Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I can't believe it.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 14, 2008 22:52 |  #1

I just get four new L lenses back from NJ and I'm checking out the 70-200 f/2.8 and one of my children says "dad, you have a bug inside you lens".
I think, ya right...until I look and sure enough, there is a wee little bug trotting around under my distance window.

My choice is to let it die and don't worry about it or send it back to NJ. Can it find it's way into the innards?

Opinions anyone.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 14, 2008 23:00 |  #2

What I would do.....let it go....others may have a differing opinion :)
edit...btw...it's already found its way into the innards ;)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 14, 2008 23:02 |  #3

I wouldn't keep an infested lens. :D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

StuffNJunk
477 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 14, 2008 23:09 |  #4

Wow...A bug in your lens! I've never heard of that before...I think I would have to send it back to NJ :)

~Dale~ Professional Pharmacist...Amateur Photographer
My Gear: Canon EOS 5D | Canon EOS 300D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 24-105mm IS f/4L | Canon EF 70-200mm IS f/4L | Canon EF 100-400mm IS f/4.5-5.6L | Canon 430EX Speedlite | Canon Backpack 200EG

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 14, 2008 23:12 |  #5

That's feral, send it back

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 14, 2008 23:13 |  #6

There was a post on FM a while back from this guy in Italy who had all these tiny bugs inside the elements...(shudder)..​total infestation

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 14, 2008 23:26 |  #7

Sir, you have a one of kind lens. You should keep it. :)

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

h0rde
506 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 14, 2008 23:56 |  #8

maybe the L actually stands for lice, and the rest of us just haven't seen it.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 mkII | 7-14mm f/2.8 | 12-100mm f/4 | 40-150mm f/2.8 | 25mm f/1.2 | 20mm f/1.7 | Lensbaby Velvet 56 | Lensbaby Burnside 35 (Canon EOS mount) | Zeiss 25mm f/2 (Canon EOS mount) | (Formerly Canon 5DC, 40D, 5D2...)

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 15, 2008 00:06 as a reply to  @ h0rde's post |  #9

OK, bad pun, so when you get your lens back, it hurts to say it "Did they get the bugs out this time?" Sorry couldn't help it. It was just "buggin" me. Sorry again.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 15, 2008 00:11 |  #10

Well the first thing you need to do is document it. There is a bug walking around in your lens and the post doesn't get a picture? What the hell?

If you bought it new and have a full warranty then I would just use it as long as it works. You might want to send it in for a cleaning before your 1 year expires though.

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,645 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 15, 2008 00:14 |  #11

A bug inside the lens. hmmm. Was it a certified Canon bug perhaps?.. Maybe they're the ones doing the calibration nowadays. If so, I'd wait till it dies, and then send the lens back. Mhuahahahaha...ahem.

If it were me, I'd find a way to take a photo of that. And then make a big deal out of that. Who in He-- did the QA on that before shipping it out?.. I once had to send a brand new camera in, they fixed something, but when I got it back, almost nothing on the viewfinder worked. My first question was, 'you change a faulty shutter assembly, a main board, and you do not even think of looking into the viewfinder before sending the 1D back to me?'... They faxed me a shipping label (overnight), then they fixed it, and overnighted it again. Still, I missed my big shoot with the new 1D, but nothing ever failed again on that camera.

As far as me, nothing is really acceptable in terms of quality assurance. If your kids found the bug by simply looking at it, a tech would not have had such a hard time either.

And the problem with a dead bug is its tiny wings, the legs, it all begins to fall apart and become a bit of dust that you can never quite clean out. Then they charge you for dust on the lens or some crap like that.

Good luck though. (My saying is "A mispelled Lens -Cannon- is good luck, a turd in your salad is just plain wrong"). Nothing lucky about a bug inside your weather resistant lens.

--Mario
"Sensa luce non si vede nessuna cosa"--Lorenzo Ghiberti

franklinn
previously 'CorporationMe'
1,424 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2008 00:19 |  #12

cdifoto wrote in post #5723570 (external link)
I wouldn't keep an infested lens. :D

Disgusting. I too would not keep an infested lens. lol. Send it back!

Frank | 5D MK II
| 35 1.4L | Marketplace Feedback

pipspeak
77 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 15, 2008 00:26 |  #13

Take a photo and send it back (the photo is essential since the Canon techs might not see it again). Might be just one bug now but if there's a lady bug in there, too, you could end up with a whole lotta little bugs ;)

Be sure to call Canon first and have them send you a shipping label.

Canon ­ Soldier
..."kind of like Zooms"?
803 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 15, 2008 00:35 |  #14

can we pleaaaaassseee get a picture? This is really funny (probably not so much for you)! Whatever you do, stay calm. The last thing you want to do is bug out. I'd just send it back, you don't deserve a PEST crawling around in your 1000 dollar peice of glass! What a bugger. Just make sure you carefully insect it, gah! i mean inspect it, before you send it in claiming they let a bug in your lens.

Na, just kidding, you are still a loser.
^^ If you higlight this you will be cool ^^

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 15, 2008 00:43 |  #15

The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!! The NOINKS did it!!

IF this is the least of your worries no big issue. Now if you hear it start singing THEN you have problems. Actually I had a 400 5.6 with ants in it. It seems they had a thing for the aperture lube. I sent it in to Canon CPS and they cleaned it out. It is not unusual at all.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
I can't believe it.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.