Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 21:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can you use the same CF card on two different Canon cameras?

djrambis
60 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 14, 2008 21:25 |  #1

Just wondering if a single CF can be used on two different cameras? For example, I have a 30D and my buddy has an XTi. We are shooting together and he wants to try my camera but wants to use the CF in his XTi in my 30D but his XTi already has pics from his XTi. Is this possible?

Canon 5K MKII / 35mm f2.0 / 50mm f1.4 / 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 14, 2008 21:26 |  #2

it is just flash memory, it is possible.

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 14, 2008 21:47 |  #3

djrambis wrote in post #5723179 (external link)
Just wondering if a single CF can be used on two different cameras? For example, I have a 30D and my buddy has an XTi. We are shooting together and he wants to try my camera but wants to use the CF in his XTi in my 30D but his XTi already has pics from his XTi. Is this possible?

Yes.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Rollout
135 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 14, 2008 21:53 |  #4

o yes, it'll work.. :)

Canon 40d and things

djeuch
933 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2008 21:55 |  #5

But it might mess up your filename numbering, so beware!

Canon 40D w/BG-E2N Battery Grip | Canon 5D w/BG-E4 Battery Grip | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 w/ET-65III | EF 50mm f/1.4 w/ES-71II | Canon 1.4x TC | Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW | B+W 77mm MRC (010) filter x2 | Speedlite 580EX II

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 14, 2008 22:38 |  #6

sure you can. i used to do it between my canon and my (sold) fuji.

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,230 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 14, 2008 22:45 as a reply to  @ johnlo's post |  #7

I have four EOS DSLR cameras: 30D, 350D, 10D and an oldie but goodie D60 which is converted to full-time infrared. I interchange my CF cards among these cameras without any thought or any bad results. I may end up with several sets of file numbers on a single card, if I don't take the take to erase the images between cameras but, that is absolutely no problem.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 14, 2008 22:48 |  #8

That's what happens when there is an industry standard.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

NYC2SOCAL
207 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 15, 2008 01:00 |  #9

djeuch wrote in post #5723289 (external link)
But it might mess up your filename numbering, so beware!

+1

It'll actually change your internal numbering. So for example, when I first bought my XTI, I had it set to incremental numbering. I "accidently" inserted a CF card that had pictures that started in the 7xxx range. My camera inherited that numbering.. Didn't realize it until I noticed all my pics were in the 7000 range, when I knew I had less than 2000 clicks.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 15, 2008 06:03 |  #10

djrambis wrote in post #5723179 (external link)

While it is possible, you may have problems with the formatting of the cards (the folder naming, etc.) and you WILL have problems with the file naming (numbering) in your camera changing. The same goes for the file naming/numbering in his camera.

It would be far better, in my opinion, to completely re-format a memory card before using it in a different camera unless the camera type is the same and the file naming/numbering is controlled so that you don't have upsets when doing the card swap.

Suggest that your buddy use a small CF card that has been freshly formatted (in your camera) before using your camera.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 15, 2008 06:15 |  #11

Skip is spot on - unless the images are not "critical" - I would strongly recommend formatting the card *in the camera its being used in*.

I have had problems in the past with swapping cards from one camera to another (without re-formatting in the camera they were about to be used in)

TJ

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 15, 2008 15:46 as a reply to  @ TeeJay's post |  #12

Even reformatting a card used in one camera in another camera will not clear the file numbering. The only way to make sure the card is completly clean before swithing it to another camera is to fromat it in your computer first.

I have five different Canon digital cameras, D60, 20D, 40D (enroute from B&H), a G5 and an A70. Each camera has (and will, in the case of the 40D) it's own dedicated set of media cards that are not used in the other cameras.

Even though my downloading program will assign unique file names to my images, based on which camera they were taken with, I don't switch the cards because I want the file numbering for each camera to be progressive. It helps me keep track of the approximate number of actuations for each camera.

John

LotsToLearn
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 16, 2008 06:45 |  #13

The OP will only have numbering issues if his count is lower than the count from his buddy's camera. Otherwise no issue for the OP, just for his buddy, and who cares about that? :)

jms_uk
410 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2008 16:47 |  #14

will the numbering be OK if two CF cards are used in one camera?

Canon EOS 1DMk3 / EF 17-40L f4 /  / EF 70-200L f4 / Flickr (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 16, 2008 17:56 |  #15

Yes, as long as they're only used in that one camera or wiped clean before reuse. The numbers in an old card will be lower than those in your more-recently-used card, so won't jump the camera's count.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

2,230 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can you use the same CF card on two different Canon cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.