Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 16 May 2008 (Friday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HELP! band wants me too shoot for them in 3 hours!

Justiner
74 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 16, 2008 20:14 |  #1

So I got a real short notice today, and a band wants me to shoot them during their concert...

and i've never done this before!

soooo nervous

so i need your tips! anything helps...

I have a canon 40D with a 28-135mm lens i know this lens is known for not being so good in low lighting... so what can I do to compensate?????

help!!

sponsored links
TopGear1Ds
600 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 16, 2008 20:34 |  #2

do you know how to enable ISO expansion to get 3200? Its custom function 8 on my 30D.. not sure about the 40D

If you don't have a flash, your only real chance is to pump it up to 3200 and hope for the best. Also shoot Av or preferably M with you lens wide open.

--Matt--
Gear

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 16, 2008 21:18 |  #3

Same here... I have the 30D, it's OK at ISO 3200... the 28-135mm IS, might just do the trick at the highest ISO available... The IS is a little bit slow... so hold the camera steady for just an additional second to let it stabilize...

ISO 1600 is your other option provided the light is strong and steady...

Bring lots of memory and use it all up... Shoot in RAW, so in post processing you can adjust the exposure... Even your Canon software will help you convert from RAW...

I shoot between 800-1200 pics per show in RAW... You can always spend the extra time after the show sorting out your pix... Allow 2-3 hours for download to your computer and the primary sort.

I use spot meter and aim for the eye...

If you understand *bracketing*, use it.

Post your results here... Good Luck.

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 16, 2008 21:56 |  #4

Shoot Raw. If lighting is fairly constant, use M and chimp. Otherwise; Av, Evaluative metering and appropriate EC (chimp). Use a fast lens (f/2.8 would be nice). Shoot Raw. Read the FAQ. Use high ISO (1600 or so). Set WB to tungsten. Fill up those CF cards. Did I mention shooting Raw?

Edit: I saw the bit about your lens: Forget ISO 1600. Use ISO 3200 ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Justiner
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 17, 2008 21:44 |  #5

thanks guys!

Rock ­ Photo ­ Star
307 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 18, 2008 19:18 |  #6

Hope Justiner comes back and post the results.

Canon T3I, Canon 15mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm; Sigma 30mm; Canon 580ex II and 430 flash; Interfit Stellar Strobes; Lastolite hi-lite background; more

thelightofsound
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 20, 2008 14:33 as a reply to  @ Rock Photo Star's post |  #7

i was going to say rent some faster glass, but i guess i didn't read the whole op.

--atlanta photographer michael saba (external link) - music photography (external link)

Rock ­ Photo ­ Star
307 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 30, 2008 08:53 |  #8

Rock Photo Star wrote in post #5550147 (external link)
Hope Justiner comes back and post the results.

Look around and you'll see that at times it feels like no one really cares
It gets me down but I'm still gonna try to do what's right

www.KillerBandPhotos.c​om (external link)

Canon T3I, Canon 15mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm; Sigma 30mm; Canon 580ex II and 430 flash; Interfit Stellar Strobes; Lastolite hi-lite background; more

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 30, 2008 14:11 |  #9

Amazing how everyone tells this guy to shoot ISO 3200 when all he said was "low light", obviously that would be the final straw if he can't get the shot.

Start out at in AV mode and see what your camera is telling you the shutter speed is, if it is lower than your focal length and you are shooting wide open then you may need to switch to ISO 3200.

I just hate to see advice when there is no indication of how much actual light there is.

My first question would be do you know how to use a histogram and when you do look at a histogram do you know what the final result will be based on that histogram. If you know that then you can "cheat" and underexpose as save it in RAW if you need to.

I just hate to see advice on "how to shoot something", light dictates how something is shot......not the subject.

I've shot venue's where I have all the light I need and can shoot at ISO 640 or 800 and be fine.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 30, 2008 14:31 |  #10

Hey, Chris, I thought you were dead! :-) When someone drifts in at the last second looking to learn a whole new genre of photography I think there's very little that can be done ... the amount of information one can get is usually minimal at best, so any advice is probably better than nothing. He should start by reading the FAQ.

BTW, I'm starting into glamor ... go see my Glamor Project on my website. I've got a long way to go! :-)

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

johnms88
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 30, 2008 19:53 |  #11

DwightMcCann wrote in post #5626502 (external link)
BTW, I'm starting into glamor ... go see my Glamor Project on my website. I've got a long way to go! :-)

WHORE!

*scampers off to look*

-edit-

dwight, the images are too large in your flash thingy. I have to scroll the page to look at them.

1Dmk2n:16-35L:24-70L:Sigma 70-200: 85 1.8 : 50 1.8: www.stuiephoto.com (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=776396

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 31, 2008 07:54 |  #12

DwightMcCann wrote in post #5626502 (external link)
Hey, Chris, I thought you were dead! :-) When someone drifts in at the last second looking to learn a whole new genre of photography I think there's very little that can be done ... the amount of information one can get is usually minimal at best, so any advice is probably better than nothing. He should start by reading the FAQ.

Dead Tired!

Just been swamped....some of it due to switching to a Mac and learning new stuff. We have a full time sales lady starting in the studio on Monday so we've been getting ready for that........ugh...lots of work.

I agree on the FAQ, I just hate to see a comment like...I'm shooting low light so what do I do and the first response is shoot at ISO3200....

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 31, 2008 08:35 |  #13

taygull wrote in post #5630174 (external link)
I agree on the FAQ, I just hate to see a comment like...I'm shooting low light so what do I do and the first response is shoot at ISO3200....

I think everyone just panics at the thought of f/5.6 on the long end. ISO3200 may not be necessary, but it would probably be a good idea to have the CF enabled just in case the particular venue is well, typical. But yeah...three hours to go is probably a little late to start asking questions. ;)

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

sponsored links

2,087 views & 0 likes for this thread
HELP! band wants me too shoot for them in 3 hours!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.