Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 May 2008 (Tuesday) 20:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #172 - Signs

this thread is locked
ffenc1
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2008

May 26, 2008 22:32 |  #31

what a bad taste you people leave. im stepping down and will no longer post to this forum.

sponsored links
rpolitsr
5,980 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

May 26, 2008 22:35 |  #32

Cashmonee wrote in post #5602062 (external link)
**EDIT** In response to rpolitsr. I understand your point about keeping images to the same standard size, but then the rule should state 800x600. As you can plainly see other sizes, and therefore formats, are possible using the current rule of the longest side being 800 pixels.

The original discussion was about fitting the image in a box 640x640 pixels. Later it was changed to (a box of 800x)800 pixels.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 26, 2008 22:35 as a reply to  @ post 5602138 |  #33

Gee whiz guys, the picture was a measly few pixels UNDER the 800 rule. Most of the time picture sizes are dictated to prevent people from posting a 4000 X 3000 picture that you'd have to line up 3 monitors to see it all.

If the pic was OVERSIZE, I could see whining about it.

So its a little short on the long side. . . Who cares? It was a great picture and well deserved to be recognized for his EFFORTS, not his resizing capabilities. . .

Great way to welcome a new member - now look at his last post.

Sheesh ! . . . . :rolleyes:

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

Cashmonee
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 26, 2008 22:37 |  #34

ffenc1 wrote in post #5602180 (external link)
what a bad taste you people leave. im stepping down and will no longer post to this forum.

I really hope you do reconsider. I feel that you have a lot to contribute and would be an asset to the forum. However, I understand where you are coming from, and it is unfortunate that some feel the need to nitpick.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,571 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 26, 2008 22:38 as a reply to  @ post 5602138 |  #35

ffenc1 wrote in post #5601973 (external link)
OMG this is crazy. I did not take advantage of anything. here is the issue. at 800x600 the file size is over 260kb. which is over the 150kb size limit for jpegs. the posted image is only 32pixels smaller but dropped the file the size down to 119kb which is under the 150kb limit. i crop in camera not on the computer. so, not going to compromise image for a stupid rule. ill be more than glad to step down. i agree people with to much time on their hands.

I have had my photos tossed becuse of a size issue so I know how it feels. But fair ir fair and the rules are to be followed. This competition has been going on for a long time and I would hope to see everyone be a good sport about it.

Cashmonee wrote in post #5602062 (external link)
I gotta say, I am really surprised this is an issue at all. As I said, the spirit of the rule, IMO, is to keep bandwidth costs low and keep the picture within a window.

I stand by my choice. I think some of us are being a little hypersensitive. Let's try to remember that the point of these contests is to display some of our work, have fun, and see what others are doing. They are not so we can count pixels.

I think we are losing sight of the fact that we had 13 great images that people put time and effort into. Let's talk about the merits of their pictures, not the number of pixels.

**EDIT** In response to rpolitsr. I understand your point about keeping images to the same standard size, but then the rule should state 800x600. As you can plainly see other sizes, and therefore formats, are possible using the current rule of the longest side being 800 pixels.

It has nothing to do with hypersensitive. And it it has nothing to do with the quality of the photos. Whoever hosts the challenge has the job to see that each participant is playing by the rules. You wouldn't let Kobi Bryant foul and let him get away with it, would you?;)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Gary ­ W. ­ Graley
Goldmember
1,326 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 26, 2008 22:47 |  #36

I'm reminded of an old story, a family had a tradition when cooking a ham to cut off the ends.
The father asked his wife, 'why do you cut the ends off?'
His wife replied, 'my mother taught me that was how it was to be done'
So, since it was a family get together, he found his wife's mother and asked her the same question,
to which she replied, 'my mother taught me, so we that's how it was done'
And since the grandmother was still around, and at this particular dinner he sought her out and
asked her of this tradition of cutting the ends off the ham.
And she replied 'I cut the ends off so it would fit in the pans we had at the time'...:)

As mentioned the rule of one side seems odd, I know, rules have been around a
long time, but not keeping with the 800x600 it does make for a variable that would
also be considered not consistent from poster to poster, so possibly the rule really
should have read, no side longer than 800 pixels as a limit?

G2

5D Mark ii, 17-40L, 70-300L, 100L, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, S100

Umm..He's Sick, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……

Cashmonee
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 26, 2008 22:58 |  #37

Gary W. Graley wrote in post #5602284 (external link)
As mentioned the rule of one side seems odd, I know, rules have been around a
long time, but not keeping with the 800x600 it does make for a variable that would
also be considered not consistent from poster to poster, so possibly the rule really
should have read, no side longer than 800 pixels as a limit?

G2

I agree.

rpolitsr
5,980 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

May 26, 2008 23:22 |  #38

The rules can be changed by consensus after a reasonable discussion.
By now, the rule in effect (on the first post of this challenge) reads:

3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Tucker
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2008 00:07 as a reply to  @ ffenc1's post |  #39

Took this in Nova Scotia, Canada a few years back on a Sony point-and-shoot

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2278/2416705469_706ca41407.jpg?v=0

KC ­ Jewel
107 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 27, 2008 03:26 as a reply to  @ Tucker's post |  #40

Good one Tucker. That sign should be here in California for our happy cows.
John

G6, 420EX, Converter W/filters, 2X Xtend-a-view, 45mm red dot speed sight with Photosolve Xtend-a-sight mount.

racingsafetyman
220 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 27, 2008 04:10 |  #41

That's a real shame - I see ffenc1 has now removed his photo as well. so what happens to the challenge now?

Colin

My Gear List

http://www.colantra.sm​ugmug.com (external link)

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 27, 2008 04:45 as a reply to  @ racingsafetyman's post |  #42

Well done everyone who entried and thanks host Cashmonee for the great job.

At first glance, I thought my entry was honoured in comfortable place but after reading the threads, it looks ffenc1 has packed his bag.

rpolitsr wrote in post #5602500 (external link)
The rule in effect (on the first post of this challenge) reads:

3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

Apart from Lao, Thai and Chinese, I learnt English as my fourth language and I still understood this.

Hard work awaiting for me now... :evil:

Dorman
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 27, 2008 08:13 |  #43

Rpolistr - yes it is my first post in one of the G-series challenges, but I am not new to POTN or challenges/posting images. That is really irrelevant. The reason for my me posting that is that I felt it was in rather poor taste to point this out after the poster had won, and after the image had been up for most of the duration of the challenge. Couple this with the fact that the poster DID contact the host of the challenge and was given approval then the fact that it was over/under sized is really irrelevant.

Maureen - "You can't change the rule AFTER the game starts.", again, the poster of the image did play by the rules and was given the okay, and now people are crying afterwards that it wasn't fair.

All, I really think this issue is making a mountain out of a mohill - congrats to the winners and all those who posted excellent images. Let's move on to the next one and try to keep our image within the established guidelines. :)

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 27, 2008 09:52 as a reply to  @ Dorman's post |  #44

I too was DQ'd several weeks back for incorrect file size by that week's judge and his stringent following the rule to the let...number (800).

That said, I think there should be some uniformity to each participant's entry, but in the instance where I downscaled my photo, so viewers didn't have to then scroll through it to see in its entirety, I thought that was a reasonable action I took. I don't believe this was the instance for this week's winner.

My summation: I see both sides. Might I suggest we have a range that the longest side of the photo be between say 750-800?

Let's remember fun comes first and rules can be changed.

kevan's lens (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

May 27, 2008 10:21 |  #45

Dorman wrote in post #5601582 (external link)
I think you just might have a bit too much time on your hands to notice and check that out...

No, I'm actually quite busy :cool:. I've been participating in these challenges since they started and this is the first time I've seen anyone just ignoring the rules because of their own opinion of them. It's also one of the few times I've seen personal insults. This particular forum, unlike some, has up to now been notable for friendliness and humour among the participants.

The facts are these: the rules are extremely simple, and to be fair to all the participants who make the effort to abide by them, entries that do not qualify should be disqualified.

If someone does not know how to resize an image then they should learn (as we have all had to do at one time), with the help of the judge if he/she wants to take the time.

sponsored links

7,918 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #172 - Signs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.