Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 May 2008 (Monday) 21:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

macbook pro

EnronRocks
557 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 26, 2008 19:50 |  #61

Steve Beck wrote in post #5601092 (external link)
This is typical. Must not have actually shelled out the money to BUY windows. it is easy to built a PC with $50 MB, $75 video card, $40 case to screw it all in to, $70 hd etc. Apples to oranges you are trying to compare here.

Windows only costs $250 ish for Home Premium, to be honest if you are a student you can get a copy for free, if you work for a employer who is part of the Microsoft Software Exchange you can get a copy for free, and if you wanted to shell out a hundred or something dollars a year you could become part of the MSDN network you get copies for free.

The really funny part is, that millions of people continue to run illegal copies of software made by Microsoft, yet they continue to make billions while Apple sits and continues to make ridiculously childish commercials that still make little to no sense to millions of people who actually understand how to use a Windows operated computer.

Name: Garrett
Visit My Website (external link) and My Gallery (external link).
AIM - EnronRocks

sponsored links
cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 26, 2008 20:54 |  #62

EnronRocks wrote in post #5601148 (external link)
The really funny part is, that millions of people continue to run illegal copies of software made by Microsoft, yet they continue to make billions while Apple sits and continues to make ridiculously childish commercials that still make little to no sense to millions of people who actually understand how to use a Windows operated computer.

But isnt that smart business practice? 95% of the population doesnt understand how to operate any computer, so by Apple making it easy out of the box, they are winning some of the market share.... Those childish commercials do actually work...cant fault Apple so being creative...

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 26, 2008 23:52 |  #63

cory1848 wrote in post #5601526 (external link)
.... Those childish commercials do actually work...cant fault Apple so being creative...

Those childish commercials work, and work very very well.

I've used Mac's a lot in the past, but have only been an owner for a few weeks (bought a MacPro and MacBookPro when we switched). I can't tell you how many times I've overhead conversations of PC users walking into the store and reciting Apples marketing messages. No viruses.... It just works.... etc, nearly word for word right out of the ads.

I cringe when they say "I'm tired of dealing with PC issues, so I want Mac because its foolproof", and then watch the salesperson reaffirm their disbeliefs. Or when the salesperson tells there there is no known virus for OS X at the present time, and then sells them the latest Mac anti-virus program with their new MacBook that guarantees it will detect and remove all known OS X viruses (shellware??).

They may be childish, but their message is getting out there loud and clear. And as you know, the truth is only what you hear over and over and over again ;)

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

jonstewart
44 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 27, 2008 02:45 |  #64

flyingwolf wrote in post #5600841 (external link)
There is a lot of good back and forth on this thread but this item form page one just had to be commented on.

I recently built my new work machine, its a Quad core, with 8 gigs of RAM, 2 Dual DVI 1 gig video cards powering two 22 inch monitors.

Find me a quad core mac with 8 gigs of matched RAM for under 1000 (and don't forget two 22 inch monitors with a graphics card for each).

While I agree that Macs have good specs and are good computers, they are simply no match for a good well built PC.

I take it those weren't Xeon processors then?
Jon

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

May 27, 2008 04:59 |  #65

jonstewart wrote in post #5597218 (external link)
You have a valid point there, to some degree. The problem is that using bootcamp may appear simple, but is just the sort of thing that non technical people have a problem (especially when it doesn't work properly), when you consider the vagaries of both bootcamp and Apple's driver pack. Believe me, I have lots of experience of both.

...and I am an adult who plays games! (Wish I had more time to do so!)

All the best
Jon

Ok, I'll take your word for it. I thought all the gamers are technical.
BTW, How does it feel to be an adult? I am only 55 and looking forward to adulthood with an increasing amount of inquietude. My friends have all turned grey and all they talk about is their prostates and their retirement plans.
Is there any way out other than an ikeba..subar..seppuku? (external link)
( it looks like something that might spoil your dinner)

bag

jonstewart
44 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 27, 2008 07:57 |  #66

garbidz wrote in post #5603528 (external link)
Ok, I'll take your word for it. I thought all the gamers are technical.
BTW, How does it feel to be an adult? I am only 55 and looking forward to adulthood with an increasing amount of inquietude. My friends have all turned grey and all they talk about is their prostates and their retirement plans.
Is there any way out other than an ikeba..subar..seppuku? (external link)
( it looks like something that might spoil your dinner)

Well, when I say I'm an adult, that's only convention., being in my 40's. Inside I've got the vigour and youth of a 20 year old!

Live young, stay young!
All the best
Jon

Jryan
134 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007
Location: I've been asked that many times, as well what the ... is wrong with you?

May 27, 2008 08:42 as a reply to  @ post 5558550 |  #67

I don't know about the price thing there. I work in IT (I do about 80% product photography and 20% IT work these days) and it;s pretty easy to spec out a machine (linux or even windows) that is a lot cheaper than the Mac counterpart unless you are talking about the top end 8 core Mac Pro desktop models. In fact you can spec out a higher end PC.

I like Mac and would move and use parallels but for the cost.

Canon 7D, 40D w/kit 28-135, Canon 24-105 f4L IS USM, Canon 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon 17-55 f2.8 USM IS, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 60mm Macro, 580EXII, MR 14-EX, PS CS4
---------
Josh Ryan

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 27, 2008 09:31 |  #68

In fact yes I did purchase all of the software on my PC, it is a work PC and I must audit it yearly.

I can get XP Pro (OEM edition) for 50 USD, and even can get Vista Ultimate (system builders edition, no fancy box just the disk and key) for 150 USD.

And your right, they weren't Xeon cores, they were AMD Phenoms.

I spent about a month picking up parts from local stores and online. So there was some work involved there but it took me a whole hour to put together and another 2 hours to install all the needed software (thats not counting the windows installs, its quad booting XP Pro, Xp Pro x64, Vista Ultimate and Vista Ultimate x64).

I still hold true that the best computer is the one that works best for you.
For me these powerful machines all work perfectly for me. For others Macs work best.

It will always come down to personal choice, I love my trackball and would never give it up, others cannot stand the thing. Too bad its no longer sold.

And as for the OP's question, for a while I did have to use a Mac. There was one major thing that always annoyed the hell out of me, lack of small program compatibility.
I use so many small helper apps that simply aren't available for the Mac, for me I LOVE machine code, so PC's work for me.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

jonstewart
44 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 27, 2008 09:36 |  #69

That's a huge saving, not having Xeons, and the memory that goes with them, along with the twin memory controllers, and the fast cache on the board!

The reason I'm interested is that when I bought my MacPro (twin 3.0G Xeons) 18 months ago, it was the cheapest way of buying a workstation class PC (in part because of the high price of parts here in UK).

Nevertheless, you're not comparing similar machines!
Jon

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 27, 2008 09:48 |  #70

flyingwolf wrote in post #5604493 (external link)
I spent about a month picking up parts from local stores and online. So there was some work involved there but it took me ....

Any chance you can give us the details on what you got, how much, and where we can get the same parts?

I'm serious, in that I have my older PC that I would be more than happy to gut and rebuild to the level you mentioned for $799. I don't think I could find the 8GB memory, two 1GB video cards, two 22" monitors, and a hard disk, all of similar specs found in a Quad MacPro for $800. Let alone also getting a case, power supply, motherboard, OS, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Revamping my older PC for $800 to a quad core 8GB equivalent of my MacPro would be perfect for backup purposes.

Stephen

jonstewart
44 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 27, 2008 10:28 |  #71

sfaust wrote in post #5604577 (external link)
Any chance you can give us the details on what you got, how much, and where we can get the same parts?

I'm serious, in that I have my older PC that I would be more than happy to gut and rebuild to the level you mentioned for $799. I don't think I could find the 8GB memory, two 1GB video cards, two 22" monitors, and a hard disk, all of similar specs found in a Quad MacPro for $800. Let alone also getting a case, power supply, motherboard, OS, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Revamping my older PC for $800 to a quad core 8GB equivalent of my MacPro would be perfect for backup purposes.

Stephen, he hasn't built anywhere near the equivalent MacPro spec!
Jon

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 27, 2008 11:05 |  #72

What, you mean it was too good to be true ;)

But I was ready to order 5,000 and resell them for $2,500 each. :lol:

Stephen

jonstewart
44 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 27, 2008 11:28 |  #73

sfaust wrote in post #5604967 (external link)
What, you mean it was too good to be true ;)

But I was ready to order 5,000 and resell them for $2,500 each. :lol:

You just stick to what you do best, Stephen, and stop tryin' to make a quick buck! ;)

Jon

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 27, 2008 15:03 |  #74

I guess I should cancel that vacation in Spain that I booked banking on the profits I was going to make :(

Stephen

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 27, 2008 16:25 |  #75

So what your saying is your calling me a liar, thanks.

As I said I shopped around for a few months and purchased the parts at different times.

The memory I found for a great deal on Newegg, 2 2 gig sticks for only 98 dollars after rebate (which came in the male 2 days ago). Purchased 3 sets of those in fact, 8 gigs for me, and gave the other 4 gigs to my wife who has XP pro (though 32 bit windows cannot see the full four gigs).

The machine runs perfectly and so far with intense breaking using Sandra I haven't had a single error. The original audio card I bought to supplement the on board audio did cause me problems at first, once it was switched out for a new unit it has been rock stable.

I purchased from Newegg.com, geeks.com, monoprice.com and my local Microcenter Mall. The two monitors were the bulk of the price at 150 each after rebate.

All parts are rated high quality and have been through stress testing.

And again, thanks allot for calling me a liar, all you need is a bit of smarts and you too can save yourself allot of money. But if you want to spend 2500 for what I paid under 1k for, have fun, its your money.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

sponsored links

11,894 views & 0 likes for this thread
macbook pro
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.