Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Oct 2007 (Wednesday) 20:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to Crop - The "right way"...

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Oct 13, 2007 13:53 |  #76

taygull wrote in post #4116995 (external link)
I'd say no not that exact part number, there is probably one available though.

I'll have to do more digging. This screen and the ones for Mark-series were the only ones I could find. I didn't find a Canon version for the 20D.

Thanks

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

sponsored links
taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2007 14:11 |  #77

Karl C wrote in post #4117094 (external link)
I'll have to do more digging. This screen and the ones for Mark-series were the only ones I could find. I didn't find a Canon version for the 20D.

Thanks

The other option is just to send the camera to someone who will etch them for you. I know several big time pro's who have done this.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

Aaagogo
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 13, 2007 12:32 |  #78

so i think, i think the whole idea is that it's better to shoot a little looser so that 1 "final" crop can yield multiple print sizes with the photog having to do minimal or no work after the 1st crop.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=4655753&pos​tcount=953 Your 1st 10,000 images are your worst
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 20, 2007 09:33 |  #79

Aaagogo wrote in post #4308387 (external link)
so i think, i think the whole idea is that it's better to shoot a little looser so that 1 "final" crop can yield multiple print sizes with the photog having to do minimal or no work after the 1st crop.

Bingo. IMO, the only way to crop is not to crop until in post! Why limit your options.

With that said, I shoot loose to give editors options on cropping, but I also crop in camera on many shots as well. In stark contrast, when shooting products, I pretty much crop in camera since the final layout is already nailed down.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

H20boy
611 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2007 10:25 |  #80

Great thread! Thanks to the OP for his time to start it, and believe it or not, I learned alot. I've done the separate 8x10 crop for a bride, and it can be exhausting. Good to know there are upfront choices that can be made during the shoot to help this.

Matt l My Galleries (external link)
5d2 l 1d3 l 24-70/2.8 l Σ 50/1.4 l 70-200/2.8 IS l Σ 120-300/2.8 l 135/2 l 15/2.8 FE l Tam 90mac

Aaagogo
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 21, 2007 02:03 |  #81

so meaning take 2 shots of everything?

1 shoot loose enough for a 4x6 and the other tight enough for a 8x12?

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=4655753&pos​tcount=953 Your 1st 10,000 images are your worst
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style

notapro
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 21, 2007 08:51 |  #82

Aaagogo wrote in post #4357196 (external link)
so meaning take 2 shots of everything?

1 shoot loose enough for a 4x6 and the other tight enough for a 8x12?

I have been doing essentially this, too, assuming you meant 8x10. Well, yesterday I got an order for an 8x10 of my tight shot. I have to email her today and explain that I can either do an 8x12 for her or print an 8x10 of a looser crop. I have a feeling that if I email her examples, she will be okay with it. It was probably just the closer crop that she liked, but I'm not sure how to handle it if she is unhappy about it. Throw in a free 8x12 frame?? I think I'm kidding... maybe :confused:

Amanda

Ontario Wedding Photographer  (external link)| My Blog (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 21, 2007 08:57 |  #83

I've got the ultimate solution for y'all with framing issues.

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Shoot everything with the Sigma 4.5mm.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2007 11:13 |  #84

notapro wrote in post #4358314 (external link)
I have been doing essentially this, too, assuming you meant 8x10. Well, yesterday I got an order for an 8x10 of my tight shot. I have to email her today and explain that I can either do an 8x12 for her or print an 8x10 of a looser crop. I have a feeling that if I email her examples, she will be okay with it. It was probably just the closer crop that she liked, but I'm not sure how to handle it if she is unhappy about it. Throw in a free 8x12 frame?? I think I'm kidding... maybe :confused:

Is it a horizontal or vertical image? If it's horizontal, just squish in those extra two inches, and it'll make the person skinnier to boot ;) If it's a vertical, well, not so much...

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

notapro
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 21, 2007 11:25 |  #85

bieber wrote in post #4359117 (external link)
Is it a horizontal or vertical image? If it's horizontal, just squish in those extra two inches, and it'll make the person skinnier to boot ;) If it's a vertical, well, not so much...

Unfortunately it's vertical, but thanks for the idea. i don't know if I'd squish a whole two inches, but it could work if you just needed to squish a little.

Amanda

Ontario Wedding Photographer  (external link)| My Blog (external link)

Strnge
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 02, 2008 13:22 |  #86

Sorry to those who don't like reviveing old threads, but I was wondering if I could get another question answered.

[QUOTE=taygull;4059494​]

Example 1 is of the image I shot and framed lose so I could crop to 4:5. This is the cropped version.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i187.photobucke​t.com/albums/x298/pawl​ess/8x10.jpg (external link)

quote]

I would like to see the original shot before any cropping so I have an idea of what I need to leave around the subject. Please post the orginal side bye side with this cropped one.

Mike

MIKE

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 02, 2008 15:33 |  #87

Thanks strnge. I was just gonna ask this. We can see the end result. What was the original crop to know what to look for to get this "right way".

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 02, 2008 16:05 |  #88

I don't have it handy and may not have saved it. Just envision about a 1/2" above and below the image.

McKinney, TX

Strnge
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 03, 2008 08:23 |  #89

So I want to leave an 1/2 an inch on the left and right if shot in landscape and a 1/2 inch if shot in portrait? This will leave me enough space to crop for 3X5, 4X6, 5X7, and 8X10 and nothing will be cut off?

MIKE

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 03, 2008 10:22 |  #90

Strnge wrote in post #5649257 (external link)
So I want to leave an 1/2 an inch on the left and right if shot in landscape and a 1/2 inch if shot in portrait? This will leave me enough space to crop for 3X5, 4X6, 5X7, and 8X10 and nothing will be cut off?

The simple thing to do is open some images in photoshop and select your crop tool to the specific ratio's and see what it does.

That is the best advice I can give as it would be hard to layout exactly how much in inches, that was just a guesstimate.

McKinney, TX

sponsored links

9,911 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to Crop - The "right way"...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.