Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 May 2008 (Saturday) 21:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Bag for Camera & Gun - Wait, hear me out!

j0sh_dc5
168 posts
Joined May 2008

May 13, 2008 11:52 |  #46

no help from me, as i carry mine on my hip. i feel where your coming from though, i have been out shooting several times and have that feeling like u could be targeted by the bad guys.

http://forums.clubrsx.​com …?p=19745755&pos​tcount=143 (external link)

KirkHMB
677 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 13, 2008 16:19 |  #47

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I don't own a gun, but the tommy's bag looks like a great solution to another problem I have to carry. ( I frequently shop at Cabela's and repurpose their hunting stuff into photography, car repair, camping etc all the time.)

shooting club VB and club soccer, hoping to get back to landscape work soon.

Gear List

DuaneJ
153 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2008 16:32 |  #48

If you're ever in a situation where you need your gun, you are definitely going to want it where you reach for it by habit. Stopping to wonder where it is may be the last thing you do and that would be unfortunate.

When I was in my academy days in law enforcement, we would do nothing but draw, reholster and secure, draw and reholster and secure, over and over to make it a habit. I would do the same thing with off-duty concealed carry.

Numerous times I would be in a situation and realize my weapon was in my hand and ready and not even remember drawing it.

Just my 2 cents.

Zonieart
602 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 14, 2008 01:13 |  #49

I have a CC permit also. Quite often when I'm in an area where I'm by myself and there is the potential for human or wildlife predators, I carry a small semi-auto. However, I have to agree with TheGaffer. If someone grabs your bag, you don't want them to get your firearm. You're probably much better off to carry your weapon on your body.

Retired and Loving it!

hastur
167 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 14, 2008 13:56 |  #50

Skip Souza wrote in post #5502773 (external link)
A camera in a gun pack. What an elegant solution.

I occasionally carry my Glock 23 in a Galco A2 similar to the current Galco Elite Waistpack (external link). It will easily hold a P&S in a separate section.
The down side is that as my brother-in-law observes, to those on the job or pro crooks it fairly screams GUN and you really want to advertise the fact.

Keep it on your person or safely secured at home. I do not want my grandson looking in my camera bag and stumbling across Bompi's tools for serious social work thinking it is some kind of toy.

I try to "dress the part" when I carry in a belt pack, i.e. not with jeans and/or while wearing a jacket. It fits in great with a t-shirt and athletic shorts.

To the OP, you probably won't end up with just one solution. You'll need to be flexible.

Good Luck

Rob

How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants. - Frank (Henry Fonda) in Once Upon a Time in the West.
20D, 17-55, 35-70 f/3.5-4.5, 50 f1.8, 85 f/1.8, 430EX

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

May 14, 2008 18:10 |  #51

hastur wrote in post #5523740 (external link)
To the OP, you probably won't end up with just one solution. You'll need to be flexible.

Good Luck

Rob

I think I'm finding that will be the case, as I haven't found anything that is what I've been looking for.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

b1gdaddy
348 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 17, 2008 11:13 |  #52

wacjac wrote in post #5513934 (external link)
..... threads like this make me kind of glad I live in a land where the gun is illegal.

Still plenty on the streets though eh? :(

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 17, 2008 11:16 |  #53

BigBlueDodge wrote in post #5525485 (external link)
I think I'm finding that will be the case, as I haven't found anything that is what I've been looking for.

Just an excuse to buy the Airweight Scandium Smith snubby! It is SUCH a light gun, put it in your pocket and you'll forget it's there...almost.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 17, 2008 11:18 |  #54

I strongly recommend that Tom (Belmondo) never stores a firearm with his camera equipment as he will be filling out more than insurance claim forms when he next leaves his kit in the desert.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 17, 2008 11:23 |  #55

neil_r wrote in post #5542757 (external link)
I strongly recommend that Tom (Belmondo) never stores a firearm with his camera equipment as he will be filling out more than insurance claim forms when he next leaves his kit in the desert.

Good one. :) Tom would mix up his tripod with the weapon anyway. :) love you, Tom!

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 17, 2008 11:25 |  #56

belmondo wrote in post #5514110 (external link)
we might want to discuss why supposedly enlightened people actually drink tea with milk in it. Ugh. Disgusting.

now you had to go and bring up tea, remember the last time you lot started an argument about tea you lost the opportunity to remain part of the empire :-)

To get back on topic,

I have a firearm license in the UK, but we have no provision at all for the possession of hand guns. Were I to combine the same bag for a rifle and a camera it would be a very strange bag indeed :-)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 17, 2008 11:53 |  #57

neil_r wrote in post #5542783 (external link)
now you had to go and bring up tea, remember the last time you lot started an argument about tea you lost the opportunity to remain part of the empire :-)

To get back on topic,

I have a firearm license in the UK, but we have no provision at all for the possession of hand guns. Were I to combine the same bag for a rifle and a camera it would be a very strange bag indeed :-)

Thank you , Neil.:lol:

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

Crewzer
111 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 12, 2008 05:25 |  #58

Tamrac shoulder bag with the concealeable belt. I added a nylon holster for my full size firearm if I am going to be somewhere that I might print. I also carry a small backup gun in my front pocket so that I can protect my big gun. Hope this helps

BucketMan
937 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 12, 2008 10:57 |  #59

Skip Souza wrote in post #5500471 (external link)
While all these may provide a workable solution I would still advocate a system of carrying so that your weapon is on your person at all times. It is much safer that way for you and those around you.

If you ever need it and don't have it you will never need it again.

+1

Carry it on your person. If you plan on carrying it, carry it on you, if you unholster it, plan on shooting it, period.

| 70D | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickr (external link)

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 12, 2008 12:17 as a reply to  @ BucketMan's post |  #60

Obviously all this advice is meaningless if carrying a weapon in your camera bag or on your person is against the law where you will be doing so. Check with the appropriate law enforcement agencies before even thinking about it.

I know this has probably been said before, but the legal ramifications could be very serious.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

17,833 views & 0 likes for this thread.
Bag for Camera & Gun - Wait, hear me out!
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.