Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Jun 2008 (Tuesday) 04:02
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How much should I refund?"
give back 100% of the payment
55.7%
give back 50% of the payment
40.2%
give back 25% of the payment
3.1%
do not give back any of the payment
1%

97 voters, 97 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I refund.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,653 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 11, 2008 21:54 as a reply to  @ post 5705889 |  #46

If a grand is going to make or break you have MUCH bigger problems than a refund. I got 3 jobs outta a little kindness.

sponsored links
deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 12, 2008 02:37 |  #47

While money is nice no good will come of keeping any of the money. Goto the bank tomorrow, draw up a money order and give them the money back.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

tomdi
179 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 12, 2008 12:06 |  #48

I've had the situation before. And I agree with most of the people here. I would give the money back. Did you have any serious expense concerning that shoot? If yes you could argue that you want to deduct that money from the 1000$.

Waiting for the check to clear is a must.

Out of curiosity, ... is it even possible to get a Pro to shoot a wedding for less than 1000$ ?

A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
Ansel Adams
---------------
www.tomdimaggio.org (external link) * InFocus (external link)http://www.alamy.com …i+Maggio&ns=1&l​ic=6&lic=1 (external link)

Hyun
134 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 12, 2008 12:33 |  #49

I vote for giving 100% back. In addition to the fact that the wedding is still far off, the bride notified as right away, and no photographic service was rendered other than the preliminary discussion and paperwor, the bride and groom have enough things to worry and stress about for the next three months.

If I were looking for a professional photographer and heard about this, I wouldn't think "there's a sucker I can take advantage of, regardless of what the contract says"--instead, your good gesture would be a huge plus in my books.

Hyun.
I have more photography enthusiasm than skills. Keeps me happy this way!

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 12, 2008 13:08 |  #50

Everyone keeps suggesting to refund all of the money by waiting for the check to clear. How about you write VOID on it and mail it back?

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2008 13:42 |  #51

Stocky-- he took the check to the bank already.
I voted to give 100% back. I lost one wedding this year because the groom died in a car accident. The mother of the bride called me and said that she understood I did not have to give anything back but if I could reimburse anything it would be appreciated.
I did a little checking first to make sure the story was legit---then mailed a check with a sympathy card.
I am in this business to bring a creative and valuable service to people while making a profit. For me it is more about doing what is right than what will make me more money.
It is never wrong to do what is right.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 12, 2008 13:51 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

Stocky wrote in post #5709775 (external link)
Everyone keeps suggesting to refund all of the money by waiting for the check to clear. How about you write VOID on it and mail it back?

Because it's pretty hard to void a check that's already been cashed. If I could do that, I'd write myself checks for $5000 every week, cash them and then void them.

SAY NO TO SPEC WORK! (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,300 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 12, 2008 19:51 |  #53

It's pretty interesting how the voting trend has been going.

Right at the start the votes were in favor of giving back 50%. But as time went on - and I believe sometime yesterday - 100% refund generosity pulled ahead. Quite interesting.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 12, 2008 23:14 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #54

Honestly, its pretty easy to tell someone else to give money back. I really think that the OP should give back 100%, toss in an additional $500 for their trouble, then shoot the wedding and do the pictures for free too..........

I still say, stick to the contract, the bride knew what she was signing when she signed it............ Its a good lesson in life...

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 12, 2008 23:58 |  #55

I say give it all back !

Hi

RSiewert
140 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 13, 2008 00:24 |  #56

Please do the right thing. Give the money back. Don't ad insult to injury, it's just wrong and when you do - do the right thing you will feel good about it and it does come back to you in some positive way.

Rosemary
Rebel XT : EF-100-400 f/4.5-5.6 : EF-70-200 f/2.8 : EF 24-105 f/4L : EF-S 10-22 : EF-S 18-55 kit lens : 420 EX
Rebel 2000 : Sigma 28-200

bham
216 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 13, 2008 11:09 |  #57

A couple of other options. Maybe come to an arrangement about if you book another wedding for that day (then you have no loss of income), or if they still are getting married then and still need a photographer if they are then changing to a smaller scaled down version maybe you could change to a lower cost package and then refund the difference.

But if you are gonna just give them 50% back, then I would suggest giving them some type of service for the remaining 50%. Not because you have to but because its a good thing to do, and then they won't feel they got nothing out of the money they did spend. If they get something out of it, they are probably less likely to get upset and that is a good thing.

"If every person who owns a camera is a photographer, then similarly everyone with a hammer is a carpenter. A tool doesn't mean squat unless you know how to use it."- me

ThomasOwenM
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 13, 2008 15:45 |  #58

OdiN1701 wrote in post #5695303 (external link)
BEFORE YOU GIVE BACK ANY MONEY!

Wait for that check to clear the bank. I would give it at least 10 business days. The last thing you want is to return the cash only for their check to bounce and then you're out $1000.

That's a very good point. There are scammers who earn their living pulling stunts with checks like this.

===============
1D Mark III, Canon 50L f/1.2, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, 430 EX flash, ST-E2 Transmitter, Quantaray QSX 9500 tripod, Manfrotto monopod

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,300 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 13, 2008 19:50 |  #59

Folks, don't expect any more commentary from the OP..... check his status.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

totalphoto
597 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 13, 2008 20:32 |  #60

I am a give it all back guy...I want people to WANT me to shoot their wedding. HOWEVER, great points are made for having a contract. I bet she is not getting a cheaper dress, or returning it, less guests? Diferent venue? Selling house? What if someone gets a better job before the wedding or even after, can you say, well your new job pays $20,000 more a year, I am going to need an extra $200 to shoot your wedding now.
Im a fair guy, and I would ask you to refund what the contract says I deserve, and would not expect a cent more.
THIS IS TOUGH!!!!!
And I think everyone here would have a better feel if we met the person.

www.TotalPhoto.ca (external link)
Canada's Official Nascar Photographer
Obama Book
http://www.blurb.com/b​ookstore/detail/562084 (external link)

sponsored links

5,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I refund.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.