Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 Jun 2008 (Monday) 17:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The ART of Wedding Packages - Package Critique & Input!

figmented
640 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 09, 2008 17:06 |  #1

So all of us have read the threads titled 'How much do I charge?"

Well, this is similar, but I wanted to go more in depth with it.

It's common sense to charge for what you think you are worth, your skill, knowledge - but how should it all be presented to the client?

I have decided to charge more money up front in the initial cost - basically for my skills, knowledge, personality, speed, quality.

I also give away my High rez files because I'd rather not deal with printing - I use smugmug anyways, and I include instructions on how to get the best out of your images.

I'm also not an album designer. While I've designed my own, and I'm pretty good at it - it just takes too much time. I'd rather be shooting then sitting at home getting pissy that I have to spend another 8 hours trying to figure out what pics to select and choose, then finally decide the layout, play with some boutwell or kubota actions etc. Anways, I've decided to Outsource the album design - so far I've decided to go with pink penny. Though they arent that great, it's basic and nice and fairly cheap.

So in this thread - I ask:

HOW do you present your packages, WHY do you do your have your packages the way they are (ie; your reasoning, client reasoning, thats what the market wants, etc), and Do you outsource, or do everything yourself and would you rather shoot more and work less?

Also, I've included my current packaging - This is my 10th different iteration of this package system, and I think I've finally got it down to a good easy fairly 'workless' workflow that will help me be able to shoot more, and ultimately make more money.

For the record, I've only shot around a dozen weddings + engagement shoots, so I'm fairly new at this, but I'm a perfectionist and strive for awesome.

The reasoning behind this Package structure - is to make a big package with everything, a wedding package with just the wedding stuff minus album (i get this kind of client all the time) - an engagement package with a sign in book (when combined with the wedding package you get a $1600 package minus the album) with the ability to add on an album (to equal 2800 - and makes the master collection package seem like a great deal at 2400)

I've also included a 'catch all' package for anyone that wants the same style of photos that I take for any occasion - even short 2 hour weddings - and basically be a shoot and burn type system.

I did all of this so that I can please all types of clients without lessoning the value and quality of my work.

Thoughts, comments, critiques please! (resized lower quality for forum use)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Cliffs:
1. How do you do your packages and why?
2. Do you try to please all types of clients?
3. What do you think of my package structure and do you think it will work?

Canon 5D - Canon 20D - 580ex - Gary Fong Dong - Stofen
70-200 2.8L IS - 24-70 2.8L - 50 1.8 - 17-55 2.8 IS - 85 1.8
Lightroom & Photoshop Pro
www.slantphoto.com (external link)

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 09, 2008 18:11 |  #2

You spelled Spreads wrong in the first graphic.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

figmented
THREAD ­ STARTER
640 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 09, 2008 18:23 |  #3

thanks, fixed.

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 09, 2008 19:45 |  #4

Discussions of pricing really doesn't belong on a public forum where your customers can find them, you'd be better off on www.digitalweddingforu​m.com (external link) if you want to talk to professionals - there aren't many of us here. If you join PM me for links to useful threads. I have a few quick thoughts about your post that I will share here:
- Wedding albums are quite profitable, and don't need to take a lot of time. There are lots of recommendations for album designers on the DWF album forum - yes that have a whole forum just for albums.
- You don't need to advertise that you don't do your own album designs. How does that help you for your customers to know that?
- Outsourcing can be good if you don't have a lot of time or aren't good at one task, but for the best profitability do as much as you can yourself. I find a wedding is about three days work, between the photography, the post processing, the albums, and the communications. If you're doing one every weekend it's a full time job.
- Packages vs a la carte is a common question on dwf. I changed my pricing and packages at least monthly for the first couple of years I was in business. Now changes are more rare, but packages are usually tweaked for each customer.
- If you give away a CD you won't sell many prints, but on the other hand if you don't you might not get much business. Depends how good you are.
- Your price list will be pretty big, i'd get bored before I read the whole thing.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

figmented
THREAD ­ STARTER
640 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 13, 2008 16:48 |  #5

Well, the main concern with this post is.. what do brides want to be offered? All these packages are what we as photographers make up and hope they satisfy the bride. But what do the clients REALLY want?? They only want what we show them, I want to know how it would better them to design the packages better FOR THEM - not for me.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
The ART of Wedding Packages - Package Critique & Input!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.