Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 May 2008 (Monday) 21:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

macbook pro

dave ­ sparks
287 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 10, 2008 18:42 |  #136

Aaargh, I'm going back to film! Nobody ever argued about enlargers did they? LOL, take care all.
Sparky

40D, 24-105L, 380EX Speedlight.
Olympus E3, 14-54, 50-200, EC14 and Metz 48 AF-1.

sponsored links
sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 10, 2008 19:22 |  #137

dave sparks wrote in post #5698463 (external link)
Aaargh, I'm going back to film! Nobody ever argued about enlargers did they? LOL, take care all.
Sparky

I wouldn't bet on that. I can't believe you missed the enlarger wars! :)

I can't be called a Mac bigot. I own PC's
I can't be called a PC bigot. I also own Mac's
I like them both for different reasons. They both make the same exact images. They are both trouble free (at least for me).

I guess that makes me bi-compexual ;)

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

dave ­ sparks
287 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 10, 2008 19:56 |  #138

Hi Stephen.
You hit it dead on. Enough of the PC/Mac wars. Lets make images.
It's all just tools we use.
Bi-compexual? Guess we'll leave that one be my friend LOL! Good one thogh!
Sparky

40D, 24-105L, 380EX Speedlight.
Olympus E3, 14-54, 50-200, EC14 and Metz 48 AF-1.

johnms88
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 11, 2008 11:25 |  #139

Switched to a macbook pro from being a mac hater about a year and a half ago--

Haven't turned on my PC once since-- should sell it to buy a lens...lol.

1Dmk2n:16-35L:24-70L:Sigma 70-200: 85 1.8 : 50 1.8: www.stuiephoto.com (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=776396

keegsmeister
380 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 11, 2008 11:32 |  #140

I hate my Dell.

Should I go all out and get a Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz PLUS my 70-200mm f/4 IS? :D:D:D

Keegan.
5DMK2+50D | 70-200mm f/2.8L and f/4L IS USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f4L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 580EX2 | 430EX |
http://www.keeganwong.​com/blog (external link)

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 11, 2008 12:25 |  #141

johnms88 wrote in post #5702310 (external link)
Switched to a macbook pro from being a mac hater about a year and a half ago--

Haven't turned on my PC once since-- should sell it to buy a lens...lol.

You could sell it for enough to get a new kit lens!

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 11, 2008 13:21 |  #142

taygull wrote in post #5702721 (external link)
You could sell it for enough to get a new kit lens!

Definitely. I'll buy it for that much. Then turn around and sell it on e-bay for enough of a profit to buy a much better lens ;)

Stephen

Crayons15
172 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 11, 2008 19:35 |  #143

i have a macbook pro and LOVE it!

7D | Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 | Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4 OS | 50mm 1.8 II | 70-200mm f/4L IS
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/iflovewasenough (external link)

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 28, 2008 05:26 |  #144

My PBook that I got second hand three years ago is starting too have problems of insomnia. It all started when it fell on the floor and got a nick on the back near the hinge. Then, 2 weeks ago, I had accidentally placed it on the floor. A lady, a fat one, had placed a leg of her chair on top of it and sat down. Lo and behold, the machine still works! It is not pretty and it does not sleep but it works.

The only time I had a problem with it was when a French version of Excel crashed and the hard disk was garbled. I had a backup...

Now I see my friends working with a Vista PC with no problems whatsoever.
My sister got another one as well explaining to me that all the problems she gets with the compatibility is from the mac guys who go around boasting how they can do everything on their macs. They cannot open email attached files, though...

So maybe after all the issue is not between the macs and the pc's but between Us the Smart and Them the Dumb.
Easy to take sides, non?

bag

qtfsniper
238 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 28, 2008 13:45 |  #145

I don't even know why I went in this thread. Everything gets heated when you have the OS wars. For me, windows was the way to go. It was a VERY high performance gaming PC for the price. The Motherboard is high end, has dual ethernet, 7.1surround sound, optical out, raid, ETC. ANYTHING you'll need.

Asus P5B Deluxe + Geforce 8800 GTX = 500
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600@ 2.9ghz =180
4gb PC6400 ddr-2 4-4-4-14 = 40 (after rebate)
Case + 800W PSU = 50 (after rebate)
500gb WD HD = 100
DVDR Drive = 20
OS = Free , easily for everyone, and legally. Microsoft promotion/education/et​c/

now lets cut the crap. Yes it's a box of parts. And? what? It's not rocket science to put together a PC. I'm not going to need a mac tech to tell me what I already know if something goes wrong. You'll be paying for the premium of service and pure apple profit. For the more tech savvy people, we can stick with our PC's because we save a HUGE amount of money building it ourselves, and already knows the ins and outs. Mac's are for people less savvy with PC's or just like it for whatever reason(money is no object). Macs use PC parts now, yes it's very easy to run a Microsoft OS on the mac, or an Apple OS on a Windows PC. For me, the price difference outweighed everything by far. If you can find me a high end setup for less than the price of the box alone, let me in on it.

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 28, 2008 20:37 |  #146

qtfsniper wrote in post #5809678 (external link)
I don't even know why I went in this thread. Everything gets heated when you have the OS wars. For me, windows was the way to go. It was a VERY high performance gaming PC for the price. The Motherboard is high end, has dual ethernet, 7.1surround sound, optical out, raid, ETC. ANYTHING you'll need.

Asus P5B Deluxe + Geforce 8800 GTX = 500
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600@ 2.9ghz =180
4gb PC6400 ddr-2 4-4-4-14 = 40 (after rebate)
Case + 800W PSU = 50 (after rebate)
500gb WD HD = 100
DVDR Drive = 20
OS = Free , easily for everyone, and legally. Microsoft promotion/education/et​c/

now lets cut the crap. Yes it's a box of parts. And? what? It's not rocket science to put together a PC. I'm not going to need a mac tech to tell me what I already know if something goes wrong. You'll be paying for the premium of service and pure apple profit. For the more tech savvy people, we can stick with our PC's because we save a HUGE amount of money building it ourselves, and already knows the ins and outs. Mac's are for people less savvy with PC's or just like it for whatever reason(money is no object). Macs use PC parts now, yes it's very easy to run a Microsoft OS on the mac, or an Apple OS on a Windows PC. For me, the price difference outweighed everything by far. If you can find me a high end setup for less than the price of the box alone, let me in on it.

9 times out of 10 if something goes wrong with a mac its either user error, or software related. If its the later, unless you are well versed in unix, you will need a tech. They dont have to be an apple tech, just someone that knows unix. IMO, macs are for people that need a reliable system running when they are counting on it. Time is money and if I am sitting at home trying to fix my PC, I am losing money. From a production point, having something that is ready to go straight out of the box saves time, money and headaches. One less thing to worry about when on a deadline...

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

StealthLude
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 29, 2008 22:29 |  #147

Intel Mac users always have the option to fun Windows XP or Vista in a virtual enviroment using a vmware product...

grats.

[[Gear List]]

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 30, 2008 15:30 |  #148

StealthLude wrote in post #5817938 (external link)
Intel Mac users always have the option to fun Windows XP or Vista in a virtual environment using a vmware product...

grats.

Or better yet, dual boot. I've got Windows XP installed as dual boot, as well as a vmware to that partition. After running it a couple times during the transition, I've yet to start up windows. I keep it around because I have two applications that I use rarely, but have no Mac equivalents. So I need to keep it around to use it about once or twice a year.

I'm missing a lot of good things from windows that I had grown accustomed to. But I am finding a lot o good things on the MAC as well. If I put them both on a scale, they would be just about dead even in my opinion. I could really go either way and be quite contempt.

Arguments in either camp that one is superior to the other as a whole is pointless. You would have to break it down by all its compoments based on its intended use, applications, performance, cost, and so on to make any differences significant. And for every application where the Mac shines, there is another applciation where Windows will shine.

Rarely does a 'my mac/win is better than your win/mac' comment come with a complete analysis of the users environment, application demands, use, needs, costs benefits, usage and performance analysis, compaitability to their applications or company environemnt, etc, and thus hollow comments with no real content.

But the arguments continue anyway ;)

Stephen

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 30, 2008 19:20 |  #149

keegsmeister wrote in post #5702345 (external link)
I hate my Dell.

Should I go all out and get a Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz PLUS my 70-200mm f/4 IS? :D:D:D

you'd pay twice as much as a 16.1" or 17" studio line dell to get the same stuff (you could get a 70-200 f2.8IS+16-35IS with either of those instead of a 17" macbook pro+70-200 f4 IS)?:rolleyes:

now for some facts for anyone that want to know if they should go apple or any other company

yea... did a quick check, dell T7400 workstation and mac pro with 2x xeons at 3gh, 2 500gb drives in raid (1 or 0, dell supports 5 and 10 out of box as well), nvidia 5600 graphics card (dual dual-link), 4gb of ddr2-800, 3 years support, dual 24" monitors (ultrasharp on dell, 23" cinema displays on mac pro). Dell comes out to about 9200, mac pro to 10000. either there's something wrong with me or apple's products are a bit overpriced there...

how about 17" laptops? studio line 17" and macbook pro 17" with 2.5gh processor, 4gb ram, 250gb disk, 1920x1200 display, 3 years protection (dell offers accidental damage protection as well, apple does not, was not included for fair analysis), bluetooth, wireless-n. dell also includes verizon wireless edvo WLAN adaptor built in (no option to get rid of it in selected model). dell is 1909, apple is 3448. anyone for a 70-200 f2.8 IS in addition to a 17" dell over the 17" macbook? ;)

just for people to know, i've had 6 dells so far, only one to stop working is a 9 year old dell that runs a pentium II. only thing that doesn't work on that thing is the harddrive, i've been running a livedisk with ubuntu on it just fine (though a bit slow to load programs). never had a complaint, other than a 9100 laptop that had it's mobo fried well within the warranty period, and that was likely caused by an acetone spill when an immature sister painted her nails while watching movies:rolleyes:.

edit for cory: i like taxidermy ;)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 30, 2008 19:35 |  #150

Are we beating a dead horse yet? Or should everyone continue to repeat what has already been said?

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

sponsored links

11,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
macbook pro
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.