don't have yet listed is a reflector and odds are you will want one of those too.

If others would like, feel free to post your starter light kits. I call this a complete kit because as long as you have a DSLR with a kit lens in most cases you have everything you need to use this kit. If you don't have a PC-sync socket, or shoe adapter, on your camera you can fire the strobes from the on camera flash. The strobe heads have an optical light sensor for triggering if desired, and it has a setting for pre-flash systems like Canon E-TTL or Nikon i-TTL.

I kaNt sPeL...
[Gear List]

sponsored links
Photodawg1
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 31, 2008 21:30 |  #32

MrChad wrote in post #5234244 (external link)
Figured I might list a "MrChad" starter kit (don't confuse this with a Mr. T starter kit)...it's likely not as awesome as the Kelby kits, but this is what I have been using so far. And it's a tick more budget, at least in the ball park of a bunch of flash guns, light stands, and chicken wire.

Calumet Genesis 200 2 light kit $330
http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/CF0502K1/ (external link)

Calumet Heavy Duty Background system $159 on sale
http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/MF6095/ (external link)
(you will need a paper roll or muslin- approx. $45 for a 9' wide paper roll.)

Sekonic L-358 flash meter $259
http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/SE4052/ (external link)

<$750 out the door. The light kit was actually on sale for $316 last month.

The twin light kit includes umbrellas, some decent stands, sync cords, and of course the strobe heads. The background system is very nice. It even includes a great case for storing or traveling with the stands and cross bar. I store my light stands and umbrellas in a Bogen tripod bag (not included). Still looking for a way to store the strobe heads. I currently store them on a closet shelf when not in use.

I've included the flash meter because, if you don't have one you will want one to adjust the lights. You can use your LCD and histogram at first if need be, but this is more accurate and you will eventually desire one. Another nice thing about the twin lights is you can have the flash meter sync'd to one light and the camera sync'd to the other. This way you don't have to plug and un-plug your camera from the sync cable to check the light readings. Not as trick as Skyports or Pocket Wizards but hey...the cords come free in the box :)

The only other item I don't have yet listed is a reflector and odds are you will want one of those too.

If others would like, feel free to post your starter light kits. I call this a complete kit because as long as you have a DSLR with a kit lens in most cases you have everything you need to use this kit. If you don't have a PC-sync socket, or shoe adapter, on your camera you can fire the strobes from the on camera flash. The strobe heads have an optical light sensor for triggering if desired, and it has a setting for pre-flash systems like Canon E-TTL or Nikon i-TTL.

I like your setup..it almost mirrors mine, sans the 2nd 200 Genesis! That background and case is definitely the sexiest thing I have bought in the last 4 months! huge kudos to whoever designed it.

http://www.lindasiadys​.com (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 04, 2008 15:15 |  #33

Pretty cool stuff. Glad i read it.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 15, 2008 20:14 |  #34

damn...great thread, even if he is a noink super-fanboy. :)

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

Kadath
Right, Manage This Digit!
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 17, 2008 14:44 |  #35

Having used both Canon and Nikon systems, I have to agree with Scott that having the Commander Mode built into the cameras is a huge win for Nikon and a hell of a lot of fun. I cannot fathom for the life of me why Canon hasnt integrated this yet other than upselling the 580s and their commander modules.

Canon 20D, Nikon D300 & assorted stuff...
Kadath @ Flickr (external link) -- Hell, its a regular Dream-Quest... A "Digital American Walkabout" -- My Blog at Navesink.Net (external link)
Have you submitted shots to the official POTN Flickr Pool (external link) Lately?

tmonatr
Goldmember
1,585 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 25, 2008 05:46 |  #36

Before his death, i went to a Monte Zucker seminar in Atlanta and he also used and endorsed the Spiderlite 5's. He also said you could use the compact flourescent bulbs from Wal-mart or Lowes, instead of the daylight balanced bulbs, and just do a custom white balance.

Tim
Bartender - "So, you guys are dictionary salesmen."
Roy Munson - "You would be punctilious in assuming that."

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 25, 2008 06:48 |  #37

Kadath wrote in post #5349705 (external link)
Having used both Canon and Nikon systems, I have to agree with Scott that having the Commander Mode built into the cameras is a huge win for Nikon and a hell of a lot of fun. I cannot fathom for the life of me why Canon hasnt integrated this yet other than upselling the 580s and their commander modules.

Probably patent issues

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 25, 2008 07:01 |  #38

I have been collecting gear similar to this suggested. Just ordered another softbox and I also prefer using my flashes instead of lights.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Borderfox
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 28, 2008 04:42 |  #39

Many thanks for posting this

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

MisterPhoton
27 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 28, 2008 17:53 as a reply to  @ Borderfox's post |  #40

I'm a big Scott Kelby fan, and recently purchased the Scott Kelby Location Kit from B&H when they were running a discount for NAPP members (about $120 off the listed price). Now I just need those blasted Cactus triggers to get here from Hong Kong...

http://mattlindell.com​/ (external link) - a work in progress

sroeben
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 01, 2008 16:20 as a reply to  @ post 5101804 |  #41

Great stuff! Thanks for posting it. Hey, while we're on his site, anyone know how he's activating that flash he's hand-holding?

http://www.scottkelby.​com …08/archives/112​4#comments (external link)

I guess it could be a slave, but since there's no flash on the camera, that's not it. Do certain cameras have a means of activating that off-camera flash...maybe with infrared? I have a Canon 40D and would love to be able to do that!

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 01, 2008 17:33 |  #42

sroeben wrote in post #5442394 (external link)
Great stuff! Thanks for posting it. Hey, while we're on his site, anyone know how he's activating that flash he's hand-holding?

http://www.scottkelby.​com …08/archives/112​4#comments (external link)

I guess it could be a slave, but since there's no flash on the camera, that's not it. Do certain cameras have a means of activating that off-camera flash...maybe with infrared? I have a Canon 40D and would love to be able to do that!

Certain Nikon cameras can fire certain Nikon flashes without the need for a master flash or STE-2 type of device mounted on the camera. Sure would be nice if Canon would do this also, at least on the higher end models.

I am not familiar with the Nikon system, just know it exists basically.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

May 05, 2008 11:17 |  #43

DDCSD wrote in post #5442825 (external link)
Certain Nikon cameras can fire certain Nikon flashes without the need for a master flash or STE-2 type of device mounted on the camera. Sure would be nice if Canon would do this also, at least on the higher end models.

I am not familiar with the Nikon system, just know it exists basically.

Something seems to be getting lost in the translation with the differences in the two systems. When you go to Nikon's "PRO" camera, you have to have the external module as well. When you say you wish Canon would do this for their higher end models.. you should realize that Nikon doesn't do it on their high end models either. I'm speaking of the D3 and D2X, and so on.

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

DavidPhoto
777 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 05, 2008 11:25 |  #44

no commander mode in the D3 or D2x? Wow.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 05, 2008 13:14 |  #45

forkball wrote in post #5464266 (external link)
Something seems to be getting lost in the translation with the differences in the two systems. When you go to Nikon's "PRO" camera, you have to have the external module as well. When you say you wish Canon would do this for their higher end models.. you should realize that Nikon doesn't do it on their high end models either. I'm speaking of the D3 and D2X, and so on.

Interesting. That's why I put up the disclaimer of knowing nothing about the system. :lol: Thank you for the clarification.

But that is how he is firing the flash in the photo that sroeben was asking about though, correct?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links

52,888 views & 1 like for this thread
Scott Kelby's lighting gear recommendations
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.