Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 May 2008 (Friday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scanning 35mm slides

jag182
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 16, 2008 11:35 |  #1

i've recently aquired a bunch of 35mm family slides (1970's stuff). a local shop will convert them to a electronic copy for $1.50 each. with th amount of slides i have, i was wondering if i'd be better off buying a scanner that takes the 35mm slides. can anyone give me some advise here? any product suggestions and can you give me some kind of idea of their quality after scanned?

thanks,

jeff g.

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 16, 2008 11:55 |  #2

Get a Nikon Coolscan IV or V off e-bay.
Very nice scans, 2900 and 4000 dpi respectively.

Here's a review with a 100% crop of a scan (external link).

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 16, 2008 22:17 |  #3

I made a duplicator that works fairly well. Do you Cobble? (Slide duplicator)
I've used the Nikon Coolscan & the quality is a higher resolution file that looks pretty good.

The cheapest solution seems to be these guys:
Scancafe.com -- negative & slide scanning service

35mm slides->digital. need scanner recommendations

http://www.scandigital​.com (external link) 888-333-2808

http://www.scanmyphoto​s.com (external link) 949-474-7654

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 16, 2008 22:53 |  #4

my wife just had this same thing done here in a local camera shop, approx 325 slides. It ended up costing about $290 total.

Costco will also do it, and as long as you just want them on CD (rather than DVD) they will do it locally. They would have been a bit less expensive than the camera shop, but my wife doesn't like going into Costco.

My Gear and Stuff :: My Zenfolio Gallery (external link) :: My Flickr (external link) :: http://photos.kodanja.​net (external link)

Bodog
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Joined Feb 2004

May 17, 2008 00:24 |  #5

Might want to check this out: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=503431

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 17, 2008 09:44 |  #6

Good link, Jim! But about 2 posts too late? :D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Bodog
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Joined Feb 2004

May 17, 2008 14:29 |  #7

That's odd. Rene's post was the last one showing when I posted?!? ( now up to 1010 he smirks to himself) ;>;)

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 17, 2008 16:14 |  #8

It depends on how many slides you've got to scan and how long you're prepared to spend scanning them in. But I'd second going for a used scanner off ebay.

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago. I had a load of slides and negatives, some of them over 40 years old. I bought a Minolta film scanner and spent quite a few months scanning them in (as and when I felt like it). I then sold the scanner for £20 more than I'd paid for it. So if you're not in a rush for them then it's likely to cost you very little. If you want them straight away, then get them done commercially, but expect to pay.

BiLL

sabianq
292 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 05, 2010 10:49 as a reply to  @ Bill Roberts's post |  #9

so i came to wisconsin to visit my grandmother 0f 94 years..
she is a hobbiest photographer and started shooting with a mediumformat bellows camera back in the 20's then moved to 35mm in the early 50's

needless to say, i have uncovered more than 6000 slides stored away..

i would love to get these digitized.. does anybody have an idea if there is an easy and quick way to do this?

i imagine a machine that would let you feed in stacks of slides and it would run them over a scanner and spit them back out the otherside..

thanks
:)

Enjoy the Silence, it does not come very often...
Brian Larson
Datsbrian@Gmail.com (external link)
(Creative Solutions & Paradox pix) (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 05, 2010 13:27 |  #10

I don't even think they make commercial units that do that. At least nothing that would put out any level of acceptable quality.

I had some negative film I needed scanning quite a few years ago and had it done at a camera store that offered scanning services. Results were horrifically crap. Beside the low scanning rate (2400, if I recall) , there was dust etc..... on the scans. After checking around what a good quality scan would cost, it made far more sense to buy a scanner.

I ended up buying a Canon 4000 along with Vuescan and doing it myself, including stuff I had shot since I was about 8 years old.....so more than a few decades worth of film/slides. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time scanning. I'll say it again, A LOT OF TIME.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sabianq
292 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 05, 2010 22:29 |  #11

hmmm..
thanks..
you know if somebody could come up with a way to feed the slides into a holder with a backlight and make use of a1Dmk4 5D or 7D shooting continously, filling the frame, i bet you could do slides pretty quickly with great results..

the only issue is feeding the slides into a holder as fast as the camera can take the picture...

hmmm,, yea..

Enjoy the Silence, it does not come very often...
Brian Larson
Datsbrian@Gmail.com (external link)
(Creative Solutions & Paradox pix) (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2010 13:23 |  #12

Pick one: http://www.epinions.co​m …arch_string_~fi​lm%20slide (external link)

With a Nikon Coolscan IV (external link) or Coolscan V, you can automatically scan negative strips or, with a Coolscan 4000 or 5000 and an additional module (external link), scan up to 50 mounted slides automatically.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 06, 2010 16:18 |  #13

The Nikons seem to be perpetually unavailable new so I'm wondering if they're still making them. Another option is to send them out to a service such as ScanCafe. I believe they proof them for you first and you have the option of rejecting up to 50% of them before deciding. That way you're not paying to scan the duds.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2010 17:23 |  #14

Bought my Coolscan V (new) via e-bay IIRC.
Very nice scanner.

Scanned a bunch of negatives with it for an exposition. I agree with bohdank: It takes a lot of time: Almost impossible to judge sharpness for instance without a (scan) preview.
Slides are less of a problem in that regard.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,944 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 07, 2010 14:25 |  #15

As René says, it'll take a LOT of time.

The first question might be "how high quality do I need?"

Scanning is the only way to get top quality images from slides, but if you want to do it fast there is another way.

Set up a carousel slide projector, set up your camera on a tripod, project and shoot.

This may produce a usable digital image. Only way to find out is to try it.

This method is what a local lab used about 10 years ago to convert a friend's 35mm slides to video tape. Fair quality, except for the slides they put in upside down. :rolleyes:

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

sponsored links

5,001 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scanning 35mm slides
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.