Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 May 2008 (Sunday) 16:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggest a Camera Bag (Bicycle Messenger Style)

woloi
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 19, 2008 15:02 |  #16

sjafari wrote in post #5554274 (external link)
I have what I feel is a perfect setup.. I own a LowePro DryZone Rover, which has a removable lower-padded section (which can hold my 5D+Grip w/24-70 attached, a 1.4x TC, 135mm f/2 and 16-35 f/2.8 ). Stick that inside of a Chrome messenger bag and you have a system that is perfect for hard biking and very little swaying of the bag on your back, and the quickness of the release mechanism on the Chrome bag allows for accessing the gear in a few seconds. Granted, you are buying two bags to do this, but the DryZone Rover is pretty fantastic in its own right for day-hikes and the like. What i like the best is that a Chrome bag does not look like something that is holding multiple-thousands of dollars worth of equipent. As a bonus, you can detach the waterproof portion of the Rover and stick that into a much larger hiking backpack for long journeys. I suppose you can buy inserts and stick that into the Chrome messenger bag (which itself is largely waterproof)

Unique solution! More expensive, of course, but then again, photography is quite the expensive hobby... :cool:

So just to get this straight, you only put the pouch from the DryRover into the Chrome bag, not the entire backpack, correct? This might be similar to buying a Crumpler photo bucket for my current Crumpler bag.

Canon 400D
Sigma 20mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS | Canon EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5

sponsored links
nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 19, 2008 15:20 |  #17

hrmm, I don't have the picture online anymore it seems, but I modified a chrome bag to ride with. I got some Domke inserts and after a little sewing and sealing (to retain the bag's waterproofness) I have no problem carrying body + couple lenses (or flash) and laptop plus random other stuff in the mini metro. Sounds similar to what sjafari did but different! I've been riding with this getup for over a year in Chicago with no problem (Id hate to take a spill though!)

woloi
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 19, 2008 18:13 |  #18

nadtz wrote in post #5555510 (external link)
hrmm, I don't have the picture online anymore it seems, but I modified a chrome bag to ride with. I got some Domke inserts and after a little sewing and sealing (to retain the bag's waterproofness) I have no problem carrying body + couple lenses (or flash) and laptop plus random other stuff in the mini metro. Sounds similar to what sjafari did but different! I've been riding with this getup for over a year in Chicago with no problem (Id hate to take a spill though!)

I think taking a spill even without the bag is something I'd try to avoid! Obviously no bag would protect against that, but a poorly chosen bag would increase the risk of something bad happening.

Would you be able to take some pictures of your setup? It definitely sounds interesting. One of my friends uses a Chrome bag, not sure what size, but it's definitely made for cycling.

Canon 400D
Sigma 20mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS | Canon EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5

sjafari
507 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 20, 2008 02:36 |  #19

woloi wrote in post #5555398 (external link)
Unique solution! More expensive, of course, but then again, photography is quite the expensive hobby... :cool:

So just to get this straight, you only put the pouch from the DryRover into the Chrome bag, not the entire backpack, correct? This might be similar to buying a Crumpler photo bucket for my current Crumpler bag.

That's correct, only the lower camera compartment is put inside the Chrome bag. I was considering the Crumpler insert route as well, but decided on going with the DryZone Rover since i needed a good day-hike backpack that was waterproof, and it happens to work perfectly with the Chrome bag. Definitely not a cheap approach, but the system is great.

-Shehab-
http://www.fotojafari.​net (external link)

5Dii, 16-35/2.8ii, 24-70/2.8, 135/2

nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 20, 2008 13:52 |  #20

I'll have to either dig one up or take a new one, my stuff is scattered to the 4 winds at the moment but I'll see what I can do.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 20, 2008 16:30 |  #21

sjafari wrote in post #5554274 (external link)
I have what I feel is a perfect setup.. I own a LowePro DryZone Rover, which has a removable lower-padded section (which can hold my 5D+Grip w/24-70 attached, a 1.4x TC, 135mm f/2 and 16-35 f/2.8 ). Stick that inside of a Chrome messenger bag and you have a system that is perfect for hard biking and very little swaying of the bag on your back, and the quickness of the release mechanism on the Chrome bag allows for accessing the gear in a few seconds. Granted, you are buying two bags to do this, but the DryZone Rover is pretty fantastic in its own right for day-hikes and the like. What i like the best is that a Chrome bag does not look like something that is holding multiple-thousands of dollars worth of equipent. As a bonus, you can detach the waterproof portion of the Rover and stick that into a much larger hiking backpack for long journeys. I suppose you can buy inserts and stick that into the Chrome messenger bag (which itself is largely waterproof)

You guys are masochists. Why would you want to bike with all that stuff and all that bulk? Just get one of those little clip on the seatpost carriers and one of the bags made for that (topeak makes them, IIRC). Then put what you want in there and take 1/3 of what you think you need (because you don't need that much).

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

sjafari
507 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 21, 2008 05:04 |  #22

JohnJ80 wrote in post #5563021 (external link)
You guys are masochists. Why would you want to bike with all that stuff and all that bulk? Just get one of those little clip on the seatpost carriers and one of the bags made for that (topeak makes them, IIRC). Then put what you want in there and take 1/3 of what you think you need (because you don't need that much).

That would work, but are those Topeak bags easy to carry when away from the bike? I like the idea of not having an extra 15lbs on my back while biking, but a lot of my shots are taken after ive already parked the bike and walked away from it.. and yeah its a good amount of gear to have on me, but Id rather bike 1mph slower and get the shot i want rather than go 1mph faster and miss some shots because i didnt bring a certain lens or something... though lately i just take my G9 with me and tuck that inside my saddle bag, and skip all the SLR equipment.

-Shehab-
http://www.fotojafari.​net (external link)

5Dii, 16-35/2.8ii, 24-70/2.8, 135/2

woloi
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 21, 2008 06:43 |  #23

J.

I'm moving to Newport, RI at the end of the month. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Newport, but from my few visits while searching for an apartment I found some amazing vistas, mostly of the ocean. Unfortunately, it appears as if it's quite difficult to drive, and even more so park, in Newport during the summer months, it's a pretty big tourist trap. Add in ridiculously high gas prices, and I'm trying to avoid using my car as much as possible this summer, which means I need a good bag to carry everything in on my bicycle.

Sure, ideally I'd carry nothing but a bottle of water while riding, but I'm trying to combine exercise, photography, and general transportation into one activity. I won't be as efficient at any one task, but I'll be a lot more efficient as a whole, at least so the theory goes :).

Canon 400D

nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 21, 2008 20:27 |  #24

J.

My bag weighs about 7lb, for a 6 mile bike commute that's nothing. Once upon a time when I used to do bike messengering Id easily have several times that strapped to my back for several hours a day. As for bike racks, baskets and what not, I leave my bike out of doors too much, stuff like that gets stolen in a blink here in Chicago.

bryanj87
996 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 31, 2008 13:54 as a reply to  @ nadtz's post |  #25

I've been looking around for a better bag to carry my gear when I ride (or walk/short hike). I had been using a Kiesel VR300 (external link), which is awesome because it holds a lot and has a camelbak style hydration setup, plus it hold my Slik tripod. However, it is a major nuisance to use. When I want to take a shot, I need to stop the bike, get off, take the bag off my back, bla bla bla. I also have a little Lowepro shoulder bag for walking around town, but it has become too small and is impossible to use on a bike.

I recently purchased a Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW (external link). For me, it is a near perfect solution for both bike riding and walking/short hiking. It holds all my current gear, is comfortable, and really easy to use while biking. I say "near perfect solution" because I can't strap my tripod to it. Maybe with the 300 AW I might have.

In any case, I recommend the Slingshot 200AW for cyclists, as well as walking around town or hiking.

bjbphotos.com (external link) | flickr (external link)| home (external link)| fb (external link)
Stuff I use (updated Jan '11 )

Life is too short for cheap beer.

Sageg
521 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 31, 2008 17:49 as a reply to  @ bryanj87's post |  #26

In agreement with the slingshot for biking. For a bike tripod, I'd take the gorilla pod and prob. just attach directly to my bike (which you could do with a regular tripod I suppose). :)

Sarah

Eyes, hands, brains, legs

sponsored links

9,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggest a Camera Bag (Bicycle Messenger Style)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.