Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Apr 2008 (Tuesday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D or Nikon D300

docmarioce
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 01, 2008 07:02 |  #46

mzivtins wrote in post #5439252 (external link)
sorry i was harsh to say stupid question.

theres only one thing to say tho... if you want full frame, its the 5d, if you want crop, its the d300... it is that simple when you compare these two cameras

Apology accepted. No hard feelings. Wish you a nice day.

Mario
Canon T2i |17-40 4L |70-300 IS |Sigma 50 2.8 Macro

sponsored links
rumble
184 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2008 09:05 as a reply to  @ docmarioce's post |  #47

Hey Docmarioce,

I have my 5D since yesterday. I've been using a Nikon D70 before that.
If you're interested in my appreciation of the 5D until now , just let me know.
Notice that my main basis for comparison in practice is the D70, not the D300.
But all Nikons are Nikons I guess.

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 01, 2008 09:07 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

The D70 and D300 are quite different beasts.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

May 01, 2008 09:47 |  #49

Absolutely. What if the smaller FX body is not a D300 but a D90 type ? Wouldn't a body that is between the D300 and the possible D90 in build and features with a full frame be a better option as a 5D competitor for about 2500$ ?

My website (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

BDM
414 posts
Joined Jan 2004

May 03, 2008 19:58 |  #50

docmarioce wrote in post #5430930 (external link)
Any body has had or tried both cameras? What you think about about them?

Thanks

Well, here we go again. They are both great cameras and each has its strong points. That said, I will admit that I have a 1Dmk II and a newly purchased Nikon D3. Yes, I know it is a bit different than a D300 but it does share many characteristics.

The main reason I added the D3 is the large collection of legacy Nikon lenses which I wanted to use again. They are compatible with the D3, although, because they do not have internal chips, I do lose quite a few features that would be available with the current lenses.

Perhaps it does come down to that. Do you already have a number of lenses for either system? Perhaps you should consider staying with the system in which you are already invested. Until the D300 and the D3 I wasn't very impressed with the Nikon camera line, particularly the professional bodies. But frankly, the D3 is something else. And it does offer full frame, among other things. Is it worth going in that direction? Only you can determine that. But your current lens inventory should be a consideration along with how you like the feel and user interface of both cameras. They are different.

Bruce

ps249
420 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 03, 2008 23:09 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

5D 5D 5D 5D 5D

(get it)

40D
50 f/1.8 | 28-135 IS |
MAUREEN SOUZA FOR PRESIDENT!

kobe629
694 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 03, 2008 23:38 |  #52

I've tried both they are both nice cameras but I prefer the IQ and high iso of the 5d. But also I prefer FF over a 1.5 crop. But for stop action I'll take the d300 it has better AF, build and lcd.

Nikon

ll ­ PaSt ­ ll
65 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 08, 2008 00:51 as a reply to  @ kobe629's post |  #53

so you decide on one yet? thinking about a d3 yet or got it already? or still stuck between the other 2? maybe you'd like to wait for the new 5d mk II thats never coming out like me :)

docmarioce
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 08, 2008 06:57 |  #54

ll PaSt ll wrote in post #5482951 (external link)
so you decide on one yet? thinking about a d3 yet or got it already? or still stuck between the other 2? maybe you'd like to wait for the new 5d mk II thats never coming out like me :)

I'm getting used to the handling of my D300 and don't know if the 5D is going to make me happy in regards of handling and features since I haven't used it so I'm a little concerned about switching at once, also, is the 5D as fast as my D300 in terms of bottons and commands??? To be honest I love the Xpeed technology in my camera. I think I need to spend a whole weekend with a 5D to try, I've always been fascinated with the IQ that people says it has. I also checked the D3 and for what I do I don't really need it right now. I'm a casual shooter and in any way a professional photographer. I guess I will try a 5D as soon as I have a chance and will decide from there.

Thabk you all for so many advices. I always learn a lot from you guys.

Mario

Mario
Canon T2i |17-40 4L |70-300 IS |Sigma 50 2.8 Macro

GerBee
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 08, 2008 07:52 |  #55

Different cameras, both occupy a niche all to themselves, they have no competition.

The D300 would be higher up the Nikon ladder than the 5D and is a fully professional model with weather sealing etc. The 5D is a budget FF fine quality camera that sacrifices build quality, weather sealing and performance to achieve its design goals. A 1DSxx full professional model is available [for a higher price] so these comments are not criticisms.

If you had a bag of Canon EF lenses then it's a grand camera to add.

ll ­ PaSt ­ ll
65 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 08, 2008 09:06 |  #56

docmarioce wrote in post #5483896 (external link)
I'm getting used to the handling of my D300 and don't know if the 5D is going to make me happy in regards of handling and features since I haven't used it so I'm a little concerned about switching at once, also, is the 5D as fast as my D300 in terms of bottons and commands??? To be honest I love the Xpeed technology in my camera. I think I need to spend a whole weekend with a 5D to try, I've always been fascinated with the IQ that people says it has. I also checked the D3 and for what I do I don't really need it right now. I'm a casual shooter and in any way a professional photographer. I guess I will try a 5D as soon as I have a chance and will decide from there.

Thabk you all for so many advices. I always learn a lot from you guys.

Mario

I know that d300 would make me happy, it looks like ur pretty much set.
nice....:D

Dan ­ Lorth
530 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 10, 2008 12:55 |  #57

AdamJL wrote in post #5435293 (external link)
Because you said that Nikons are better than what they used to be especially the D3
Then you said you have no experience of the D3!! :lol:
So.. how do you know??

because ive seen the results from a d1x. ive seen the results from a d2x and ive seen the results from a d3. give me a break fanboy.

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

May 10, 2008 21:23 |  #58

Fanboy? What the hell.. Do you SEE the smilie? I was laughing. It's all in jest.

Get humour.

Gear

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

May 10, 2008 21:38 |  #59

humour is good! :)

And yes, I'd take the 5D over any Nikon except the D3. But I'm 5D addicted!

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

May 11, 2008 00:44 |  #60

If I had already bought into the Nikon system and had your equipment I think I would consider selling the D300 and buying a D3. I don't know if that would cost you much more than starting all over again with Canon equipment. Unless you are unhappy with your Nikon equipment I don't see any reason to start all over again.

Joe
5DIII

sponsored links

9,739 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D or Nikon D300
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.