Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 May 2008 (Monday) 21:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

macbook pro

anorman
110 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 19, 2008 21:35 |  #1

I am finally making the switch. I ordered my macbook pro today. Can anyone tell me the loves and hates of it

Canon EOS Mark IIds, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5, Canon 75-300 4-5.6, Sigma 28-70 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Sigma 17-35 2.8

www.sweetdreamphotos.c​om (external link)
www.sweetdreamphotos.b​logspot.com (external link)

sponsored links
slava-slavik
241 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 19, 2008 22:16 |  #2

I'd rather get a new lens than a new MacBook. It's twice as much as the same configuration of new notebook with Windows.

I understand that photographers prefer Mac. Well, I feel like an old school...
:)

Slava Slavik, wedding and portrait photographer
Honolulu, HI
Slava Slavik Photography (external link)

jakegatchell
75 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 19, 2008 22:55 |  #3

I switched a few years ago and had a G3 iMac. Finally about 10 months ago I bought a MacBook Pro. And I absolutely love it. I've never had one problem with it. If I had a windows machine I would have had all kinds of problems now (I've had windows pc's before). I think if you are open to learning a new OS you will do fine.

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 19, 2008 23:12 |  #4

Learning mac OS is easy, you will love it. Not much to hate about them. My advice is to make a clean break from windoze, many software manufacturers will change your license to mac. Bringing windoze crap to a mac is somewhat like getting married to a beautiful new wife and then having your ex over for dinner every night.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

anorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
110 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 19, 2008 23:37 |  #5

I had an alien ware laptop and in the last year crashed two hard drives gave in bought a Sony and I like it ok but just can't seem to keep up all the time seems tempermental. I am also attending college and one of the first things they asked was if I was opposed to ever using a mac so I took the jump

Canon EOS Mark IIds, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5, Canon 75-300 4-5.6, Sigma 28-70 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Sigma 17-35 2.8

anorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
110 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 19, 2008 23:39 |  #6

the only program I have read bad reviews on so far is the office mac 08. I am so excited I just hope it gets here before Friday so I can take work with me this weekend

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 20, 2008 00:27 |  #7

The only people I have ever known to resist the move to mac are the people looking to steal software for their PCs.
I see a lot of people complain about the prices too, but by the time you get a similar configuration from a reputable manufacturer you will pay about the same for a Mac or a PC. Apple just doesn't make any really low end machines.
Mine is also awesome for cleaning all of the viruses off of people's thumb drives before they go into one of our work computers :)

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

jonstewart
44 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2008 02:22 |  #8

The only reason I bought the MBP was the screen. The OS is no better than Windows, and is absolutely atrocious at cross platform connectivity, which is a complete pain when everybody uses Windows Server, with the odd sprinkling of Linux servers.

I have *never* had anywhere near as many problems with *any* PC than I have had with Apple (I also have a MacPro, but it runs Vista as primary OS); and with Apple, if there is a problem, you're faced with dumb silence for a month or two while they attempt to fix things; what a joke.

For instance, about 1/3 of the time, my MBP won't wake up from sleep, or sits for 15+ minutes doing nothing. Great when you pull it out in front of a client and it just 'doesn't work (unlike the ads). Everything's up to date, software wise.

The integration between the software and hardware on the MBP is very nice, so I decided to keep OSX as the primary OS, and run vista in parallels, for all the things I need to do that there simply isn't software to do in OSX.

All in all, beautifully made (in China) machine, but the OS has a long way to go. APple need to stop nannying and let us do things the way we want to.

PS This idea that the only people who resist switching to Macs because they're using pirated software is utter BS. I think every piece of Mac software has been pirated also!

Hope this helps! :-)

jpvaz
407 posts
Joined May 2006

May 20, 2008 04:36 |  #9

jonstewart wrote in post #5558914 (external link)
...and is absolutely atrocious at cross platform connectivity, which is a complete pain when everybody uses Windows Server, with the odd sprinkling of Linux servers...

?!? never had a problem with that...

I use a 17" macbook pro from work and have a 15" macbook pro as my personal computer... i run OSX as my main system, then run a copy of the company's server using VMWare and 2 windows clients using VMWare as well to test updates before doing them on the actual server... never had 1 single problem with that... i also have my macbook connected to the company's server wich is running windows 2008 server, with ftp server, exchange server, proxy server, dns, http server, sql server, print server, file sharing and a couple other services... never had 1 single problem about "cross platform connectivity"....

Stocky -> The only people I have ever known to resist the move to mac are the people looking to steal software for their PCs.

Exactly the same thing as OSX, you can find just about any application or game for Mac as easily as you can for windows.

The only people that o know that have resisted the move to mac are people that can't afford a Mac Pro and are hardcore gamers, since a good gaming PC is still cheaper then a Mac Pro and 99% of the games don't take advantage of the Mac Pro's dual processor capability...

I'll post a couple of links later with some very good info for switchers.

João Vaz - = P O R T U G A L = - (external link)
Gear List (Last Update - 15/04/2008)
My Web Site (external link)http://www.pbase.com/j​pvaz (external link)

a_kraker99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 20, 2008 08:30 |  #10

I dont get the big hype about Macs.... I build my own PC's though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Andrew Kraker
Marc Photography (external link)
Portfolio Site (external link)
Blog (external link)

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 20, 2008 08:35 |  #11

jonstewart wrote in post #5558914 (external link)
The only reason I bought the MBP was the screen. The OS is no better than Windows, and is absolutely atrocious at cross platform connectivity, which is a complete pain when everybody uses Windows Server, with the odd sprinkling of Linux servers.

I have *never* had anywhere near as many problems with *any* PC than I have had with Apple (I also have a MacPro, but it runs Vista as primary OS); and with Apple, if there is a problem, you're faced with dumb silence for a month or two while they attempt to fix things; what a joke.

For instance, about 1/3 of the time, my MBP won't wake up from sleep, or sits for 15+ minutes doing nothing. Great when you pull it out in front of a client and it just 'doesn't work (unlike the ads). Everything's up to date, software wise.

The integration between the software and hardware on the MBP is very nice, so I decided to keep OSX as the primary OS, and run vista in parallels, for all the things I need to do that there simply isn't software to do in OSX.

All in all, beautifully made (in China) machine, but the OS has a long way to go. APple need to stop nannying and let us do things the way we want to.

PS This idea that the only people who resist switching to Macs because they're using pirated software is utter BS. I think every piece of Mac software has been pirated also!

Hope this helps! :-)

Get rid of vista on the machine and you might see a change. I use windows servers at work and at home and I have no problems connecting to them. In fact, all I have to do is browse for connect servers and up pops a list. Click of a button and I am connected. Cant say the same for setting up a PC to connect... I think your set up is wrong, and its probably on your server end. Again, your waking up issues are most likely due to the fact you are running dual OS's.

Ont he pirating software remark, your right...its just the software for mac is harder to find.

How are viruses treating you on the PC? One thing I am glad I never have to worry about. Your choice of virus software can also contribute to sluggishness of the machine. If you have Nortons, dump it (On the the mac).

All OS's can be improved, but Leopard is light years ahead of Vista...cant really argue with that.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 20, 2008 08:38 |  #12

a_kraker99 wrote in post #5560000 (external link)
I dont get the big hype about Macs.... I build my own PC's though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Different tools for different jobs...thats all it is... Some people like photoshop, others like paint shop pro...

What most people dont understand is that comparing PC's to Macs is that people tend to compare a $500 PC machine to a $2500 mac... its apples to oranges. By the time the average consumer upgrades everything to similar specs, they are looking at comparable price lines...

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

jonstewart
44 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2008 09:03 |  #13

cory1848 wrote in post #5560023 (external link)
In fact, all I have to do is browse for connect servers and up pops a list. Click of a button and I am connected.

How are viruses treating you on the PC? One thing I am glad I never have to worry about. Your choice of virus software can also contribute to sluggishness of the machine.

All OS's can be improved, but Leopard is light years ahead of Vista...cant really argue with that.

Thank you for making my point about having to browse for server and connect. There's no way of maintaining a permanent connection to server resources, offline and online, without having to reconnect when you sleep. It's laughable; how hard would it be to do that? Even the crappest version of windows can do that! I particularly hate it when you launch something like dreamweaver in OSX, and it just whines that it can't find the resource (on the server) and you have to manually connect. What a pain.

Never have a problem with viruses on PC's. If you did, then you haven't the right AV software installed. Norton? You think I'm some ignorant buffoon? NOD32 is slick and small.

Leopard light years sahead of Vista? Oh, I think I can argue about that, if I could be bothered. It's not the dual OS's that cause the wakeup problem. I had the same thing with only OSX installed. So much for that theory.

Obviously Apple is your religion. I consider myself more of a free thinker :-)

Jon

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 20, 2008 10:01 |  #14

jonstewart wrote in post #5560177 (external link)
Obviously Apple is your religion. I consider myself more of a free thinker :-)

Jon

hmmm.....not sure about the free thinker....pretty opinionated.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

donysy
151 posts
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2008 10:06 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #15

at first, you will be very unfamiliar (if this is your first mac), after that you will forget your windows :D .. enjoy your macbook pro.. (don't forget to upgrade your memory to 4 GB :D )

Visit My Galleries (external link)

sponsored links

11,901 views & 0 likes for this thread
macbook pro
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.