Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Jun 2008 (Wednesday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

crooked/slanted pictures

jkaufman
70 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 11, 2008 08:40 |  #1

Lately I've noticed that my pictures are coming out a bit slanted. I figured that it was just me standing uneven when I took the shots, but then a friend borrowed the camera for their vacation and all their shots had the same result.

Is it possible that the sensor or something got jarred a bit? Is it something that a local camera shop can fix or does it require a visit to Canon?

It's a RebelXT, if that matters.

Thanks all...

sponsored links
jaybird
perverted infatuation with ducks
810 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 11, 2008 08:50 |  #2

Well, it seems that a lot of my landscape shots on my 30D and 5D are slanted too. It has to be the sensor as I would never not pay attention and hold the camera crooked ;)

Most likely thing is that you are standing unevenly or holding the camera a little crooked.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯​¯¯¯¯
Money Pit / Gear List
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jasonjoyce (external link)

lkb-28
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 11, 2008 08:53 |  #3

Hello jkaufman;

Easiest way to test this is to set-up the camera on a levelled tripod (use a hot-shoe spirit-level bubble if your tripod doesn't have one), and take an image of a straight line somewhere...

But I agree, most likely it's "user error"... I do it all the time... That's why I like the "Straighten" tool so much in PS...

Lee

Comments & Criticisms ALWAYS welcome...:D
Still a rank amateur - but learning day by day...:D

Equipment

Pete-eos
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 11, 2008 08:56 |  #4

I did this all the time on my 350D, pretty sure it was user error as I can nail it now with Live View and grid lines turned on..

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 11, 2008 09:05 as a reply to  @ Pete-eos's post |  #5

It is almost certainly the way the camera is being held. It is consistent because we are creatures of habit, and tend to hold the camera the same way all the time.

I strongly suspect that the sensor will only fit one way in the body, and that if it were not right, it would be rattling around, focus would be off, etc.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 11, 2008 09:07 |  #6

If it's the camera, then it's not normally the sensor that slanted, it's the viewfinder.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

jkaufman
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 13, 2008 08:43 |  #7

I would have agreed that it was MY user error with my shots. However, when my friend borrowed the camera and all his pictures came back crooked as well, I figured I wasn't as bad as I had originally thought and it was the camera's fault.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 13, 2008 09:08 |  #8

A crooked horizon is actually hard to see in the view finder. Because it is level in the viewfinder. Its the framing that is crooked. It does not have to be off by much for it to be obvious in a print. There are very few hand held shots that are perfect. Thoes that are close are corrected after the fact in PP.

I agree that it is most likely user error. And yes your friend may be holding it crooked as well. That is not a scientific test. Just do as suggested. But you don't need a hot shoe level. Just set the camera on a regular level ( that is set to level) and take a shot. This will prove it one way or the other.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

ef2
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 13, 2008 09:43 |  #9

My shots are always crooked. I need to make it a habit to use my gridlines :oops:

5D Mk III
Canon 580EX
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24mm f/3.5L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.0 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 135mm f/2.8 SF | 70-200mm [COLOR=black]f/2.8L IS | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX

Super-Nicko
Goldmember
1,652 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2008 09:56 |  #10

Did both yourself and your friend remember to wear a shoe on each foot or no shoes at all....

any combination of shoe on left foot, no shoe on right foot
OR shoe on right foot and no shoe on left foot could be resulting in "tilted" horizons.

This could result also in people asking if you had either lost 1 shoe or possibly have you recently found 1 shoe.

Anyone asked you this lately?
P31 in the user manual reads along the lines of not operating optical equipment while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You did mention your friend was on holiday - so I can imagine alcohol could have been a factor, what was your excuse?

hehe sorry just having a bit of fun here....

Youd be surprised at how much this happens... with a point and shoot you can hold the whole camera out away from you and probably judge level easier - the dslr is a big tool and it is hard to hold nice and level all the time...

My gallery - just posted some of my top shots (external link)
1DmkIII / 5DMKII [50mm f1.4] [85mm f1.8] [100mm f2.8 MACRO] [17-40mm f/4L] [24-70mm f/2.8L USM] [24-105mm f/4L IS USM] [COLOR=black][COLOR=bl​ack][[COLOR=black]100-400mm f/4.5-f 5.6L IS USM] Canon 1.4xII - Speedlite 580EXII - EPSON P-5000 - Lowepro Bags - Manfrotto 682B Monopod & 055XproB Tripod - 488RC2

ef2
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 13, 2008 10:40 |  #11

You know those new Nikon cameras have the little spirit-level meters in their cameras now...maybe Canon should too ;)

5D Mk III
Canon 580EX
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24mm f/3.5L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.0 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 135mm f/2.8 SF | 70-200mm [COLOR=black]f/2.8L IS | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 13, 2008 11:18 |  #12

I HAVE THOUGHT THE SAME THING.!!! But not a spirit level. Just a light that goes on when the camera is level or 90 degrees.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

twodeko
127 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 13, 2008 12:24 |  #13

The viewfinder on my 30d seems a bit crooked as well. I took a handheld picture of a door frame and aligned it with the autofocus dots, only to find that I still had to rotate it a click or two in Lightroom. Not as scientific as a tripod but it was a relatively fast shot.

Ben | 5D | 17-40 | 24-105 | 50 | 70-200
smugmug (external link)

afterburn
29 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 13, 2008 14:29 |  #14

jaybird wrote in post #5701506 (external link)
Well, it seems that a lot of my landscape shots on my 30D and 5D are slanted too. It has to be the sensor as I would never not pay attention and hold the camera crooked ;)

Most likely thing is that you are standing unevenly or holding the camera a little crooked.

I had the same thing with the 30D, but for some reason with my 5D I seem to get it right most of the time.

Canon 5D | 30D | EF 17-40/f4 L | EF 24-105/f4 L IS | EF 70-200/f2.8 L IS | Speedlite EX580II

Pro toys does not necessarely mean pro experience. Not with me at least.

nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 13, 2008 15:34 |  #15

I am 90% sure the VF of my camera is at a slight angle. I can line a line up with the bottom of my vf display and it comes out the same amount off (I think its like .5 degrees when i rotate in photoshop). If it werent such an easy thing to fix Id do some more testing but I really am not bothered enough by it to do omre testing.

sponsored links

14,678 views & 3 likes for this thread
crooked/slanted pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.