Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 09:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Noise

Nu2this
50 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Location: Currently in south Louisiana but getting back to Texas as soon as possible

Jun 19, 2008 09:59 |  #1

I have been having a problem with a lot of noise in my pictures. When I view them at 100% there is very noticable noise and the pictures just aren't as clean as they should be. Smaller prints come out ok but if I crop and enlarge the image I'm not happy with them. I shot some the other day and they ranged from 100 ISO to 800 ISO, and there was noise in all of them. My gear is- Canon Rebel XTi, Canon 24-70 f2.8, and Canon 70-200 f2.8L, mostly shoot in M mode, and switch back a forth between auto and manual focus, hand held. I have shot nearly 2800 pictures with this set up and I'm not getting nearly as good of pictures as what I see on here. Not sure what the problem is. Is it me, wrong camera set up, defective equipment, bad CF cards (use Sandisk Extreme II) or something else? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Canon 5D MII
Canon 24-70 2.8L, Canon 70-200 2.8L,
Canon 580 EX II

sponsored links
RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 19, 2008 10:01 |  #2

Post some samples.

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

Nu2this
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Location: Currently in south Louisiana but getting back to Texas as soon as possible

Jun 19, 2008 12:12 |  #3

I knew that one was coming. Not set up to do that at work but will see if I have time this evening.

Kevin
Canon 5D MII
Canon 580 EX II

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,602 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 19, 2008 12:15 |  #4

Yup, can’t say much without a sample. Odds are though that you’re underexposing a bit when you take the pic and boosting it a bit to compensate in PP. This will increase noise and sometimes quite a bit depending on how much your pushing the pic.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 19, 2008 12:16 |  #5

Impossible to advise without samples. What is considered noisey to one person might be considered just fine to another.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 19, 2008 12:45 |  #6

How do they look printed or when viewed at 'normal' sizes - It's too easy to pixel-peep at 100% (and higher) with digital... :-)

In my experience most so called 'noisy' images look fine when printed or reduced for viewing on a screen.

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 19, 2008 21:10 |  #7

If you're worried about noise, get noise reduction software. Noise Ninja (external link) and Noiseware (external link) are among the best-known examples of these programs and both have trial downloads available.

Be aware that even the best exposures from the best cameras can appear to have noise, especially in dark "shadow" areas, if the image's dynamic range is wide enough.

Nu2this
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 19, 2008 21:40 as a reply to  @ DC Fan's post |  #8

I won't have time to send samples tonight, don't have them loaded to a website yet. I played around with a couple of them and it seems that they show more noise in the "fit to screen" view than in 100% view. If I backed the sharpening all the way to 0 they didn't show much noise at all. The pictures we had printed came out fine, but they are all 4x6 for now. I'll do a little more playing with some of my older pictures with different colors, ranges, etc. and see what I actually have before going any further. As a side note, the only PP software I have right now is Canon's DPP, looking at getting Photoshop Elements very soon. I'll re-post with pictures once I've gone a little further.

Kevin
Canon 5D MII
Canon 580 EX II

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 19, 2008 21:56 |  #9

I think I know the problem you're experiencing, it's the DPP sharpening that's causing all those bits of black and white dots all over your images (some people call this "snow" because it looks like white and black grain crap all over the picture). It's because RAW files have had no Noise reduction applied, so when DPP sharpens it, the noise is being sharpened hence it looks way worse than it is.

What you need to do is take sharpening to zero, activate the NR (I often use 2 luminance, and 1 chroma), and then sharpen (I usually go 1 or 2 max in DPP, and sharpen in PS instead if needed)

Also expose to the right of the histogram and then throttle back in DPP, this will help avoid noise and give you clean results

You will notice that JPGs don't look crazy like that, only RAW files you're putting through to DPP.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 19, 2008 22:03 |  #10

If both your Canon zooms exhibit high noise I'd suspect your camera or camera settings. Shooting properly exposed images at 100 ISO should be noise free!

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIO (external link)
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 19, 2008 22:32 |  #11

Easiest fix, stop viewing at 100% and don't crop so aggressively.. :)

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links

836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Noise
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.