Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 13 May 2008 (Tuesday) 17:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 1000D

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

May 15, 2008 10:02 |  #16

dpastern wrote in post #5528643 (external link)
The original rebel (film) circa mid 90s, only had a top speed of 1/2000 second and flash sync of 1/125 from memory, no real motor drive, none or few custom functions from memory.

Dave

1/1000 top speed, 1/90 flash sync, 3 zone AF or 10% evaluative, only 90% viewfinder coverage, and no custom functions, DOF preview or anything. I had the FNS version which supposedly moved film through a little faster and had a quieter shutter.

I loved that camera, got some really great shots over the years, and then you look back at the specs compared to what is available now and realize just how lucky we are. Even if the 1000D has the the weakest of all the specs suggested here, it'll still beat the old film 1000s.

Oh, and that wasn't from memory. I cheated and looked it up. :)

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

sponsored links
gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 15, 2008 10:36 |  #17

dpastern wrote in post #5528643 (external link)
To be honest, it'll almost be a model to combat the D40/D60 which are both undercutting the 450D, Canon's cheapest camera.

They'll probably keep it at 8mp, ISO 1600 will be the top ISO speed, probably only to 1/4000 and flash sync at 1/200, no live view, 5 point AF, 92% viewfinder coverage, probably no real motor drive, maybe 1 fps, maybe 2fps at tops, very average memory buffer, very small and very light in terms of physical size and weight. Noise performance will be average at higher ISOs, AF won't be super accurate or fast, but will be good enough for the vast majority of people (i.e. those not shooting sports/fast action). It'll be a 1.6 crop (obviously), no mirror lockup. 2.5" LCD screen, quite possibly a 2" screen to keep costs down. I doubt that you'll get much in the way of custom functions. You'll get RAW, probably large, medium and small jpeg sizes, but I doubt sRAW will be offered.

Anyways, that's what I reckon it'll be ;-)a

The original rebel (film) circa mid 90s, only had a top speed of 1/2000 second and flash sync of 1/125 from memory, no real motor drive, none or few custom functions from memory.

Dave

I agree with your other specs but I think it will have liveview. They use that to pull point & shooters in.

So far they've released four cameras with liveview and I don't see them not including liveview on every camera from here on out.

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 15, 2008 13:39 as a reply to  @ gooble's post |  #18

I don't think we'll see a artificially crippled camera from Canon. I believe that if there will be a 1000D, Canon will do the same thing Nikon did with the D40: Basic AF-System, medium resolution sensor, fewer buttons, maybe a cheaper display (although Canon is using their current 3" display in everything from the 1DmkIII down to some PowerShot models), some "advanced" software-features disabled (like mirror-lockup) but basically a fully featured DSLR.

Flickr (external link) :: Gear

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 15, 2008 17:56 |  #19

I suspect it'll probably be a $499 with a kit lens entry level body as everyone is getting sick of the slow digicam and this will be a way to bring folks into the Canon camp.

I suspect a 10MP sensor from the 40D with digic III, live view, 2.5 inch LCD, 2.5-3 fps, 3 AF points, really cheap build (like those cheap film Rebel bodies) and probably no custom function.

I would venture to say that like Pentax and Nikon, you can do different picture modes after the shot/crop/edit-process in camera so you can print directly without any post processing on a computer.

If they make it cool and retro looking like the Olympus E420 I'd be tempted, but something tells me that it'lll just be a really ugly looking version of the XSi.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 15, 2008 19:43 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Citizensmith wrote in post #5529445 (external link)
1/1000 top speed, 1/90 flash sync, 3 zone AF or 10% evaluative, only 90% viewfinder coverage, and no custom functions, DOF preview or anything. I had the FNS version which supposedly moved film through a little faster and had a quieter shutter.

I loved that camera, got some really great shots over the years, and then you look back at the specs compared to what is available now and realize just how lucky we are. Even if the 1000D has the the weakest of all the specs suggested here, it'll still beat the old film 1000s.

Oh, and that wasn't from memory. I cheated and looked it up. :)

I didn't have one, was just going from memory! I was at least pretty close lol. I hope they don't cripple the 1000D too much, might pick one up for my dad if the price is right (he's too tight to buy a camera himself, even though he has enough money to buy a few 1Ds Mark III's lol...guess I better speak kind of him, he's probably going to lend me the money to get a 500mm f4 for birding/motorsports photography after I pay my Mark IIn off ;)

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

Red ­ Dot
627 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 16, 2008 05:05 |  #21

they should have kept the CF card in the 450D and used SD's in this "1000D"

I tried to write my signature, but my pen ran out and I put a big scratch on my monitor

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

May 17, 2008 16:43 |  #22

Could be a revamped/rebadged XTi, or XT. I don't think that Canon would develop any new technology for this model when they have the ability to sell a very competitive introductory model using existing technologies and features.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 17, 2008 19:19 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

I doubt that they'll offer the full gamut of current technology on this very entry level machine. It'll be basics and no more. That is why I do not believe that it'll offer live view.

Dave

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 18, 2008 18:58 |  #24

John_TX wrote in post #5520010 (external link)
Canon already has the XT & XTi, both under $500. The XSi will probably hit the upper $600 range within a couple months. I really don't see canon releasing YET another Rebel.
To remain competitive, they'd have to stay in the 10-14MP range, regardless of what price point they're trying to target. The $450 G9 is 12MP. P&S Consumers aren't going to pass up a $450 12MP P&S for a 10MP DSLR that's the same price.
In addition, it will need Live-View if targeting the P&S crowd. Unless the XS is just a XTi w/Live-View, anything else will up-stage the $799 XSi. I'd say, at the most, we'll see canon maybe get more aggressive with the Rebel pricing, maybe move the XTi to the $400 mark.

I think if this is an "XS" it will just replace the XT/i line. 1000D doesn't really follow though, so it could be an "X" line that will replace the XT as the intro budget. the XTi will be slotted just under the XSi.. at least for now.

Juan ­ Zas
Goldmember
1,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 08, 2008 11:39 as a reply to  @ randomlinh's post |  #25

Announced by June, 10 th ...

http://www.martin-iglesias.com/home.html (external link)

See right bottom most corner of the this web page, a famous dealer here in Spain ....

Cheers
Juan

farrukh
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 08, 2008 11:54 |  #26

Juan Zas wrote in post #5683626 (external link)

See right bottom most corner of the this web page, a famous dealer here in Spain ....

:cool:

5D Mark II + 40D | Lenses: Sigma 150-500mm BigmOS / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Canon 70-200 F4L IS / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Sigma Macro 70mm f/2.8 EX / Sigma 10-20mm EX / Canon 50mm f/1.8 II / Sigma 1.4x APO TC / Kenko 2x PRO300 DG. Lighting: Canon 580EX II + Metz 58 AF-1 + Sunpak 383...
Flickr (external link)

John_TX
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 08, 2008 12:11 |  #27

Juan Zas wrote in post #5683626 (external link)

Does the dealer have any more information about the 1000D on that page? I'm not a Spanish speaker.

5D4 | 5D3 | 16-35 f4 IS | 24-105 f4 IS | 70-200 f4 IS | 100-400 II | Sigma 20 f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART | EF 1.4x III | EF 2x II | 430EX II |

Juan ­ Zas
Goldmember
1,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 08, 2008 13:22 |  #28

John_TX wrote in post #5683772 (external link)
Does the dealer have any more information about the 1000D on that page? I'm not a Spanish speaker.

No, sorry ....

.. but is going to be a low entry DSRL model

Cheers
Juan

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 08, 2008 18:07 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

It'll be along the same lines as the original film 1000. Bottom level, entry level. It'll be basic, and solely designed to combat Nikon's D40. Nothing more and nothing less.

Dave

John_TX
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 08, 2008 21:32 as a reply to  @ dpastern's post |  #30

I'm guessing the 1000D will round out the Rebel line and bring it up to date with the Digic III processor.
The XTi & XT will probably be discontinued shortly as they don't have Live View.
A 10-12MP 1000D + 18-55IS would probably make an excellent DSLR package if they could hit a ~$499 MSRP price point.

5D4 | 5D3 | 16-35 f4 IS | 24-105 f4 IS | 70-200 f4 IS | 100-400 II | Sigma 20 f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART | EF 1.4x III | EF 2x II | 430EX II |

sponsored links

14,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 1000D
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.