Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Jun 2008 (Wednesday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me buy filters!!

bphillips330
640 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 18, 2008 10:35 |  #1

Ok, here is the gear
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (67 mm ring)
Canon 70-200 f2.8 is (77 mm ring)

Here is what I am looking for on a budget without sacrificing quality (does that sentance make any sense? :oops: or even possible)

I need a circular polirizer, Neutral Density Filter, and a gradiated neutral density. THe reason I want these is I am traveling to acadia and taking nature, sunrise/sunset photos. I have read that Hoya Pro, B+W, Hitech are good filters

I want a system that for now won't cost a ton, but i can use on both lenses. So, I figure I will buy a circular polizer for the 67 mm (or maybe buy one in 77mm size with an adapter that will fit my 67 mm (although i heard you can't use a hood then)))

Soooooooo, Then my other idea to kill two birds with one stone is get a cokin holder, and buy solid ND filters, and graduated ND filters that can slid into the filter holder. I would love a whole set, but figure if i get a .6 or .9 that will cover all bases? I am looking to take some longer exposures, in daytime, or say a waterfall or the like?

Please help me put together a package

I called 2filters.com and this is what she recomended.

67mm Polirizer

• hoya pro 1 $75.44 Or step up to B+W to $116.62
cokin p kit
  • Hitech 3 stop (.9) hard filter and adapter ring for $58
  • buy an adapter ring for a 67mm lens for $14.72
  • .6 hitech solid nd filter for 35.44
This gives me a gradutaed ND and a solid ND filter so i can take sunrise and long exposure pictures.

luigis
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 18, 2008 10:47 |  #2

My recommendation would be:
Get the ND and NDGrad in both 77 and 67 so you can use the hood, those should be cheap so not a big problem to get them in both sizes. If you can't afford that just get them in 77 and use the adapter.
Get the best polarizer you can in 77mm and a 77 to 67 adapter. Forget about the hood when you use a polarizer because you have to turn the filter ring before each shot. Polarizers are expensive and the 77mm will suit most of your lenses with an adapter ring.

Luigi

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

bagtagsell
602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 18, 2008 12:08 |  #3

Check out hvstar.com for some great deals on filters.

Mark Ryan Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear List

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 18, 2008 12:30 |  #4

Hi,

I have no problem with either of the recommendations you got for the polarizer. Those brands would be fine, I'd ad Heliopan as another top quality one. In these, the multi-coated versions are best.... and shop around for the best price.

I'd try to avoid step rings... They get in the way of lens hoods, which are every bit as important as filters to help your image quality, sometimes more-so. That means you will need both 67mm and 77mm CPLs, if you want one for each lens. If you can't swing both right now, I'd just get the 67mm for the lens more likely to be used for landscapes, if that's where you feel you will most often use this filter.

There are less expensive brands of CPLs, some with multi-coating. The above brands are "the best", but you might get a pretty darned good one that costs a lot less. Try to get multi-coated, or go with one that's single coated or not at all and just be very certain to always shade it with a lens hood.

Do you really need an ND filter? A polarizer can sometimes serve instead, since it cuts over a stop of light. On the other hand, an ND isn't really all that expensive. Again, I'd guess you would mostly need it on your landscape lens. And, a simple, screw-in one is usually the easiest and cheapest route for an ND (but definitely not for a Graduated ND).

By the way, perhaps you are already aware of this... sunrise/sunset - with the sun in or near the image area - is one time when it's a big no-no to put any filter on your lens, especially a polarizer due to it's two layers. In this situation you are almost guaranteed to get a lot of flare, artifacts and lower contrast if you install a filter. It's practically always better to just leave the filter off.

Cokin P-series has two "Gray Graduated" that are ND Grads, might be a less expensive alternative, but I haven't looked at the prices of them lately. Definitely get the P-Series filter holder, but will you use it on the tele zoom at all? You might only really need the ND Grad on the wider lens. Lee is another manufacturer who makes filters and accessories to fit Cokin P-Series.

Cokin also sells a modular, clip on hood for their P filter holder. Might be a good idea. I use a Lee hood for mine, but it's more expensive. I think you would only need a single segment of the hood, for your 17-50 lens.

Have you shopped used? A couple weeks ago I went to a local Photo Fair that's held in my area every few months. There is one seller there who has thousands of filters, all perfectly usable. This is the sort of place I'd look for a screw-in ND filter, for example. There's also a shop in my area that has a lot of used filters all the time. This might be a way to make your budget go a lot farther.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the trip!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me buy filters!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.