Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2008 (Thursday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod for G9

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 22, 2008 11:15 |  #1

I have a larger Bogen carbon tripod with ball head but I was in a camera store the other day and spotted a very thin carbon Gitzo tripod and wondered if something like that would work well with the G9 or other tiny camera.

I often find I would love to have a tripod along with closeup work and scenics but usually I'm just out doing a walk around when this happens so not inclined to carry a tripod. If it was very, very light yet very, very good, for the small size of the camera then it might be worth it, maybe carry it somehow on a strap or from the waist I don't really know but I would want it to be of quality and I would want it to be solid at a height of at least 60 inches.

Any suggestions, think of it in terms if you were to take it on a trip through the Orient or maybe Europe but the G9 was your ownly camera and wanted to be able to lock it down and really get some soilid shots.

This may not be possible with existing tripods as they may not be taken seriously and only defined as "cheap" but not quality but I was thinking of Gitzo already makes something like this, then it might be worth looking at.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links
Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 22, 2008 11:20 |  #2

You're talking about something like a Gitzo 1540T? Or smaller? If you want a cheaper alternative to that try Feisol's CT-3441S or CT-3442 - I own the latter and it's rock solid above 60" and folds down to <19" with the head between the legs... the 3441S folds about 2" shorter, iirc. Weight 1,005g.

Gitzo's 1540T has similar specs. Combine either with a Markins Emile Q3 head and you have about the lightest CF/head tripod combination you could reasonably get away with, I think...

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

jpmac55
43 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 22, 2008 22:01 |  #3

Certainly the tripod's mentioned are all good choices, I just purchased this one:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ails&Q=&sku=171​046&is=REG (external link)

John
FS: Canon 70-300mm IS ($420); Sigma 105 f/2.8 macro ($350.)

Freff
910 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 23, 2008 06:26 as a reply to  @ jpmac55's post |  #4

I found this old Cherry tripod years ago in an antique shop for £5. Never thought I'd have a use for it, it was just a nice photographic object for the price. Now I have the G9 it goes with it everywhere. At only 120z and 8" closed to a respectable 3' extended it is very usable. I widened it's capability to make it a bit more stable. It's great for holidays and those occasions when you just don't wont to lug the DSLR gear about.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tony

"I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous"

"I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore"

My Gear

Gary ­ W. ­ Graley
Goldmember
1,326 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 23, 2008 06:54 |  #5

Freff, that one looks pretty nice, compact too!
I bought a small one, bogen, that is also easy to carry
doesn't have the height but usually I can find something
to rest it on when I'm out, it has a nice wide solid base
that you can mount the ball swivel head directly on
to get down low, or the extension can be left on
it slips into my pocket so it's easy to carry when walking
because if you don't have it, you'll not ever use it, I had
a lighter real tripod but was just too much to even lug
that around and gave it to my brother.
Here's a thread I started about my tripod for the G9 camera
G2

5D Mark ii, 17-40L, 70-300L, 100L, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, S100

Umm..He's Sick, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 23, 2008 10:02 |  #6

I have a Leica ball head thats been sitting here for the last 30 years in perfect condition so if I could just find some good sticks but I do want them tall. I'd use them mostly for scenic stuff when I go for my walks and I seem to be getting into using the G9 a lot for flower shots and would like to be more stable. I looked at some Giottos yesterday at a local shop but with their huge cushioned grips and everything, they just werent' that light.

Ms.Jannie

lrjanzen
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 23, 2008 10:32 |  #7

I have a Bogen 785PL that cost me $70 new. Great tripod for the G9. Light and tall enough to be useful on its own.

Thanks
Lonnie
Canon G9, CV 50mm viewer, Lensmate, Franiec Grip and Thumb spot
http://donlonphoto.ami​nus3.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/donlonphoto/ (external link)

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 23, 2008 11:34 |  #8

Hey Lonnie I searched for that in BH and came up with a quick release head, could you recheck the number on the tripod. Thanks.

Ms.Jannie

Piet
295 posts
Joined May 2008

May 23, 2008 15:44 |  #9

What about this one:

Cullmann Piccolo, have a look at the product family (external link).

Fits perfect in the (small) camera bag i use and is stable enough for any situation where i need a long exposure or the self timer.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Regards,
Piet

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

May 23, 2008 18:28 |  #10

Freff wrote in post #5580515 (external link)
I found this old Cherry tripod years ago in an antique shop for £5. Never thought I'd have a use for it, it was just a nice photographic object for the price. Now I have the G9 it goes with it everywhere. At only 120z and 8" closed to a respectable 3' extended it is very usable. I widened it's capability to make it a bit more stable. It's great for holidays and those occasions when you just don't wont to lug the DSLR gear about.

That is really nice. Seems that would sell well given that there is so little to choose from in a "good" compact travel tripod.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

mike_flood
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2008

May 28, 2008 14:49 |  #11

Jannie wrote in post #5574992 (external link)
Any suggestions, think of it in terms if you were to take it on a trip through the Orient or maybe Europe but the G9 was your ownly camera and wanted to be able to lock it down and really get some soilid shots.

This may not be possible with existing tripods as they may not be taken seriously and only defined as "cheap" but not quality but I was thinking of Gitzo already makes something like this, then it might be worth looking at.

I recently picked up a Gorillapod for $5.
If you haven't seen them check out http://www.joby.com/ (external link)
small, lightweight, quickly detachable.

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 28, 2008 15:52 |  #12

Any thoughts about this for the G9?

http://www.trek-tech.com …od_nature_photo​graphy.mpg (external link)

seems to be in the spirit of the camera itself.

kevan's lens (external link)

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 29, 2008 10:51 |  #13

I think it's pretty fantastic, it's not really a solid tripod but I can make definite use of it as a walking stick and as a monopod I imagine with the G9's IS I could get away with maybe 1/2 sec exposures, at least that's something I'd train myself for. I'm rather liking this and will reconsider the idea of using a monopod, I actually have one around here somewhere that I've never used.

Ms.Jannie

Dorman
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 29, 2008 10:53 |  #14

I'm thinking about giving the gorilla pod a whirl, I looked at the ultrapod II but it doesn't seem as versatile.

For my uses if I'm lugging a tripod chances are I'll be lugging my DSLR rig as well - goes against the reason I bought the G9.

Cheers.

iwatkins
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Sep 2003

May 30, 2008 11:02 |  #15

Hi All,

Just bought a G9, my first "compact" in over 5 years (been using 10D, 1D etc.). Love the camera and wouldn't dream of carrying a tripod for it as there is always somewhere to rest the camera hence I bought a Pod (http://www.thepod.ca/ (external link)). All in your pocket, how I want it (DSLRs always mean a big bag of stuff).

Cheers

Ian

sponsored links

10,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod for G9
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.