Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 May 2008 (Monday) 21:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

macbook pro

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 31, 2008 14:22 |  #121

I actually spent quite a while writing a long, drawn out response, but I realized I don't ever read the long posts, and I am sure most other people don't either.
I buy Apple computers because the negligable extra cost bought me some features that I really liked including some extra security.

As much as anything else I decided to support a company with a good, well integrated product and some ideals like providing an IDE with every computer.

If you decide the MS is the way to go then I won't try to convince you, or get into that fight, but feel free to PM me if you really wanted to know and I will give you a more complete answer on why I made my decision and how I lied in my first post.

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

sponsored links
OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 02, 2008 10:45 |  #122
bannedPermanent ban

Stocky wrote in post #5631749 (external link)
I actually spent quite a while writing a long, drawn out response, but I realized I don't ever read the long posts, and I am sure most other people don't either.
I buy Apple computers because the negligable extra cost bought me some features that I really liked including some extra security.

As much as anything else I decided to support a company with a good, well integrated product and some ideals like providing an IDE with every computer.

If you decide the MS is the way to go then I won't try to convince you, or get into that fight, but feel free to PM me if you really wanted to know and I will give you a more complete answer on why I made my decision and how I lied in my first post.

What extra security? I was unaware Apple was including extra security? Are they including biometric technology now? I haven't seen any of that. IBM (now Lenovo) has laptops with built in biometric readers for security. Are they including some extra software package pupporting to provide additional security?

Also, when you speak of IDE you should be more specific.

If you are talking about Integrated Drive Electronics - then EVERY computer comes with that.

If you are talking about Integrated Development Environment, I'm not familiar with what is available on Apple, but Microsoft freely distributes Visual Basic Express to anyone who wants it. That's one of the easiest programming environments for Windows for doing a lot of basic things.

I don't have an issue with you going for Mac stuff, but please do your research before you incorrectly state things as fact.

SAY NO TO SPEC WORK! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 02, 2008 10:51 |  #123

My Dell has a biometric reader (fingerprint scanner between the touchpad buttons). I never use it. I don't wanna accidentally lock myself out of my own machine.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 02, 2008 11:23 |  #124

cdifoto wrote in post #5642755 (external link)
My Dell has a biometric reader (fingerprint scanner between the touchpad buttons). I never use it. I don't wanna accidentally lock myself out of my own machine.

Don't cut off your fngers ;) LOL

My Sony has it, and I never use it since its never been as reliable as typing in a password.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

jonstewart
44 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 02, 2008 12:11 |  #125

OdiN1701 wrote in post #5642727 (external link)
If you are talking about Integrated Development Environment, I'm not familiar with what is available on Apple, ...

He may be referring to Xtools (I think), which is freely available to download.
J

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 02, 2008 12:15 |  #126
bannedPermanent ban

jonstewart wrote in post #5643318 (external link)
He may be referring to Xtools (I think), which is freely available to download.
J

But regardless what is available, acting like the same type of thing is not available to PC users for free is ridiculous and misleading.

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 02, 2008 16:10 |  #127

He is probably referring to virus and spyware issues, I have both and must have anti-virus and spyware on my PC but have never needed it on my Macs.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 02, 2008 17:27 |  #128
bannedPermanent ban

taygull wrote in post #5644819 (external link)
He is probably referring to virus and spyware issues, I have both and must have anti-virus and spyware on my PC but have never needed it on my Macs.

I have run all my PC's without anti-spyware or anti-virus programs and I have never needed it on my PC's. Never gotten a virus.

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 02, 2008 17:38 |  #129

I agree. The anti-virus software is the first thing I delete off new PC's. It slows the computer down and causes more problems that it solved. I've been running 'naked' pc's ever since the first IBM-AT and never had a virus related issue.

Stephen

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 02, 2008 17:45 |  #130

Well unfortunately you guys are not the norm, with kids all over the internet opening emails they shouldn't it is just not possible run a pc without antivirus.

Sure if you are an above average PC user you can make it work...I'd prefer to use my computer like and Point and Shoot and put it in "P" mode...I don't want and can't expect the family to learn how to use it in "M" mode.

The proof is "in the pudding" for me, I bought both my girls iMacs for Christmas. They have not come to me 1 time with a lockup, "daddy" this won't work, virus, bug, etc. With the "home" pc using Windows XP we had problems all the time.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 02, 2008 21:56 |  #131

taygull wrote in post #5645312 (external link)
Well unfortunately you guys are not the norm, with kids all over the internet opening emails they shouldn't it is just not possible run a pc without antivirus.

IMO, thats exactly why so many people have issues with PCs. Its not the OS, or the hardware, its the install, deinstall, re-install, new game, old game, back to new game, mixing of drivers, old DLL's left behind, and so on. Having a bunch of people sharing the same PC just asks for disaster. All my PC's were stable and virus free because I was the only one using them.

My home PC is a wreak. Everyone else in the house uses it but me. And it has issues. My work PC's, rock solid for the most part.

Give a family a Mac to share, doing the same sort of things, and it's not going to be smooth sailing their either from my experiences. You don't need to be an above average user to make it work, just need to keep the fluff off it ;)

Stephen

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 03, 2008 09:20 |  #132
bannedPermanent ban

I guess I would agree....

Macs are best used by small children.

:P

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 08, 2008 00:30 |  #133

OdiN1701 wrote in post #5649548 (external link)
I guess I would agree....

Macs are best used by small children.

:P

Ouch. You just insulted the majority of the photographic/graphics arts community. No matter, they are only the ones that write our checks. We don't need em! ;)

So when are you ordering yours :mrgreen:

Stephen

dave ­ sparks
287 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 10, 2008 18:20 |  #134

WHY?,
Why do people argue the MAC/PC thing over and over to the point of both sides being down right abusive? It all boils down to personal taste and has very little to do with making photographs.
I use MACS. Why? They work for ME. All my friends use PC's. Why? They like them. They work for them. Who cares? Get what you like and are comfortable with and make pictures. Canon software and Photoshop of all flavors run on both!
Leopard and Vista in my opinion are both bloated, excuse my expression, turds. The only reason I have a MAC with leopard is to run Windows XP for a few games I like.That's all on my MacbookPro. If virtual PC would get up to DirectX 10 guess what? I'm going back to 10.4. Why? because I like it.
I am computer illiterate. PC's never worked for ME. I got tired of playing IT guy and thinking the blue screen of death was my screen saver. Computer's fault? Maybe. My fault? Maybe.
It is sad though that I've seen what seems like good people get hostile for nine pages over hardware! To anyone who reads this sorry, get what fits YOU! Every piece of equipment has good and bad. Pick what faults you can live with, load up Photoshop and make great pictures. Ain't that what it's all about?
Sparky

40D, 24-105L, 380EX Speedlight.
Olympus E3, 14-54, 50-200, EC14 and Metz 48 AF-1.

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 10, 2008 18:25 |  #135
bannedPermanent ban

sfaust wrote in post #5681683 (external link)
Ouch. You just insulted the majority of the photographic/graphics arts community. No matter, they are only the ones that write our checks. We don't need em! ;)

So when are you ordering yours :mrgreen:

Poking friendly fun is never wrong ;)

I'll never own anything made by Apple.

sponsored links

11,936 views & 0 likes for this thread
macbook pro
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.