Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Nov 2007 (Thursday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Ben's Newbie Guide to Digital SLR Photography

tobagos
53 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 02, 2008 23:26 as a reply to  @ post 5646861 |  #121

My timing is perfect...it is great to see Ben posting and promising to deliver on part three. I have been off the forums for a few weeks because I wanted to practice all that good advice. One thing I have learned in my short time online here is that you MUST practice, practice, practice. That is the only way to really get IT. So, thanks for parts 1&2 and I will be checking back in a couple of weeks for Part 3 (lol)

AnnE Photography, Washington DC
www.picasaweb.google.c​om/tobagosc (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​acharles_photography (external link)
XTi; Battery Grip, kit lens, 15mm fisheye lens, 70-200mm f4L, Speedlite 430EX, filters, etc. Hopefully more stuff and some work...

sponsored links
nettsie1015
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 03, 2008 13:50 |  #122

Thank you SO much for taking the time to do this! This was clearly stated and is a wealth of usable information! I can't wait to read part three :).

Lynette
Canon Rebel XTi :D

pampers37
257 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 03, 2008 22:52 |  #123

great post thank you.

flickr (external link)

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 06, 2008 04:10 |  #124

GREAT INFO!

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

renlok
249 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 08, 2008 08:48 |  #125

What a great read. I've just got my first SLR a couple days ago and I'm going to test out what I've just learn tomorrow.

looking forward to reading more of your stuff
thx

Renlok (external link) | G+ (external link)
Canon 70D | Canon 5D MKii | 35L | Sigma 24-105 | 100L | 85 | Sigma 150-500

str8addicted
527 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2008 19:48 |  #126

Great read....... helped me on a couple things i was to lazy to read up on...

Sony A7RIII || Sony A7SII || Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art || Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art|| Sony 24-104 F4 G OSS || Ronikon 14mm 2.8 AF || Irix 11mm F4 ||

canuck22
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 09, 2008 14:20 as a reply to  @ str8addicted's post |  #127

Just adding my vote of thanks for this!After searching a LOT for something that would concisely explain the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed, your post was easily the best I found. It got me on my way, and got me excited about learning more.Thx a lot!

Nooblet
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 11, 2008 11:45 |  #128

Disneypics wrote in post #4983911 (external link)
Wow! Hats off to you -- what a fantastic guide and obviously helpful to so many of us. These concepts often feel very "theoretical" -- but you made them seem "real." :D

I was only confused about one thing: I had thought the rule of thumb for bokeh (other than using maximum aperture) was that the longer the focal length, the greater the bokeh. So wouldn't standing farther from the flower (and shooting at maximum focal length) increase bokeh?

Many, many thanks!

I was wondering the same thing.

I've seen some good bokeh using reach and from getting up close (lol that sounds kinda.... bad), but I've always been curious as to the general consensus on whether using the lens' "reach" or using sneaker zoom is advisable for desirable bokeh.

All in all an excellent guide. It was quite the refresher after having studied this a few years ago. I all but forgot the basics and this guide brought it all flooding back.

Thanks!

Black ­ Sheep
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 14, 2008 15:53 as a reply to  @ Nooblet's post |  #129

Thanks for that Ben, I stumbled upon this post whilst looking on the internet.

The 3 factors of Apreture, Shutter Speed and ISO Rating aren't the easiest the things in the world to grasp. I have read about these things many times but what you've witten was by far the best and most easy to understand.

Cheers.

Smad728
376 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 17, 2008 21:30 as a reply to  @ Black Sheep's post |  #130

Very well done.

Sean.Devine.Photograph​y (external link)

desi_xti
41 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 17, 2008 22:00 |  #131

hey ben! great stuff there!! i've really learned something!! i haven't got my camera yet but i'm learning it and preparing myself!!

where's part 3 btw?? it's been a while now...

ddphotography
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 23, 2008 19:40 |  #132

Great thread. I just read every single post and am ready for RAW...Can't wait :O)

Very nice work.

sam.i.am
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 24, 2008 02:41 |  #133

Excellent stuff Ben, thank you very much!

I eagerly await Part 3!

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

Ben ­ Fried
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2008 23:39 |  #134

It's coming guys ;). Work is crazy right now (which is good and bad, I guess). I didn't forget about you, I promise! Thanks again for all of the replies.

- Ben Fried
- Visit my Gallery! (external link) | Ben's Newbie Guide to Digital SLR Photography
- Body: Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3 Grip
- Lenses: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L , EF-S 10-22mm f/2.8, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Birdingben
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 29, 2008 03:14 as a reply to  @ Ben Fried's post |  #135

Excellent guide,Ben - many thanks!

sponsored links

731,207 views & 20 likes for this thread
Ben's Newbie Guide to Digital SLR Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.