Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

Thameth
429 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 06, 2008 04:38 |  #181

I'm curious to see what your final product will look like Corzy. If I wasn't so busy today (friday) I could pass by and help you out. But my whole weekend is a mess.

www.JosephRegner.com (external link)

sponsored links
aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 06, 2008 07:51 |  #182

n1nj4 m0d3 wrote in post #5670815 (external link)
you need a jack to set up your rig? that's not good...

I need a jack for my car as well as it's simply too low to shove myself underneath there while I'm hunting for grabbing points.

With that said, for now at least, I have abandoned my magnet-based aspiration (not enough grabbing surface for the magnets) and will be going the same route you did Ninja... I bought an 8'-16' painter's extension pole and will be giving it a shot tonight or tomorrow. My Avenger F1000 cups and two additional clamps came in yesterday. Hopefully, I'll have some rig shots to offer. :D

5D Mark III | 135L | 24-70L | 580EXII | Flickr | Instagram (external link)

CorzyPhoto
748 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 06, 2008 08:09 |  #183

Thameth wrote in post #5671002 (external link)
I'm curious to see what your final product will look like Corzy. If I wasn't so busy today (friday) I could pass by and help you out. But my whole weekend is a mess.

It's cool man. I think I have the design down pat. I might have a welding shop weld some things together for a more rigid design. If the galv. steel tubing ends up being too heavy, I might have to wait it out and save for aluminum tubing, or I can get a painters extension pole and rig it up with my design. I didn't even get my magnets in and it's looking pretty sturdy.

The only thing I would be worried about with the extension pole is the joint when it is fully extended. I'm not sure how thick the tubing is, but I'm assuming it's pretty similar to my pool brush extension pole, and it's not too stiff when fully extended, let alone trying to support a camera 15' out.

flickr (external link)

My Site (external link) (Under Construction)

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 06, 2008 08:56 |  #184

CorzyPhoto wrote in post #5671583 (external link)
The only thing I would be worried about with the extension pole is the joint when it is fully extended. I'm not sure how thick the tubing is, but I'm assuming it's pretty similar to my pool brush extension pole, and it's not too stiff when fully extended, let alone trying to support a camera 15' out.

That's why you need to buy a pole that is already fairly long so as to avoid extending it too far. Even though a 6'-12' pole would have sufficed lengthwise (extended), I knew it would have way too much bounce on it. Instead, I opted on the longer pole and got the 8'-16' pole. That way, it's almost long enough without the need to extend it much (if at all), while at the same time, it has no bounce to it.

...and is MUCH lighter than the EMT tubing I have for the magnet setup.

CorzyPhoto
748 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 06, 2008 10:04 |  #185

What lens are you using for these rig shots?

flickr (external link)

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 06, 2008 10:11 |  #186

CorzyPhoto wrote in post #5672216 (external link)
What lens are you using for these rig shots?

I'll probably use the 10-22 and/or 17-55 f2.8 IS but was wondering about the same question. I'd love to hear what some of the guys used here for glass.

CorzyPhoto
748 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 06, 2008 10:31 |  #187

Well, it's obvious the closer the camera is to the car the less shake there will be. But it really depends on what you are going for with the picture... If you want a more wide angle (closer to the car with less shake), or more "regular zoom" (further away from the car with more possible shake). I don't have a choice with glass, so I'll be using my kit lens (18-55). I do plan on going with it's widest 18mm, so I can get closer to the car with less material.

flickr (external link)

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 06, 2008 11:08 |  #188

CorzyPhoto wrote in post #5672399 (external link)
Well, it's obvious the closer the camera is to the car the less shake there will be. But it really depends on what you are going for with the picture... If you want a more wide angle (closer to the car with less shake), or more "regular zoom" (further away from the car with more possible shake). I don't have a choice with glass, so I'll be using my kit lens (18-55). I do plan on going with it's widest 18mm, so I can get closer to the car with less material.

I think there is also the look you are going for. An UWA will distort the car - not everyone's cup of tea. :)

CorzyPhoto
748 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 06, 2008 13:22 |  #189

Yeah. It really all depends what you want... I'll be fine with my kit lens for now.

flickr (external link)

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 06, 2008 13:32 |  #190

CorzyPhoto wrote in post #5673337 (external link)
Yeah. It really all depends what you want... I'll be fine with my kit lens for now.

I'll be fine with anything right now, so long my goddamn rig works on the 4th weekend attempt! :evil:

:D

CorzyPhoto
748 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 06, 2008 15:24 |  #191

:lol: Well I see you got your pumps! Get that rig workin and show us some pics!

flickr (external link)

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 06, 2008 17:21 |  #192

CorzyPhoto wrote in post #5674016 (external link)
:lol: Well I see you got your pumps! Get that rig workin and show us some pics!

Tomorrow my friend, tomorrow! :D

CorzyPhoto
748 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 06, 2008 17:22 |  #193

Same here. As for now, TATA!

flickr (external link)

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 07, 2008 07:55 |  #194

OK, so here as promised, are my 'behind the scenes' pics.

Pretty basic and almost identical to Dean's rig with the exception of the type of pole used and minus the magic arm.

Components:

1 x 10' EMT pole - $8 *** see note bellow ***
2 x Avenger F1000 suction cups - $97
3 x Manfrotto super clamps - $75
1 x Manfrotto 484 Micro ball head - $45

Total Cost: $225 :)

*** the pics bellow show a painter's pole, which I have since returned and replaced with a 10' EMT pipe. The bounce on the painter's pole was too much to my liking. Otherwise, my setup is identical to what you see bellow with the exception of the pole ***

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 07, 2008 08:46 |  #195

Initially I really liked the magnet-based rigs as they appeared to pose less of a problem in PP. However, after my first rig session last night, I've realized that PP skills can be acquired fairly quickly and photoshopping the rig out may not big such of a big deal after all. On the other hand, finding a location, quick assembly, easy adjustments, and more mounting options are all advantages of the suction cup-based rigs. Those are much more important imo than PP work.

With magnet-based rigs you are limited to the spots under the car where you can mount it, it takes longer to assemble, and a real PITA to mount (i.e. jacking up the car, etc.). Have said that, I will keep my magnet rig and give it a shot at some point as well - using clamps. ;)

sponsored links

3,658,042 views & 527 likes for this thread
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.