Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 22 Apr 2008 (Tuesday) 15:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Costa Rica suggestions?

bbbig
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2008 15:56 |  #1

Going to San Jose for 10 days next month on a family vacation, and we may go to some beaches, mountains, however no real "plan". Any suggestions as to what gear I should bring? 70-200 2.8 IS too big & heavy? I did bring my 24-70L last time and although it took great photos, I thought a little short... suggestions? What should I go see? Anything particularly spectacular?

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

sponsored links
curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 23, 2008 04:47 |  #2

There's plenty of wildlife, as you will know. Although your 70-200 2.8 IS would be useful, with a full frame SLR I think it's a little short. So if you're not really into shooting wildlife I'd leave it behind. If you're serious I'd hire a 100-400mm.

I really enjoyed Cahuita and the national park there. Corcovado was fantastic for a rainforest experience but it's a bit more difficult to get to. There are three volcanoes within easy reach from San Jose, I've been to Poas and Irazu and both were worth visiting and a great to photograph.

Take a look at my web site, the photos and diary may give you some ideas. Any questions let me know.

Photos from Iceland (external link) | London (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

Excavator
128 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 23, 2008 09:48 as a reply to  @ curiousgeorge's post |  #3

Love MonteVerde, the cloud forests there are beautiful.
Preferred the West coast - Zancudo, Montezuma, Dominical ... Drakes Bay was very remote last time we were there, probably much more developed now. Too much Jamaican/rastafarian drug culture where we ended up on the East coast, plus the sun sets on the wrong side.

Have a look at our Costa Rica travelogue (external link), maybe that will help you decide what to bring.

I did not have any real expensive gear at the time so I just tossed a handful of dessicant packets (my attempt at preventing any damage from humidity) in the camera bag and went.

One tip, have a look at the traffic in downtown San Jose before you decide to rent a car. Driving there is NOT for the faint of heart!

===============
Gear List

Merlin ­ Driver
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined May 2005

May 28, 2008 00:18 |  #4

Excavator wrote in post #5387704 (external link)
Love MonteVerde, the cloud forests there are beautiful.
Preferred the West coast - Zancudo, Montezuma, Dominical ... Drakes Bay was very remote last time we were there, probably much more developed now. Too much Jamaican/rastafarian drug culture where we ended up on the East coast, plus the sun sets on the wrong side.

Have a look at our Costa Rica travelogue (external link), maybe that will help you decide what to bring.

I did not have any real expensive gear at the time so I just tossed a handful of dessicant packets (my attempt at preventing any damage from humidity) in the camera bag and went.

One tip, have a look at the traffic in downtown San Jose before you decide to rent a car. Driving there is NOT for the faint of heart!

So do you didn't take any high dollar gear because of the crime down there??

Lynn

Excavator
128 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 28, 2008 08:38 as a reply to  @ Merlin Driver's post |  #5

I didn't take any high end gear because I didn't own any at the time.
Had no trouble with crime outside of SanJose - no trouble there either, just a little more careful.
It looked like some people at the Panama border might have liked to have a look in our car too.

===============
Gear List

caf025
398 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 28, 2008 15:42 |  #6

Go to Arenal.

Gear List

Merlin ­ Driver
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined May 2005

May 28, 2008 22:19 |  #7

caf025 wrote in post #5613197 (external link)
Go to Arenal.

Roger that...

Lynn

bbbig
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 29, 2008 15:42 as a reply to  @ Merlin Driver's post |  #8

We ended up going to La Paz (http://www.waterfallga​rdens.com/ (external link)) and a beach near Esterillos - took some wonderful photos! Arenal will have to wait until next year. I also walked around quite a bit with my 70-200 2.8 IS in San Isidro, taking some photos of locals, and felt perfectly safe although a lot of people were looking at me with "what the hell is that?" kind of look. I did at times wish that I had a longer lens; perhaps I'll go back with a 400mm+ next year. Certainly that place has no shortage of sun light!

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

Merlin ­ Driver
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined May 2005

May 29, 2008 21:52 |  #9

bbbig wrote in post #5620287 (external link)
We ended up going to La Paz (http://www.waterfallga​rdens.com/ (external link)) and a beach near Esterillos - took some wonderful photos! Arenal will have to wait until next year. I also walked around quite a bit with my 70-200 2.8 IS in San Isidro, taking some photos of locals, and felt perfectly safe although a lot of people were looking at me with "what the hell is that?" kind of look. I did at times wish that I had a longer lens; perhaps I'll go back with a 400mm+ next year. Certainly that place has no shortage of sun light!

Roy thanks for the reply and to help things out, I just sent my 100-400L back to Canon with the focus part inop. I'm thinking of taking my 70-200L F2.8 with the tele's to reach out there.

Take care,

Lynn

harv3589
523 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 03, 2008 14:43 as a reply to  @ Merlin Driver's post |  #10

caf025 wrote in post #5613197 (external link)
Go to Arenal.

+1 on that, plus you may want to make your way down to Manuel Antonio and take a walk through the national park there. Great opportunities for some photography and a real beautiful place to see.

sponsored links

1,664 views & 0 likes for this thread
Costa Rica suggestions?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.