Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 May 2008 (Friday) 15:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bounce Flash vs. Frontal Flash

Dario ­ D.
221 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 09, 2008 15:28 |  #1

Hi all. I threw together this comparison image for my cousin (using his beautiful baby) showing how frontal flash compares with bounce flash.

Thought I'd toss it up here as well, before it heads for the recycle bin (which would be the depths of my photography folders, from which things never return).

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

- I await the day when every point-and-shoot has an auto wall-detect feature that forces the flash to point at nearby bounce surfaces (instead of right in everyone's face), so that photography noobs might actually get nice pictures more often. :( It's not too far off, but still... not there yet.

My site (external link) | GIMP, the free Photoshop clone (external link) | Bokeh (background blur) (external link)

sponsored links
riyazi
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 09, 2008 16:31 |  #2

Great example of how bounced flash can work wonders

Correct me if I am wrong but it is a great example of the limitations of bounce flash as well - in this case shadowed eyes - the 1st pic has beautiful vivid blue eyes whereas in the 2nd pic the eyes are in shadow and give a feeling of "sleep" / dark rings around the eyes. To me in the 1st pic the baby looks fresh, alert and excited whereas the 2nd pic, he looks tired - mainly due to the eyes

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

Dario ­ D.
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 09, 2008 17:24 |  #3

No, you're absolutely right, but it also has a lot to do with WHERE you are bouncing the light. Example: If you bounce to your sides, or behind you, it will come out entirely different.

What I would do, however, is just lighten the eyes in Photoshop (a 3 click operation - just grab a brush with Linear Dodge, make sure you select the color that you want to lighten with, then paint over the eyes to reverse the shadows). It's essentially the same as spending half an hour walking in circles with your camera, trying to figure out how to get the eyes to come out naturally (which the baby won't last through), simplified into a several-second operation.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

It's actually a more accurate representation of what the baby really looks like (also how she looks with lighting coming from the front (umbrellas)):

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My site (external link) | GIMP, the free Photoshop clone (external link) | Bokeh (background blur) (external link)

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 09, 2008 17:30 |  #4

Evil?

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 09, 2008 19:01 |  #5

Hmm, EXIF data shows a Nikon D80 taking them there pics, say it aint so...

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

Mick_I
669 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 09, 2008 20:25 |  #6

flyingwolf wrote in post #5494084 (external link)
Hmm, EXIF data shows a Nikon D80 taking them there pics, say it aint so...

Oh noes! We hai's a D80 here:D

Mick Motor (external link)Tumblr (external link)Twitter (external link)Model Mayhem (external link)https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10691007#po​st10691007

Dario ­ D.
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 10, 2008 03:29 |  #7

lol... indeed I do. Canon's EOS flash system (using speedlites) is very similar to Nikon's CLS (Creative Lighting System). But we don't have a giant, populated, sprawling Nikon Digital Photography Forums, that I know of. :( I'm brand-blind when I'm here.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 10, 2008 03:35 |  #8

Dario D. wrote in post #5496043 (external link)
we don't have a giant, populated, sprawling Nikon Digital Photography Forums

Nikonians.org. You'll need to invest in a 2nd set of eyes though. It breaks pretty much every rule of web design.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Mick_I
669 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 10, 2008 03:44 |  #9

cdifoto wrote in post #5496055 (external link)
Nikonians.org. You'll need to invest in a 2nd set of eyes though. It breaks pretty much every rule of web design.

OMFG lol...:D

Mick Motor (external link)Tumblr (external link)Twitter (external link)Model Mayhem (external link)https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10691007#po​st10691007

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2008 07:45 as a reply to  @ Mick_I's post |  #10

Besides bouncing up, use something to throw some light forward in the bounce and there you have the eye coverage, no need for photoshop.

Dario ­ D.
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 12, 2008 07:13 |  #11

Shooting wrote in post #5496530 (external link)
Besides bouncing up, use something to throw some light forward in the bounce and there you have the eye coverage

Indeed, I could try a rear bounce (something like a 4 or 5 o'clock bounce against whatever's behind me and just to the side).

Umbrellas (and windows) work wonders too, but you don't exactly want to haul brollies everywhere people happen to be... and hauling windows didn't work, last time I tried. :(

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

May 12, 2008 09:07 |  #12

cdifoto wrote in post #5496055 (external link)

I'll second that notion! It's a hideous site that makes you wonder about the creative tastes of those behind it. It looks very much patched together. It's like a badguy's vehicle from a Mad Max movie --- leftover pieces of whatever was available, tacked on by various people.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

sponsored links

4,833 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bounce Flash vs. Frontal Flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.