Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Jun 2008 (Friday) 01:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pano Choices for setup need help/advice...

greenxeyezz
382 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 20, 2008 01:36 |  #1

Been looking into doing multirow panos.

Looking to setup 360 Setups with virtual tours.

I understand I would need to take pictures horizontally with overlap. Then "rotate" the camera up @ a degree, and then RETAKE horizontally with similar or same overlap. then "rotate" the camera down past the level horizontal originally took at at a degree down, probably same as degree up, then take pictures along the horizontal line with same or similar overlap.

OBVIOUSLY I'll need a tripod ; ).

Now the first question is which one? Light weight not NEEDED. (notice I said needed, if I can get a GREAT deal on a lightweight for similar priced aluminums fine)

Secondly, and this is the biggest one, what "setup" would I need to go with for "head"'(S)?

I was looking at the Really Right Stuff Package,

Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package

http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …kc=1&iQty=1&Sou​rce=VC&eq= (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

for 795.00

I then add an L plate for my 5d B5D-L: Lplate for Canon 5D without grip (external link)
for 140.

Is this a good setup? Too pricey? Can I get by with a different setup? (at a cheaper cost?)

If this MUST be the setup, which legs? (see question one)
If I can go with a different setup, which legs? (see question one) (if it will change, I am assuming yes as I am adding more weight)

This will be used with only the gear you see below, and I have no plans of adding any LARGER (heavier) lenses, maybe smaller (and lighter).

Thanks!

5D - 85 f/1.2 L - 24-105 f/4.0 L - 70-200 IS f/4.0 L - Nifty Fifty - 430EX - Just Starting Out

sponsored links
greenxeyezz
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 21, 2008 12:45 |  #2

anyone?

5D - 85 f/1.2 L - 24-105 f/4.0 L - 70-200 IS f/4.0 L - Nifty Fifty - 430EX - Just Starting Out

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 21, 2008 15:33 |  #3

No doubt the RRS is nice.
Manfrotto makes something similar, as well as some other brands: Click (external link)

Here is a thread.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

bagtagsell
602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 21, 2008 20:53 |  #4

try googling nodal ninja. As far as legs go you'll get some model of gitzo recommended. I, however, have had really good luck with Chinese knockoffs of gitzo.

Mark Ryan Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear List

greenxeyezz
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 21, 2008 22:09 |  #5

thanks for the help, after looking at the options from everyone else, the extra 150 or so i would spend with RRS makes me feel a bit more comfortable having the "full" solution rather than a mix and match solution from other companys. and it seems RRS is very reputable too.

for legs, will anything that supports the "lbs" work regardless of the legs I get? For example if legs support 15lbs and camera + lens + head unit does not >15lbs then I am fine no?

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 22, 2008 06:02 as a reply to  @ greenxeyezz's post |  #6

Not necessarily...if you're gear was perfectly centered over the tripod, maybe. But with the RRS pano kit, the load on the tripod will be higher up, and sitting a little offset at times. Any vibration will be magnified due to the offset. There's more to a tripod than simple "capacity", there's also torque from long lenses or offset loads to consider. Hate to say it, but a Gitzo 2-series or 3-series is probably your best bet with a setup such as this. There are a few threads in here regarding the Chinese knockoffs (Benro/Induro) and catastrophic failures with very expensive gear mounted on them...do a search and they'll come up. I'm not saying that every one will fail, but after reading those threads you can form your own opinion. Feisol also gets pretty good marks.

You won't be sorry with the RRS pano kit...top quality, well-made, and very functional. I have some of their gear, and the pano kit is moving up on the list. I'd avoid the pano brackets that are made out of plastic.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Bob ­ D.
141 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 23, 2008 17:37 |  #7

greenxeyezz wrote in post #5765034 (external link)
anyone?

You will probably think this is crazy, but what about a surveyors tripod? They are rugged, lightweight, AND built to be steady. They are also less than what a photo tripod costs.

http://www.cstberger.c​om/Products/Tripods/El​evator.htm (external link)

Have a look at some of these just as examples of whats out there. There are of course many other manufacturers, this is just one. You'll need to figure out how to adapt from their standard 5/8"-11 mount but that shouldn't be too tough. There are also a couple different style heads and one may be more open to being adapted to photography than another.

I have been playing with getting one for use with my 4x5 view camera. Wish I could afford a digital back to fit that. :)

sponsored links

764 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pano Choices for setup need help/advice...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.